Vancouver Island snow

scott craven

We got hammered pretty good down south in Victoria.
My son is on the malahat and they got it worse.

Attachments

• D03F271C0C66_1671558208048.jpg
    D03F271C0C66_1671558208048.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 116
40 cms on the North Shore (wrong side of the Straits), and we live on the last street to get plowed. Its a circus out there haha.

Just finished digging out the drive way took a couple hours huge mounds of snow,

Interesting season so far. Not unusual for Pentixton to get an early November snowfall, but it will melt quickly. 50/50 probability of white Christmas. Local snow removal businesses budget for a total of 5 weeks of snowfall across the entire winter. This year the snow hit on Nov 3rd and hasn't left. Looked like mid winter on Dec 1. Now we have the most snow on the ground for Dec 20 since the winter of 1940/41.

On the plus side, the winery folks won't have their Christmas disrupted picking grapes for icewine, that is all wrapped up now.

We live on a remote little one lane street in North Van.

We have three different power feeds coming into our street (don't ask). So..... one house can have power, and the one next door will have no power.

Yesterday morning we woke up to our generator running, and the neighborhood in the dark. Our power had gone off just after 2 am.

This happens a few times a year and depending on what is going on, we often have a few "moms" drop off crock pots before they head off to work.

Now the crock pots make coming home torture when you walk into your house and have the blended aroma of 3 or 4 crockpots bubbling away.

I have been off with double pneumonia for a week and the nice neighbor across the street shoveled our walk.

He went home with a pot of hot coffee. They are doing a full reno and didn't have power or a kitchen yesterday

My wife is a coffee drinker and we get our beans from here

https://originscoffee.com/

Then a neighbors showed up with his coffee grinder and his own beans, he just needed power to grind.

Power was off for most of the neighborhood for a little over 7 hours , but one cluster of 3 houses, power was out for 16 hours. Our one neighbor who suffered through the long blackout is 82 and lives alone, My wife gave her an ultimatum that she was coming over to sleep at our house if the power didn't come on by 9:00. That was a hard negotiation. Her power came on at just after 8.

Now this neighbor last year was demoted from leading the under 65 year old hiking group 5 days a week and moved to lead the under 70 club.

Then the doorbell rings and I have to lend a jump kit to the girls down the street so they can get their car started ,

We are very lucky to have moved onto this little street, everyone knows everyone, the street has an annual summer party

Our hot tub always looks like a vat of hot chocolate after the kids are done hopping in and out of it for a few hours (but they leave with clean feet )

My wife and I are now the Bronze Medalists in the old people category.

All of the neighborhood girls have been taught about motorcycles by my wife.

Rule 1

Don't get on a Motorcycle with a boy

Rule 2

Girls should have their own motorcycles

My wife has ridden her bike to Inuvik and Prudhoe Bay and has made half a dozen cross continent solo rides.

Pre pandemic we would have RTW rider pals show up at the house a few times a year. Always fun to come home and see a Germán, UK, or Tanzanian plated bike in front of the garage.

Our pal from Tanzania has completed two laps around the planet, solo, and she camps most of the time.

She is well into her 60's and is funny as sh*t. She always comes for "just one night" and stays for 2 weeks.

Living in Kits was never like this.

1671650784184.png

Last edited:
If you have a generac make sure that the exhaust does not ice over, I’ve heard of that happening
Thanks, I went out and checked it a few times. It is in a very sheltered spot, away from any home air inlets, etc. and well protected from the weather .

There was maybe 1 cm of snow around it, and once it had run for a while all the snow was gone.

I have one, it hasn’t happened to me but when I was looking up some stuff people said it had happened to them.

Made for one hell of an interesting drive from Kelowna to Port Alberni.
The two whitetails in the back & 4x4 every inch kept the greasy side down though.

Happy to be home!~

White Christmas Indeed!

Cheers,
Nog

My buddy is on the round trip program from North Van to Kelowna and back today to bring his kid home from university. Said I'd meet him at the bar tonight by 10 pm....7 hours up, 15 mins to throw her junk in the taco and they're on the way. The lure of free single malt is strong this time of year for a fella.

My buddy is on the round trip program from North Van to Kelowna and back today to bring his kid home from university. Said I'd meet him at the bar tonight by 10 pm....7 hours up, 15 mins to throw her junk in the taco and they're on the way. The lure of free single malt is strong this time of year for a fella.
Coq was shut down. Hope they made it thru.

Just barely, -33 on the connector he said he started to get concerned when he saw the snowplow run off the road. 15 hours total road time...he missed the single malt but cracked one at 1 am when he walked through their door finally.

Im just glad i wasn't trying to fly anywhere out of yvr, the stories from people stuck on those planes for up to 12 hours and in the airport for days is insane.

Back