Vancouver Salt Chuck?

cohochinook

I am heading out tomorrow for a fish. Anyone get into any action on the weekend? Any reports would be much appreciated.

Some action @ the QA, one hit from a small Spring @ 60ft Green White Hootchie saw another one taken in the same spot.

Currents made it a ******* to fish because of large tides over Fraser outflow.

Hey all, new to the board and I like it![8D] I've been reading the salt forum for a couple of weeks now. Some interesting discussion and lots of knowledgeable salties. We've recently got ourselves a new boat and what I've picked up here has really shortened the learning curve. Thanks!:)

Took my bro and his better half out yesterday and fished Sand Heads area from the mouth/jetty towards T-10. Was a little lumpy but we survived, sis-in-law was a little green.:D Put the crab pots out, wondering if it's worth it anymore, the commercial boys have the legal sized picked over pretty good daily. Anyway we managed to get a couple of undersized springs to the boat and on their way again. Only saw one other sportie, he stayed close to the marker all day. Saw them pick up one undersized, didn't get to talk to him.

Should have some more action in a few weeks (he said hopefully) at least the pinks should give us some local success.

quote:Originally posted by Northof49

Hey all, new to the board and I like it![8D] I've been reading the salt forum for a couple of weeks now. Some interesting discussion and lots of knowledgeable salties. We've recently got ourselves a new boat and what I've picked up here has really shortened the learning curve. Thanks!:)

Took my bro and his better half out yesterday and fished Sand Heads area from the mouth/jetty towards T-10. Was a little lumpy but we survived, sis-in-law was a little green.:D Put the crab pots out, wondering if it's worth it anymore, the commercial boys have the legal sized picked over pretty good daily. Anyway we managed to get a couple of undersized springs to the boat and on their way again. Only saw one other sportie, he stayed close to the marker all day. Saw them pick up one undersized, didn't get to talk to him.

Should have some more action in a few weeks (he said hopefully) at least the pinks should give us some local success.

Have to change the tactics off the mouth of the Fraser. Guys are getting some decent sized springs off there. It's a well kept secret. Think River's Inlet type tactics....

Thanks F'n Magician:D

Now I have more homework to do. Rivers Inlet tactics????? Guess I know what I'm doing for a while.....

I was out Sunday at the north arm ,trolling north to south and all around. Fishing was fun I brought 4 to the boat..........all UNDER SIZE. Feeders will seem to take it all, Cop Car ,Anchovie, Purple haze Hootchie. I only saw a couple others out there and was sure one guy got a little one as well.Same for me with my crab trabs .FM I don't know your SUPER SECRET SPECIAL SALMON TACTIC, but would love some insight. The fish I got were all at 10 (Thats right) to 80' Trolling at any where from 1.5-3kn . Going out again Sat. 53lbder? I can only dream........

I think what "The Magician" means by "River's Inlet" type tactics is trolling REALLY SLOW between 30' - 50' with cut plug herring... stop and go... in and out of gear... let the bait occasionally sink by itself... "fluttering" from side to side as it's sinking... then put the engine into gear again and let the bait roll normally... then stop... etc... etc... Works great in the inlets and river mouths up north, but haven't tried it here. Great idea!

Big springs, following the bait for what can be long time, often pick it up very gently while its sinking... you can see tiny movements in the tip of the rod. That's when to get ready for the counter move (setting the hook) while the fish swims away slowly. Or... they will strike just as you put the engine into gear and start the roll again!

Try it and post a report here! Fun to see how it works!

Oppi

Thanks Oppi, from what I've been able to pick up about Rivers Inlet is seems that "power mooching" in the style you described is a preferred method. It seems that fishing shallow, 15-20 pulls, is a component of this method as well.

I'm wondering if an anchovy in a teaser would work or is it solely a "cut plug herring" method?

Remember there's no such thing as a dumb question, he reassured himself![:p]

Brisco,

No flasher! Just a dual barbless rig! Try this link if you're unsure:

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_htrh_pc1_index.html

The method I mentioned is sometimes called "Motor Mooching" and the disadvantage is that you will NOT cover as much Real Estate as you do with normal trolling (constant speed of 2-3 kn). Keep this in mind, because you will need relatively more "density" of fish in the water to find the buggers!

Oppi

I actually like motor mooching better on the down-rigger than using an in-line weight - espcially targeting Chinook! I know the "purists" in River's Inlet probably frown at that, but the fact is that you can go deeper faster (this will probably be important if you want to try it outside the mouth of the Fraser). You can also control depth more acurately, and you don't have to drag the weight around while playing the fish.

Now... if you're motor mooching for Coho up north it's a different story! They typically hang out at 15'-20' (a 6oz weight and 15-20 pulls will do it!). And... with a weight on the line... the "sinking" action (while stopped) is faster which the Coho seems to like!

I remember motor mooching in Milbanke Sound a few years back when we, while targeting Chinook, were FORCED to put our cut-plugs on downriggers because, with in-line weights, we couldn't get PAST the bloody Coho FAST enough to the depths where the big springs were! :D

Oppi

Just remember that if you do run chovies out at the mouth you need to keep moving or the puppies will swallow everything you drop in.
North what kind of ride are you in? any name? If i could figure how to post a pic i would

DSC00773.jpg

Good point about the puppies, my user name is the name of our boat.
"North of 49" , it's a Kiwi boat, welded hull (pontoons in the hull), fg forward cabin, offshore bracket. The pic is first day at home, more "stuff" on it now. Don't have any pics of it in the water yet.

Back