Vancouver Saltchuk

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

quote:Originally posted by cohochinook

Looks like a great day to get out tomorrow. Has anyone fished this week at all? Any reports?

Hi there Coho!

Last report I have for local Vancouver is 13th March off waterfall and Hutt - a boat picked up two legal( 9 and 13 lb )and a couple undersize . Earlier March 7th similar report from waterfall of two about 11-12 lbs . chovy no flasher was best but flasher/strip as well as flamin hans and A/T hootchie did the damage.
Remember however I am getting reports mainly of those getting fish and am less likely to hear of those that didn't or the slow days - there are of course very slow spotty days.

Thanks I'll definitely post a report. Got a 18 pounder last March off the waterfall around this time of year. Hopefully history will repeat it's self!:D

Friday March 19: Caught 3, all throw backs. Midway between Point At. and pink appartments. Down 120 and 80 in 160 of water.

quote:Originally posted by playnow2

Friday March 19: Caught 3, all throw backs. Midway between Point At. and pink appartments. Down 120 and 80 in 160 of water.

Shakers and undersize don't count! Last keeper I heard of out of the Bay was early March---and there has been PLENTY of effort out there. Bleep!

Sorry about that FM. Choho asked for "any reports" so I threw one out. Thought mayby if small one's around maybe bigger one's also. Oh Well. Only post if you kill. New to this. Know better next time.

quote:Originally posted by playnow2

Sorry about that FM. Choho asked for "any reports" so I threw one out. Thought mayby if small one's around maybe bigger one's also. Oh Well. Only post if you kill. New to this. Know better next time.

I was just foolin' with ya Play2! :D

There's usually plenty of shakers and undersize around to keep a fisher busy clearing the lines of the lil' guys..but bigger fish have been relatively speaking--- uncommonly scarce the last month around Vancouver. The same goes for the undersize too....

At this point, this Vancouver board can use all the help it can get, me included! If anyone is having any consistent success in the Vancouver area, spill the beans! [8D]

We fished nears Gibsons in the morning. Got there for the end of the high. Saw one undersize caught by a guide boat. I had heard of a bit of a bite on Friday.

Moved to the Waterfall aroud 11 and had one good knock and finished in Bowen Bay where we released two undersize. One of which was clipped. All in all very slow. Did talk to one other boat in Bowen Bay that said they got two adults right on bottom.

Set two prawn traps out. Someone definitely lifted and cleaned them. I have 350 feet of rope plus they're weighted. We placed them in 300 feet of water and they were moved into 200. The way the traps were closed was different to the way I usually do it as well. Takes some of the fun out of the day, when some loser[xx(] does this to you.:(

. Set two prawn traps out. Someone definitely lifted and cleaned them. I have 350 feet of rope plus they're weighted. We placed them in 300 feet of water and they were moved into 200. The way the traps were closed was different to the way I usually do it as well. Takes some of the fun out of the day, when some loser[xx(] does this to you.:(

Sad that there's such losers on the water. You usually expect most of the clowns are out in the summer. I guess you're lucky they didn't take the traps and all. What low lifes.

We fished nears Gibsons in the morning. Got there for the end of the high. Saw one undersize caught by a guide boat. I had heard of a bit of a bite on Friday.

Moved to the Waterfall aroud 11 and had one good knock and finished in Bowen Bay where we released two undersize. One of which was clipped. All in all very slow. Did talk to one other boat in Bowen Bay that said they got two adults right on bottom.

Set two prawn traps out. Someone definitely lifted and cleaned them. I have 350 feet of rope plus they're weighted. We placed them in 300 feet of water and they were moved into 200. The way the traps were closed was different to the way I usually do it as well. Takes some of the fun out of the day, when some loser[xx(] does this to you.:(

Heya....I heard some very good reports from yesterday from the area you were fishing....there was a guide boat who had considerable actionw with larger fish. Report I got from the Bay, Pt. Grey and South End of Bowen was that it was barren.

Let's hope this is the start of something. If closer to home isn't where the fish are..I'm headed to that area you were yesterday CC.

I did hear of a pod of Killer Whales some where around Pt Grey/Fraser area on the radio. That probably slowed things down.

I did hear of a pod of Killer Whales some where around Pt Grey/Fraser area on the radio. That probably slowed things down.

That is the third time they have been around over the last 2 months. If whales are around, there must be something to eat!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

That is the third time they have been around over the last 2 months. If whales are around, there must be something to eat!!!!

Hopefully it was seals... [8D][8D]

Just for Nostalgia's sake...once upon a time, the Capilano Coho fishery was like this...and if you turned back the clocks 20 years before this video..it was enough to make you shake your head in amazement.

