Vancouver Saltchuk

Went for a ride yesterday to view the rings and cauldron, away from the crowds, from the water. Decided to put the lines down for an hour before the afternoon tide change at the QB Marker on the way back ... not much bait on the sounder and one fish released.

Circa boxing day 1975. I was invited to go out with Ted Peck. Left Eagle Harbour thinking we would travel somewhere. Just out in front he puts down anchor and we proceed to mooch cut plug herring. We caught salmon,teenagers in app 2 hrs. Amazing. He cooked lunch and had a great time. He was a good guy and lot of fun.
Just some trivia relating to the Vancouver area.

B Gibb

quote:Originally posted by Teja

Went for a ride yesterday to view the rings and cauldron, away from the crowds, from the water. Decided to put the lines down for an hour before the afternoon tide change at the QB Marker on the way back ... not much bait on the sounder and one fish released.

you must be good if you got to the tortch. the bIG BLACK BALOON BARACADE MUST OF MOOVED FOR YOU. lol

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

went out on Saturday and dropped the nets for some prawns and crabs. 192 prawns in 3 hours and 8 nice crap in 2 hours. We did not see too much bait and no fish for us. Although we did get a nice big octopus.

striper1.jpg

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

went out on Saturday and dropped the nets for some prawns and crabs. 192 prawns in 3 hours and 8 nice crap in 2 hours. We did not see too much bait and no fish for us. Although we did get a nice big octopus.

striper1.jpg

Hope you've got a head aboard that nice ride of yours. :D

Hope you've got a head aboard that nice ride of yours. :D
[/quote]

ya, 8 nice craps would certainly fill up a bucket!!!

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

Fished the harbour yesterday afternoon for a few hours while waiting for the crab pots to fill. Released a 20 inch spring, and had one other hit that didn't stick. Both hits at 130 feet.

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

Any new reports?

Heya...here's my report from Saturday if this helps. Bud was out Sunday, no luck. It's inconsistent and spotty.

Saturday February 27 2010

Well...got started out there today well after tide change and got a report from a buddy about a nice keeper having been bagged.

We bombed the crab traps in one of the usual spots. The wind was gusting out of the SE anywhere from 5 to 15 so it made for fun trolling...all in all not too cold tho...it's obvious that March is almost here.

Decided I'd fire down the spoons...again...the usual. We started off with a nice chunky undersize bullet which went back none the worse for wear. Then it got slow..... read that sssssssssssssslllllllllllllllloooow. Then at 1:30 we landed up a fish which wasn't legal by the slimest of margins...1/8" if you can believe it. Back it went to live another day. Then a half hour later bang! fish on! I rip it off the release, reel in and set hook....and eeeeeeeee...my vintage Hardy Longstone starts screaming it's one note song! Yes! I hand off the rod and after a few minutes she's getting close and my net handle is ready for the scoop...and then out of the corner of my eye.....POUND POUND POUND...off goes the shallow rod on the other rigger I put the net down step over and set the hook.....eee...fish ON!!! Woo Hoo! It's a double!!! I hand the rod off and go back to the other guy and see my long mooching rod corked right up and then.......pump pump....pop! out comes the hook and the flasher launches as us like a missile off a CF18 . Shiat!! Away went a nice keeper...in the 28 to 30 inch range. Oh well..back to the other fish and I slip the net under a nice 26" keeper. Yes! In the excitement we still had one rod fishing...and I've just slipped the fish into the cooler and dropped the rods back down when the original remaining rod goes off and it's another beefy 22" winter spring! Oooh yeah!

Anyways, we gave it a good shot for another hour and nothing so we picked up and went back to pick up Crab Dinner! Mmmm...

So..all in all..a productive days fishing...and I chalk it up to lucky....because if it weren't for that pocket of fish all we would have had was a miserable rainy windy day on the water.

A good way to end February..and we can only hope that March offers more consistent fishing.

Wow, Magician that sounds like some excitement I could get into. We are planning to fish the backside of bowen{Tunstall} tomorrow, heading out of vanier first light.What is the best tide for the back side?? Gotta start loggin this sheight. Supposed to be a beauty day, any insight anyone?? Will report our findings, its our first day wetting my bud's new boat but she's ready for a slayin session!! Cheers[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Jimbo

Wow, Magician that sounds like some excitement I could get into. We are planning to fish the backside of bowen{Tunstall} tomorrow, heading out of vanier first light.What is the best tide for the back side?? Gotta start loggin this sheight. Supposed to be a beauty day, any insight anyone?? Will report our findings, its our first day wetting my bud's new boat but she's ready for a slayin session!! Cheers[8D]

Well..fished 5 hours today..and it

SUCKED!

