Vancouver Island snow

Supposed to snow pretty hard all night then turn to freezing rain and then rain through tomorrow.
Tomorrow is not going to be fluffy!

Well we got it. It blew like hell, drifting snow and then freezing rain......................................... fun times.

Heads up for people with metal roofs to watch for avalanches. The ones at my mom's place over the doorways would probably kill her with the current snowfall. Wasn't a problem when the roof was asphalt shingle but became deadly serious
with metal. I was wondering what pitch snow guards are recommended for with a metal roof and came up with this.

Roof snow guards

" The physics of mountainside avalanches are not directly applicable to roofs with a lower coefficient of friction like synthetic slate and shake, metal, natural slate and single ply low slope materials like PVC, TPO and EPDM membranes. On these roofs, snow can slide at pitches of less than 1/12. For these roof types, snow guards must be considered on all slopes that shed snow onto walkways, driveways or decks. On higher pitch roofs of these materials, snow guards may need to be applied in a layout that covers the entire roof area to stabilize the snow pack. "

Heads up for people with metal roofs to watch for avalanches. The ones at my mom's place over the doorways would probably kill her with the current snowfall. Wasn't a problem when the roof was asphalt shingle but became deadly serious
with metal. I was wondering what pitch snow guards are recommended for with a metal roof and came up with this.

Roof snow guards

" The physics of mountainside avalanches are not directly applicable to roofs with a lower coefficient of friction like synthetic slate and shake, metal, natural slate and single ply low slope materials like PVC, TPO and EPDM membranes. On these roofs, snow can slide at pitches of less than 1/12. For these roof types, snow guards must be considered on all slopes that shed snow onto walkways, driveways or decks. On higher pitch roofs of these materials, snow guards may need to be applied in a layout that covers the entire roof area to stabilize the snow pack. "
I did some work on the roof of my house in the fall. My roof was 75% metal roof panels and one section that was still shingle. I replaced the last section with metal roof panels. Its a fairly standard A frame pitch, can't quite remember the slope. The first snowfall we had this year was about a foot. I had never had the snow slide off the other parts of the metal roof so didnt think it would be an issue, boy was i wrong! I guess the fact they were new panels and no dirt or grit buildup like the older roof panels was why the snow never slid off the other sections. I couldn't believe how loud it was when huge sections of snow probably weighing hundreds of pounds slid down and landed on my deck, shook the house actually. It also did some damage to the new gutters i put up too. No doubt if you were under there when that came down it could be deadly for sure. I bought an extendable snow roof rake for this latest snowfall and its been the best tool ever for pulling snow down from sections of my roof. I'll be putting in those snow guards at some point too.

Looks like it‘s thaw time in Victoria today. High of 8-9 degrees. It’s raining pretty hard now. Hopefully it slows down as high temps and heavy rain will cause the melt to happen too fast and flooding in basements will be happening everywhere

Looks like it‘s thaw time in Victoria today. High of 8-9 degrees. It’s raining pretty hard now. Hopefully it slows down as high temps and heavy rain will cause the melt to happen too fast and flooding in basements will be happening everywhere
My gutters were frozen solid, 4" of ice
we had a minor flood before I could get the blow dryer
on the down pipe to thaw it out.
Facking snow belongs on the mountains !

My sunken patio, which my ground level floor is even with, was a 2" swimming pool this morning. Had to tiger torch out the two 12" drains.

I did some work on the roof of my house in the fall. My roof was 75% metal roof panels and one section that was still shingle. I replaced the last section with metal roof panels. Its a fairly standard A frame pitch, can't quite remember the slope. The first snowfall we had this year was about a foot. I had never had the snow slide off the other parts of the metal roof so didnt think it would be an issue, boy was i wrong! I guess the fact they were new panels and no dirt or grit buildup like the older roof panels was why the snow never slid off the other sections. I couldn't believe how loud it was when huge sections of snow probably weighing hundreds of pounds slid down and landed on my deck, shook the house actually. It also did some damage to the new gutters i put up too. No doubt if you were under there when that came down it could be deadly for sure. I bought an extendable snow roof rake for this latest snowfall and its been the best tool ever for pulling snow down from sections of my roof. I'll be putting in those snow guards at some point too.
If you don't have snow guards on your metal roof, you will never be able to keep gutters on your roof. I have given up trying to keep gutters on my barns.

9kQnVbJ.jpg

After the insane winter last year I had to install roof heating cables In my gutters and downspouts. The ice dams that built up were crazy, filling the gutters and reaching about 8” above and wrapping around the end of the roof panels. I was shocked my gutters didn’t get torn off from the weight. Pretty crazy to think living on Vancouver island this is what’s become almost “common” now in the winter.

Back