Love the sound of that outboard! LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYGAN95zQU

Just for Nostalgia's sake...once upon a time, the Capilano Coho fishery was like this...and if you turned back the clocks 20 years before this video..it was enough to make you shake your head in amazement.

Nostalgia...now you got me searching out "old" photos! Unfortunately the word "old" does come up......included here is a photo of a much younger Peahead ( to the left ) Not sure of year but I am going to guess 74'. It was late August. This outing was only about an hour an a half. We jigged buzz bombs with light spinning gear off the capilano (sewer bay) in August. We lost lots and released several. Limit was 4 per person. We fished from my first boat, a tiny rubber inflatable and only about 150 feet away from the ramp - the old native launching ramp under Lions gate bridge. Great memories and especially great memories with my brother ( on the right ) who is no longer with us.

IMG_3293resize.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Peahead

Nostalgia...now you got me searching out "old" photos! Unfortunately the word "old" does come up......included here is a photo of a much younger Peahead ( to the left ) Not sure of year but I am going to guess 74'. It was late August. This outing was only about an hour an a half. We jigged buzz bombs with light spinning gear off the capilano (sewer bay) in August. We lost lots and released several. Limit was 4 per person. We fished from my first boat, a tiny rubber inflatable and only about 150 feet away from the ramp - the old native launching ramp under Lions gate bridge. Great memories and especially great memories with my brother ( on the right ) who is no longer with us.

IMG_3293resize.jpg
Awesome photo and nice Gremlin in the background. I grew up on the Shore and caught my first sewer bay coho in 1980 casting from shore with rooster tail spinners. Good times!

As I am not familiar with this area, but I remember in summer of 1980, I have went across Lion Gate Bridge by looking at boat crowds including little rafts, canoes, kayaks, metalboats, speedboats, yachts, and sailboats jiggin' in front of Capilano River for coho salmon. I am pretty sure that cruiseships and freightships had hard time going through the maze of boats.

Thanks for the link to the video FM, nice pic too Peahead. Sure brings back the memories. The whole north shore was covered with jumpers like that during the summer in the old days. Glad someone had the camera out back then to document how it used to be.

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Finally!!! It sure took a while, but we are finally having some good winter Chinook fishing. The bait showed up, and it looks as if the Chinook followed.

Last Friday I decided the weather was too nice to work at my construction job, so I played hooky and "popped out" for a quick morning fish. I actually even kind of slept in a bit, so we didn't get out on the water until after 8:30. As we approached the fishing "spot du jour" (Grace Islands), I called a buddy who was out about a 1/2 hour before me, and he already had 3 in the boat (9, 13, 15 lbs). We arrived 5 minutes later, and put two nice fish into the boat within the first 15 minutes we were there. Definitely a nice way to start the day! We gave it another hour or so with nothing before moving to spot #2 (the waterfall), where we had two decent fish hit in our first two passes, but this time the luck was with the fish, and they got away. After one more pass we went in, as we didn't have all day to fish. Still 2 keepers and 2 lost in less than 3 hours of fishing time was pretty decent after what we had experienced for most of the past 3 months.

More importantly, this type of action has been consistently occurring most days for at least a week now. There is lots of bait in the lower portion of Howe Sound, and the Chinook have obviously located it. Last year we experienced great action off Grace Islands during March, and though it was a bit slow to get going, it looks to be happening again this year. Most of the popular fishing locations have experienced some excellent action over the past week, and I am optimistic that we will see it continue for a couple weeks anyway. I have been getting reports every day of guys putting two or three nice fish in the boat.......definitely nice to be hearing that again!!!

Of course we likely only have a week or two left of what we would call the "winter fishery" before the plankton blooms of spring occur, and we switch gears and move out off South Bowen. That fishery can often be our most active Chinook fishery of the year as large numbers of fish concentrate between Bowen Island and the mouth of the Fraser River from early April through mid-May. With all those mature Jacks we saw last fall I was thinking we were going to have an active winter and spring fishery for Chinook up to the 12 lb range, but I guess the immature ones must have migrated elsewhere for most of the winter. At least they are showing up now....just in time for the South Bowen fishery.

The winner of the second draw prize for a free 5 hour charter was Anthony and Lanka for the charter they did in mid-February. The third draw will occur at the end of April (there is still time to get entered into this draw!!!), and those of you who have done charters between November 1st and April 30th will all be eligible for this draw (with March charters getting two entries).

There are still not very many entries for the final draw at the end of April, so there are still excellent odds at winning the last draw for a free charter. In addition, those who have already won a trip during the first two draws are still eligible for the final draw.

