Vancouver Saltchuck?

quote:Originally posted by spring time

if you use cable ties it's illegall it must have a rot cord

No one is advocating eliminating the rot cord...

You must have a rot cord...but the ties are placed on the sides of the traps...you know..the ones that you open to get the crabs out. IF the ties are broken..then you know you were raided.

That way you know if someone has raided ...they won't have the ties on board..and if the intent was to steal your crabs....they won't be putting the ties back on!
;)

quote:Originally posted by spring time

if you use cable ties it's illegall it must have a rot cord
I'm refering to the square wire mesh type trap. These traps do have a rot cord. What I do is zip-tie the corners together once it is set up. You will find the trap is more rigid as well.

Looks like it may be worth the $$$ to drive across the Strait...

hmmmmmm...

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 18/2009.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

"SMOKIN'!!!" The Gulf Island fishery has really turned on in the past couple of weeks! Unlike the previous few years, the fish are not holding in on "structure", but rather, they are located "offshore" a mile or two out in deep water, and the number of fish has to be just massive. I have been getting reports of extremely hot fishing from Nanoose Bay all the way East to Thrasher Rock, and since the "band" of fish seems to be upwards of 5 miles wide, this "school" of Chinook must cover more than 100 square miles.

On Saturday morning (May16th) I was finally able to get over off Gabriola to experience the action myself, and we managed to boat 6 legal Chinook up into the middle/higher teens (and I really would have liked to see the size of one of the fish we lost.......). As good as our action was, there was one boat fishing a few miles to the East of us who managed to boat an incredible 14 legal fish that morning (well done Len)!!!! Most of the fish are in the 12 to 18 lb range, but I heard of a few that were significantly larger (up to the 30 lb range).

Sunday we were back over there but found the action quite a bit slower, though I think that was due to the fact that there were likely 80+ boats working from Thrasher Rk. to the middle of Gabriola. I never counted the total number at the peak, but in the early afternoon when we were thinking that everyone had gone in, I still counted 34 boats. Even in that big area, a long weekend crowd can affect the fishing it seems. Though I considered it to be "slow" we still kept 3 nice fish, I'll be most boats managed to put at least one in the boat, and a few did better than us....funny how I consider that slow fishing....it is amazing how your expectations change during certain fisheries.......

Since it is only the middle of May, I am very optimistic about what we should see over the next couple months as the Gulf Island fishery generally peaks between mid-May and mid-July. Of course, running over there to fish required a longer trip than the minimum 5 hour charter (I need it to be a minimum 7 hour charter), and more importantly we need relatively calm water. Luckily, at this time of year we usually find far more than 1/2 the days are calm enough to cross, and when it is too windy, we can usually see that coming a few days in advance.

For those wanting to specifically book trips over to the Gulf Islands, I have no problems postponing or cancelling a trip at the last minute if water conditions won't allow us to cross. My dock construction projects look as if they could continue for the next month or two, so a last minute cancellation just means I would switch gears and work at that on mid-week days.

Of course there are still some fish to be found locally, though the South Bowen fishery has slowed significantly (as is typical at this time of year) over the past week. We are beginning to see some larger fish entering Howe Sound on their way to the Squamish system, and we could potentially find some very good fishing within the next few weeks if these fish decide to hold in good numbers in some area (potentially Hole in the Wall, Grace Islands, Porteau Cove, and/or Defence Islands.

I am still available most week days (potentially even on short notice of a day or so), but I do not have any openings on weekends until the 13th/14th of June. As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

Looks like it may be worth the $$$ to drive across the Strait...

hmmmmmm...

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: May 18/2009.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

"SMOKIN'!!!" The Gulf Island fishery has really turned on in the past couple of weeks! Unlike the previous few years, the fish are not holding in on "structure", but rather, they are located "offshore" a mile or two out in deep water, and the number of fish has to be just massive. I have been getting reports of extremely hot fishing from Nanoose Bay all the way East to Thrasher Rock, and since the "band" of fish seems to be upwards of 5 miles wide, this "school" of Chinook must cover more than 100 square miles.

On Saturday morning (May16th) I was finally able to get over off Gabriola to experience the action myself, and we managed to boat 6 legal Chinook up into the middle/higher teens (and I really would have liked to see the size of one of the fish we lost.......). As good as our action was, there was one boat fishing a few miles to the East of us who managed to boat an incredible 14 legal fish that morning (well done Len)!!!! Most of the fish are in the 12 to 18 lb range, but I heard of a few that were significantly larger (up to the 30 lb range).

Sunday we were back over there but found the action quite a bit slower, though I think that was due to the fact that there were likely 80+ boats working from Thrasher Rk. to the middle of Gabriola. I never counted the total number at the peak, but in the early afternoon when we were thinking that everyone had gone in, I still counted 34 boats. Even in that big area, a long weekend crowd can affect the fishing it seems. Though I considered it to be "slow" we still kept 3 nice fish, I'll be most boats managed to put at least one in the boat, and a few did better than us....funny how I consider that slow fishing....it is amazing how your expectations change during certain fisheries.......

