Vancouver Saltchuk

Fished Sunday morning from 9 to 1. Started off south Bowen. Saw about 10 to 12 boats out. Trolled for 2 hours with out a sniff. Didn't see any nets come out on any of the other boats.

Got a bit rough around 11 for the girlfriend, so moved to backside of Bowen. Hit an 8 pound spring right away at 157 feet on UV Flasher with acid bath spoon. My son had fun reeling that in. That was it for action. Couple of crabs rounded out the morning.

Thanks coho, good report and to the point. Good call to get out of the wind and good on ya for finding one out of the wind.

I was out off south Bowen on Sunday later for the afternoon around 1 pm and it got even rougher still, to about 2 pm then wind died off a fair bit so I stayed out till 5 pm. Cowans to hump and then over to QA and nothing for 3+ hrs!... not even and bite ...till way out off Passage and then hit a barely legal chinook at 110' on 5 1/4" chovy. One fellow at my marina (who is a regular out there) fished all morning into afternoon out there with not even a hit but another marina neighbour got two legals out at hump area in the earlier am.

Was off south Bowen from 8am thru 11am on Sunday. Successfully lost a +/- 15 lber at the surface at 9am while clearing my other equipment out of the way. Fish was at 130 feet and on a "cookies and cream" kingfisher spoon. Nothing like catch and (unintentional) release to start the season.

Was out yesterday. Started off of Cowan around 8am and trolled out to the hump area. saw about 12 boats out there and fished around the area till about noon when it got a bit too sloppy. Pretty quiet. Moved into Tunstall bay area and worked that area to about 6. Picked up a 21lbs spring while trolling between Roger Curtis and Cowan. 120ft using green flasher and a green and chartreuse coyote spoon.

quote:Originally posted by salmon slayer

Was out yesterday. Started off of Cowan around 8am and trolled out to the hump area. saw about 12 boats out there and fished around the area till about noon when it got a bit too sloppy. Pretty quiet. Moved into Tunstall bay area and worked that area to about 6. Picked up a 21lbs spring while trolling between Roger Curtis and Cowan. 120ft using green flasher and a green and chartreuse coyote spoon.

Had some good action further out today with no other boats around. Depths were between 70-135. Last years Anchovies did most of the damage with the Flamin' Hans . Intensifying Algae bloom no doubt cutting down light penetration screwing things up. Finished with a 12, 10, 15 over a 6.5 hour troll. Had one larger fish pop off at 50 feet as I was lowering the rigger which barked out line like a mature fish but it didn't stay hooked up for long. Crab traps stupid full---triple limits in 2 traps!!! Shouldn't have bothered with the 2nd trap! All in all, a good Sunday!

:D:D

Qoute:
Had some good action further out today with no other boats around. Depths were between 70-135. Last years Anchovies did most of the damage with the Flamin' Hans . Intensifying Algae bloom no doubt cutting down light penetration screwing things up. Finished with a 12, 10, 15 over a 6.5 hour troll. Had one larger fish pop off at 50 feet as I was lowering the rigger which barked out line like a mature fish but it didn't stay hooked up for long. Crab traps stupid full---triple limits in 2 traps!!! Shouldn't have bothered with the 2nd trap! All in all, a good Sunday!

WOW!!! We fished from Cowan Point to Roger Curtis from 12:30 till 6:30 exact same gear including last years anchovies and we never had a hit a sniff nothing!!!!! Nice work.

did really well today, like FM said well well worth it. Seen a pod of killers working the Tunstall Bay area, All fish marbled

Hit it pretty hard from Roger curtis to Cowan from 10-3.One good hit at 130 ft. off Cowan.Shifted down to the bell bouy for the flood ,some good bait showing but no hits, about 5 boats working there one fish that we saw.Crab traps were jammed ,all except the one that my son left open???[?] to

quote:Originally posted by cammer

did really well today, like FM said well well worth it. Seen a pod of killers working the Tunstall Bay area, All fish marbled

All mine were whites. 1 had some marble near the tail. 1 hatchery clipped.

Fished this morning in the outer reaches of the harbour for a short stint hoping to capitalize on tide change to first push as the tide was a full ebb. No other boats in the vicinity. 2 harbour seals, one seemed to chasing something...trying to slap a fish? Sounder was working beautifully----marked 2 strong signals, only one good patch of bait. Out again in 2 days when the weather calms-- it's going to be a blow out here---going to make the most of this vacation! :D

All mine were whites. 1 had some marble near the tail. 1 hatchery clipped.

Fished this morning in the outer reaches of the harbour for a short stint hoping to capitalize on tide change to first push as the tide was a full ebb. No other boats in the vicinity. 2 harbour seals, one seemed to chasing something...trying to slap a fish? Sounder was working beautifully----marked 2 strong signals, only one good patch of bait. Out again in 2 days when the weather calms-- it's going to be a blow out here---going to make the most of this vacation! :D

wondering where these marbles are going?? last year mostly red at this time, yesterdays 4 fish all were marbles????? FM, are your crab trabs the commercial type, ours werent and our fish carcasses were eaten down to the bone.

wondering where these marbles are going?? last year mostly red at this time, yesterdays 4 fish all were marbles????? FM, are your crab trabs the commercial type, ours werent and our fish carcasses were eaten down to the bone.

Nope...cheapo blue box traps because of the theft issues. I use chicken backs/necks for bait. They last a big longer in the cages I use....but they were pretty much done with that volume of crabs. I felt like I was on the Northwestern or Time Bandit...they were FULL! Once you get that many in there, they tend to camp out anyways.

Nope...cheapo blue box traps because of the theft issues. I use chicken backs/necks for bait. They last a big longer in the cages I use....but they were pretty much done with that volume of crabs. I felt like I was on the Northwestern or Time Bandit...they were FULL! Once you get that many in there, they tend to camp out anyways.

Did well on sunday aswell , had a double to start off cowan , just as the orcas were rolling through, released a just under shortly after, and put one in the box and lost another off the hump later on. The spring I landed was a red. All action was between 100 and 60 with bait and hoochy . Today was much slower out there only one hit which didn 't stick around to say hello. We use the blue traps aswell , and the bait is always devoured . We use salmon scrap and bottom fish and its deadliest catch right now for sure.

For this fishery, GOD BLESS AMERICA!

none were clipped? whereas lots of our fish off Ucluelet are clipped and american for sure, im tending to believe these are upper fraser

Pretty sure the marbled are U.S. born Puget sound fish.
last year april /May 80% of the fish I caught were Marbled with quite a few clipped.

Back