If you are interested in doing a charter, I do still have some open days before the end of March. I am working both in Horseshoe Bay and on the Sunshine Coast, so I am pretty busy, but it is still fairly easy for me to take days off to do charters. Don't be afraid to call on short notice, as it is possible we could make it work. I am tied up for the next two or three days (March 23rd, 24th, and maybe the 25th) installing a large dock, but would be open on Friday March 26th. This upcoming weekend I am unavailable (except there is a slight possibility I may be open on Saturday the 27th). Next week I am available most days, and I am available during the Easter weekend.......which for some reason often coincides with the start of the South Bowen fishery

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter please e-mail or call me.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com
604-329-8642

boat-2.jpg

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Finally!!! It sure took a while, but we are finally having some good winter Chinook fishing. The bait showed up, and it looks as if the Chinook followed.

Last Friday I decided the weather was too nice to work at my construction job, so I played hooky and "popped out" for a quick morning fish. I actually even kind of slept in a bit, so we didn't get out on the water until after 8:30. As we approached the fishing "spot du jour" (Grace Islands), I called a buddy who was out about a 1/2 hour before me, and he already had 3 in the boat (9, 13, 15 lbs). We arrived 5 minutes later, and put two nice fish into the boat within the first 15 minutes we were there. Definitely a nice way to start the day! We gave it another hour or so with nothing before moving to spot #2 (the waterfall), where we had two decent fish hit in our first two passes, but this time the luck was with the fish, and they got away. After one more pass we went in, as we didn't have all day to fish. Still 2 keepers and 2 lost in less than 3 hours of fishing time was pretty decent after what we had experienced for most of the past 3 months.

More importantly, this type of action has been consistently occurring most days for at least a week now. There is lots of bait in the lower portion of Howe Sound, and the Chinook have obviously located it. Last year we experienced great action off Grace Islands during March, and though it was a bit slow to get going, it looks to be happening again this year. Most of the popular fishing locations have experienced some excellent action over the past week, and I am optimistic that we will see it continue for a couple weeks anyway. I have been getting reports every day of guys putting two or three nice fish in the boat.......definitely nice to be hearing that again!!!

Of course we likely only have a week or two left of what we would call the "winter fishery" before the plankton blooms of spring occur, and we switch gears and move out off South Bowen. That fishery can often be our most active Chinook fishery of the year as large numbers of fish concentrate between Bowen Island and the mouth of the Fraser River from early April through mid-May. With all those mature Jacks we saw last fall I was thinking we were going to have an active winter and spring fishery for Chinook up to the 12 lb range, but I guess the immature ones must have migrated elsewhere for most of the winter. At least they are showing up now....just in time for the South Bowen fishery.

The winner of the second draw prize for a free 5 hour charter was Anthony and Lanka for the charter they did in mid-February. The third draw will occur at the end of April (there is still time to get entered into this draw!!!), and those of you who have done charters between November 1st and April 30th will all be eligible for this draw (with March charters getting two entries).

There are still not very many entries for the final draw at the end of April, so there are still excellent odds at winning the last draw for a free charter. In addition, those who have already won a trip during the first two draws are still eligible for the final draw.

If you are interested in doing a charter, I do still have some open days before the end of March. I am working both in Horseshoe Bay and on the Sunshine Coast, so I am pretty busy, but it is still fairly easy for me to take days off to do charters. Don't be afraid to call on short notice, as it is possible we could make it work. I am tied up for the next two or three days (March 23rd, 24th, and maybe the 25th) installing a large dock, but would be open on Friday March 26th. This upcoming weekend I am unavailable (except there is a slight possibility I may be open on Saturday the 27th). Next week I am available most days, and I am available during the Easter weekend.......which for some reason often coincides with the start of the South Bowen fishery

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter please e-mail or call me.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
david.korsch@eastlink.ca
davek@dccnet.com
www.predatorcharters.com
604-329-8642

boat-2.jpg

Sounds like Howe Sound is the place to be right now. Talked to a couple of pro buddies fishing the areas mentioned in Dave's Report above and they're reporting some very good fishing---one reportedly hooked NINE, yes NINE good sized fish on one outing. [:p]

Backside Bowen, Tunstall to Hutt and Grace have been producing VERY WELL.:D

On the other hand, the report I heard from closer to home wasn't so good.

Hope the weather eases up for this coming weekend!

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

Thanks for the link to the video FM, nice pic too Peahead. Sure brings back the memories. The whole north shore was covered with jumpers like that during the summer in the old days. Glad someone had the camera out back then to document how it used to be.

Yep, the way it used to be!!!! Used to be an absolute hoot!!!

We can only wish we see fish jumping like that along West Van once again.

I remember going fishing with Dad in a 12 foot Cartopper with a 9.8hp Merc on the back. We hit up the BellBuoy and bagged a couple of high twenties in like no time flat!!!

Back