Ha ha wasn't it a beauty day though! We never had a sniff out there yesterday either. Fished tunstall, hut, waterfall and a little of the south end. We did have something take one line for a steady dive in plenty of water then snap went the line.Dunno what the heck it was. Obviously gotta go through the gear and tune things up as at one point I was dropping the lines when all of a sudden one rod stops releasing line only to find my knot holding onto the reel. Oh yeah, must be from the battle with a seal at the end of last season[:I]Anyhow we did mark some scattered bait with the biggest concentrations right at roger curtis.Sounds like a few picked up on the island size but nothing crazy.We did see a big mother sea lion in tunstall as well, what a huge mutha trucker it was!! Pretty rare around here. as fishing goes there could be a good bite today, lets see what happens.[?][?]

Ha ha wasn't it a beauty day though! We never had a sniff out there yesterday either. Fished tunstall, hut, waterfall and a little of the south end. We did have something take one line for a steady dive in plenty of water then snap went the line.Dunno what the heck it was. Obviously gotta go through the gear and tune things up as at one point I was dropping the lines when all of a sudden one rod stops releasing line only to find my knot holding onto the reel. Oh yeah, must be from the battle with a seal at the end of last season[:I]Anyhow we did mark some scattered bait with the biggest concentrations right at roger curtis.Sounds like a few picked up on the island size but nothing crazy.We did see a big mother sea lion in tunstall as well, what a huge mutha trucker it was!! Pretty rare around here. as fishing goes there could be a good bite today, lets see what happens.[?][?]

May have been a Hali.. or a big Ling---or dare I say it...a big spring---30 to god knows how big. I've seen quite a few unexpected BIG fish over the years starting about now...and they're not what you'd expect in March...but we're talking 30+++ lbs.....may have been one of those. There are some pretty large schools of herring out there now and often these "bottom feeders" as people like to think of them---will be well off the bottom feeding on them. I've had 50 lb Lings take at 60 feet in 200 feet of water and I've had big Halis hit at 30 feet in 250 feet of water. I've had some reel screamers over the years with seemingly no explanation--no seals in sight all day, etc etc....but usually you know if it is a spring or not.

We were out Saturday looking for prawns. Got our limit in 4 hours and released the same amount in small ones as well as egg bearers. I think we should all try and get those big females back a.s.a.p. :)

Yeah, Magician I guess I could pass this message on. Check all your friggen gear inluding lines, knots and hooks before you go out, even if only for a little while!!! you never know what might take your line for a swim and you wanna be ready for whatever it is!! Now my buddy and I are left with the question, what the heck was that?? It could have been a monster just swimming by because it was just a steady downward pull then snap!! 230 feet of water, fishing about mid depth? I'll be tuned in more next time out that's for sure.Cheers

Could have been Hali / hog but are you sure that wasn't a Seal (grabbing on to a undetected shaker or small bottom fish you were dragging? A typical steady strong dive sounds like a Seal....especialy if the line is coming off the reel slower than a salmon run but stronger, heavier than most big fish.

Went out with my family last Saturday, fished along the West Van shore for 3 hours or so. Not much action for us - a cod and a spring that was a little shy of legal size - both were sent back unharmed.

Gotta admit that I was tolling around pretty randomly. Have no idea where and how to fish Vancouver.

Great to be out there though.

www.cobbcanada.ca

I don't know much about fishing Vancouver, but when it comes to feeder salmon this time of year, you are really better to just cover ground untill you find them. Typically flat bottoms are where we usually get them mainly so I don't loose gear bottom bouncing, just keep on moving. They don't stack up at the points and rocks as much as the mature migrating fish do. And when you get one, do a big circle, I find they tend to school..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

Looks like a great day to get out tomorrow. Has anyone fished this week at all? Any reports?

Hi there Coho!

Last report I have for local Vancouver is 13th March off waterfall and Hutt - a boat picked up two legal( 9 and 13 lb )and a couple undersize . Earlier March 7th similar report from waterfall of two about 11-12 lbs . chovy no flasher was best but flasher/strip as well as flamin hans and A/T hootchie did the damage.
Remember however I am getting reports mainly of those getting fish and am less likely to hear of those that didn't or the slow days - there are of course very slow spotty days.

Back