Since it is only the middle of May, I am very optimistic about what we should see over the next couple months as the Gulf Island fishery generally peaks between mid-May and mid-July. Of course, running over there to fish required a longer trip than the minimum 5 hour charter (I need it to be a minimum 7 hour charter), and more importantly we need relatively calm water. Luckily, at this time of year we usually find far more than 1/2 the days are calm enough to cross, and when it is too windy, we can usually see that coming a few days in advance.

For those wanting to specifically book trips over to the Gulf Islands, I have no problems postponing or cancelling a trip at the last minute if water conditions won't allow us to cross. My dock construction projects look as if they could continue for the next month or two, so a last minute cancellation just means I would switch gears and work at that on mid-week days.

Of course there are still some fish to be found locally, though the South Bowen fishery has slowed significantly (as is typical at this time of year) over the past week. We are beginning to see some larger fish entering Howe Sound on their way to the Squamish system, and we could potentially find some very good fishing within the next few weeks if these fish decide to hold in good numbers in some area (potentially Hole in the Wall, Grace Islands, Porteau Cove, and/or Defence Islands.

I am still available most week days (potentially even on short notice of a day or so), but I do not have any openings on weekends until the 13th/14th of June. As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines,
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Just in from fishing not too far from where I was last night. Also lost 2 cannon balls on some underwater obstruction in a position where none should exist... Cannonballs were estimated at more than 40 feet off the bottom.
It would be nice to have an idea where that is. I don't carry spare cannonballs.
Thanks in advance.

Just in from fishing not too far from where I was last night. Also lost 2 cannon balls on some underwater obstruction in a position where none should exist... Cannonballs were estimated at more than 40 feet off the bottom.
It would be nice to have an idea where that is. I don't carry spare cannonballs.
Thanks in advance.

I should listen to my vhf for local fisherman. What chanelle do folks use? I guess the charters use a private chanelle that I won't have?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

I should listen to my vhf for local fisherman. What chanelle do folks use? I guess the charters use a private chanelle that I won't have?

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I usually listen to channel 88.

quote:Originally posted by Red Monster

I usually listen to channel 88.

FYI everyone, the pics I posted were taken from Killfish.ca

Anyone interested in info on those pics should check out the forums over there, sounds like fishing is getting even better in the Nanaimo area.

went out yesterday to south end of Bowen and we used it to scout out our chance to boot to thrasher, we said "lets giver" and 9 miles later and 5 foot swells at 600am, we turned around and trolled back to Bowen area, six miles from excellent fishing?? anyways we slugged it out at Bowen(only boat) and were able to hook a 15# keeper and a 4 pound releaser, one other bite. Crabbing was a dissapointment with only 4 keepers to 2 traps??? Anyone get to Thraser last few days, also rough day out there

Bites On fished Bowen and Jericho areas, was dead. 2 boats no fish. The guides tried it all and did manage crabs for every one. Must get across and show island boys how to fish.;)

Has anyone had problems with crab trap theft,off point grey yet this year?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

enjoy those early fraser fish boys - won't be long before they put the clamp on that area too :(.

They're not early Fraser fish we're catching--we're fishing miles from the closures-- in waters that early Fraser fish don't frequent. We're catching Washington/Oregon fish and Squamish Run fish.

Vancouver is having a late winter spring fishery not seen in years with an exceptional quality/quantity of fish.

Vancouver anglers get on the boards, post about the great fishing and their success and suddenly the Vancouver Island fishers from ECVI and WCVI are calling foul and making it out like we're the scourge of the earth. At least that may be what your implication is Poppa Swiss? Perhaps?

That's funny, you don't sound quite so sure about the origin of those fish on another site ;)

DFO says these are Fraser Springs? Wondering where they got this info from? What tributaries are these fish returning to ?

Just wondering who and where you got the info from.

If these are Fraser Springs, we're in for a helluva fun time very shortly here in Vancouver---we'll have a couple of hundred boats fishing these if they are indeed Fraser fish.

Bites On was Bites On in the afternoon with HighFive playing 2 nice Springs at the Bell Bouy. Both crab traps had been raided !!!

It's blowing out there today. Fished the waterfall and grace this morning. Only one hit too show for my efforts. About 6 boats at Grace and only saw one undersize caught.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

enjoy those early fraser fish boys - won't be long before they put the clamp on that area too :(.

They're not early Fraser fish we're catching--we're fishing miles from the closures-- in waters that early Fraser fish don't frequent. We're catching Washington/Oregon fish and Squamish Run fish.

Vancouver is having a late winter spring fishery not seen in years with an exceptional quality/quantity of fish.

Vancouver anglers get on the boards, post about the great fishing and their success and suddenly the Vancouver Island fishers from ECVI and WCVI are calling foul and making it out like we're the scourge of the earth. At least that may be what your implication is Poppa Swiss? Perhaps?

That's funny, you don't sound quite so sure about the origin of those fish on another site ;)

DFO says these are Fraser Springs? Wondering where they got this info from? What tributaries are these fish returning to ?

Just wondering who and where you got the info from.

If these are Fraser Springs, we're in for a helluva fun time very shortly here in Vancouver---we'll have a couple of hundred boats fishing these if they are indeed Fraser fish.

They're not Fraser fish. I'm sure of that.

Anyways, we'll leave all the fish for you Island folk! ;)

Been a bit of a lull on this thread, and from all reports, throughout this area. Anyone catching? Hoping to get out in the next coupla days. You can't beat the weather!

Back