Vancouver area fishing?

Got a nice 18# red a little bit west of the bell buoy. 85' green flasher, green herring teaser head. Saw 2 others boated right around us 20 minutes before we got ours. Couple hours fishing, just the way I like it. Was a lot lumpier than what the forecast was calling for.

Fished right uintil dark @ the QA tonight-3 Shakers is all, saw no other fish taken.

Off tomorrow @ 06:00 hrs for the AM bite.

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

So we tried T10 in the morning. Few shakers and some doggies.
Moved out to deeper water and trolled toward QA, not quite halfway there got an 18ish (must buy a decent scale !) marble spring on a green shattered glass flasher and purpley UV teaser head. One more really good hit on a return pass and that was it.

Couldn't believe how many 10" or so (does that even qualify as a shaker?[?]) were attacking our anchovies. Guess I'd had those 'chovies in the freezer too long, must get some larger ones.

Well I guess I got lucky, we started fishing at the point grey bell bouy around 7 am monday morning landed 2 nice springs about 17 - 18 lbs, they looked like twins!!! trolled out to the QA was getting rough went back to the bell bouy and hit another around 20 lbs, lost 2 more , headed in at 11am, cleaned em, smoked 1 and eatin some on the barby for dinner tonite, what a great day, oh ya i was using a green Apex on 1 side,and herring strip on the other ,, the strip seems to be the one as we had 3 hits on the strip, well I will try again on Sunday as long as the winds are low , I am fishing from a 12 foot aluminum, have a great day and good luck to all !!!

I have an 11 foot zodiac with 9.9 hp motor. It's set up with a downrigger for saltwater fishing, but I haven't used it out around the bell buoy yet as the only problem with the boat is that it is very light and tends to be a bit of a handful to control when it is windy. On a calmer day, it would probably be ok for that area though and I was thinking about giving it a try this weekend (weather dependant). What I am wondering is, is there someplace other than Vanier park to launch such a boat that would be a shorter run to the fishing grounds out there? Thanks, Paul

quote:Originally posted by chromechaser

.....is there someplace other than Vanier park to launch such a boat that would be a shorter run to the fishing grounds out there? Thanks, Paul
If it's on a trailer-No.

imgp0742mj2.th.jpg

If you can pick it up you may be able to launch a 12'Zodiac at the Jerico sailing club.If you launch at Spanish Banks at the UBC end, you would be right at the Bell buoy.
Watch the tides, low tide would make it a long way to carry.
Never tried it but have seen guys launching small boats.

Check it out
Kipper

It's not on a trailer. Carrying the boat is no big deal. Maybe I'll take a drive out to Spanish Banks and see what it looks like. There is some pretty shallow water along there through isn't there? would I have to worry about the leg/prop of the motor when heading out?

Out Jericho way, its there are a couple parking lots that make it a 50 yard carry to the water at high tide. You REALLY have to watch the tide though, it can be 200+ yards at low.

Also, I believe you can not run out/in on the engine for 100 feet, or 300feet, or something like that. You are not allowed to use the engine within some distance from a public beach.

Fishin' anywhere anytime for anything

Got one last night, pink appartments 10lb red and two shakers on anchovy.Some fish around.

I was out Sunday afternoon. Pretty rough and just doggies for me. Did see a couple of small Salmon caught at the mouth of the Cap.

Got out yesterday, picked up a 15 and an 18 off ambleside yesterday counted fifteen boats, not that much action. Both springs were whites.Probably going to hit sandheads tommorrow am. Any reports there guys?

I'm not sure where to go tommorrow. I checked the Albion test net site and they haven't netted many springs in the last few days. For example, when things were hot back in August they were netting 50 to 60 fish on a set. In the last few days they have only netted 6 to 10 . Cap might be the place to be. Mind you I'll go where ever Flytyer is. [8D]

21 foot Seaswirl with black canvas top. I should be leaving McDonald beach at 6 ish. By the way, if anyone ever gets to the gate and seems locked, it isn't, don't tell the teenagers but the chain is wrapped around only. I'll be watching for you guys, wish you the best of luck!

Back