vacuum sealers?

I have used a few different food savers but I finally found the foodsaver pro 3. I don't think they make them anymore but they did cost $300. I bought both of mine for $150 each refurbished from warehouseoutlet.ca. Both came in a new box! The advantage to this sealer is it has a temp adjustment for the sealer which is very helpful if there is liquid in the equation you just turn up the heat on the sealer. They are automated as well so no holding buttons. I use 2 side by side when I am sealing.
I DO NOT use food saver bags. Way to expensive!!!! I also do not use bags off a role that have to be cut and sealed on both ends. I buy pre-cut bags from DNR sausage supply in calgary that are made in italy I believe. They are less than half the cost of foodsaver bags on the role even and are available in different sizes. I have very few vacuum failures. For fresh products like fish and hali I par freeze before I vacuum seal it. When there is liquid in the process there will be air left in the bag which will cause freezer burn eventually. If the product is frosty they you will get a 100% vacuum. My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a similar experience except that I purchased a Weston 2300 from the Quality Matters retail store in Oregon last summer. No shortage of sucking power and, unlike the Foodsavers, it doesn't shut down repeatedly in the middle of large batches fo sealing. To date, it has been great for all of the seafood we have used it for. We looked at the Ary VP215 at the same time ... if we had intended to use the vacuum sealer for soups or sauces we may have spent the additional $$$ for it instead.
I also bought a Weston 2300 from Quality Matters. A huge advantage of the Weston is that all the parts are replaceable and available so rather than throwing out food saver after food saver, I anticipate being able to keep my Weston running for years to come. While the Weston does a great job with vacuum, I found the auto seal feature cut off the vacuum a bit earlier than I'd like. I modified mine by disconnecting the vacuum line from the sensor and sealing off that portion of the line. Now I just manually seal when I want. That works much better for me. Like Birdnest, I also pre-freeze fish when possible as it eliminates problems due to liquid at the seal. However, since I live in WA and can process my fish at the dock, I usually don't have the option to pre-freeze. I also buy my bags pre-made and I get them from Quality Matters. Better bags than the food saver type and cheaper by 2-3x.

http://www.bcuplastics.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=9554&idcategory=859

Thanks for the link civ. The link above are the my prefered size of pre cut bag 6x10" but that company is in the states so it is hard for me to get them at a good price. To bad tho that is a smokin' deal. Maybe one of you fellas can bring me up an order in the summer. lol

This is the page where I get mine. I have family that brings them up from AB for me and they work great in the food saver for 1/4 the cost of pre-cut food saver bags. http://www.dnrsausagesupplies.ca/product_info.php/vacuum-bags-vacuum-machines-p-106

There are no great deals on channel bag unless you get into a chamber sealer.

Very good explanation on the difference between chamber sealers and suction type sealers (i.e food saver).

[VDPlGha3hAw] http://youtu.be/VDPlGha3hAw

Work out what you are paying for rolls compared to pre-made bags that are twice as thick to boot from various sources. I have sealed chowders, soups, and other liquids with zero seal fails. I am just saying in all honesty to look at what you have been doing over the years. Look at how long you will be doing it in the future. I am not sponsored by anyone etc.

Join BD Outdoors and you get a further discount from Quality Matters that some folks have already posted about. I went with Kodiak Health and wish I went the Quality Matters route through BD Outdoors.

I buy my bags through a local outfit in Parksville. 8" x 10" bags work out to 9 cents each per 1000. I am about to buy some smaller versions for crab, prawns, and single fillets of rock fish or what have you. If you are a serious fisherman and eat a lot of fish, tired of leaky seals, popped bags, and want to be able to store chowders or other liquified products go with the chamber sealer. The only down fall with an affordable chamber sealer is not being able to bag whole salmon fillets. Not a big deal IMO. That is the only down side. Invest in quality and the future. I went through 3 food savers before I saw the light so to speak. I would highly recommend Quality Matters and the discount you get through the black and red site.

My machine is the exact same one in the video. I use it all the time not just for fish. I buy bulk packs of a lot of different foods and break them up into smaller portions etc. and chamber pack them accordingly. Best kitchen product I have ever bought. I am looking forward to the day when this forum is still around and my grandkid's (if I'm lucky enough to have some) post reports about the same machine.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Level 1: Guys who have some stuff have a vacuum sealer.
Level 2: Guys who have pretty much everything have chamber sealers.
Level 3: Guys that have boats wider than 10 feet have it all including commercial chamber sealers that do 6 bags at a time. I know this, I have met such a person.
I'd like to meet a level 3 gal. Mam, if your out there please send me pictures of your boat and vacuum sealer. I'll get back to u asap. lol

It's not about how much you make. It's about how much are you going to spend in the long run and the quality of the product that you spent thousands of dollars a year to obtain lol. . I am just trying to point that out. Thanks and out.

Cheers,
John

Well your right john. It is something I should and wish I did long ago but now it is like spending thousands to save hundreds. I'm stuck in my food saver rut. Dang!

Very good explanation on the difference between chamber sealers and suction type sealers (i.e food saver).
Work out what you are paying for rolls compared to pre-made bags that are twice as thick to boot from various sources. I have sealed chowders, soups, and other liquids with zero seal fails. I am just saying in all honesty to look at what you have been doing over the years. Look at how long you will be doing it in the future. I am not sponsored by anyone etc.

Join BD Outdoors and you get a further discount from Quality Matters that some folks have already posted about. I went with Kodiak Health and wish I went the Quality Matters route through BD Outdoors.

I buy my bags through a local outfit in Parksville. 8" x 10" bags work out to 9 cents each per 1000. I am about to buy some smaller versions for crab, prawns, and single fillets of rock fish or what have you. If you are a serious fisherman and eat a lot of fish, tired of leaky seals, popped bags, and want to be able to store chowders or other liquified products go with the chamber sealer. The only down fall with an affordable chamber sealer is not being able to bag whole salmon fillets. Not a big deal IMO. That is the only down side. Invest in quality and the future. I went through 3 food savers before I saw the light so to speak. I would highly recommend Quality Matters and the discount you get through the black and red site.

My machine is the exact same one in the video. I use it all the time not just for fish. I buy bulk packs of a lot of different foods and break them up into smaller portions etc. and chamber pack them accordingly. Best kitchen product I have ever bought. I am looking forward to the day when this forum is still around and my grandkid's (if I'm lucky enough to have some) post reports about the same machine.

Cheers,
Sculpin
My machine is the exact same one in the video, plus have a Foodsaver. I got mine through Quality Matters; on sale and used the BD Outdoors discount on top of the sale price. I highly recommend both the machine and Quality Matters!

if you have a friend in the states this place is awesome.I had the vp540 sent to seattle (free shipping) and a few thousand bags. wicked machine. This was after I burnt out 4 high end food savers. they really cant compare. Even if you go halfers with a friend its a great deal.

Also bags are dirt cheap.

http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/VacMaster.html

Sculpin what is name of the company in parksville that has the bags?

Enterprise paper and packaging.

I believe the VP215 is 899.00 through Quality Matters with a 25 dollar discount if you join BD Outdoors (free). This is the best price I have seen on these units. There are lot's of great threads about the machines on the black and red site and the ifish forum if you want to research them. I wish I went this route as I paid more through Kodiak Health.

I too have been looking and right now you can get free shipping with the promo code PRODEAL maybe better than the $25 off .They sell all the bags and have a very good selection of sizes and they are on special as well 500 bags for about $25-35 I think the biggest bag you can do is 10 x 13 but will have to check that out So 1 big order of bags now If you order even just the bags from there and order 2 boxes I believe the shipping is free 5 cents a bag compared to 50 to 60 cents Also will save so time as I won't be making the bags as I'm processing the fish I too am on my 4 th sealer But only have to use it for my filets now

Anyone thinking about buying? I am wondering if we contacted them wanting to buy a certain number of machines would there be a even better price.

I am so close pulling the pin on one. Just not sure sure where to put a 80 pound sealer.

I love the canning option.

Anyone thinking about buying? I am wondering if we contacted them wanting to buy a certain number of machines would there be a even better price.

I am so close pulling the pin on one. Just not sure sure where to put a 80 pound sealer.

I love the canning option.

I would be interested for sure.

I talked to Racheal at Quality Matters I was going to order one No discount for larger orders Shipping to Victoria $300 to $400 with the bags I wanted. Free Shipping to Port Angeles? She suggested ship to The UPS store ?and then pick up If I had a few guys to help with the Ferry I might go that route post or PM me I think the ferry was abut $70 Also anybody know where we could ship to in Port Angeles
Racheal Said 1000 lot bags about $50 and said not to tell your neighbours as they will show up with dead animals and want them packed for free LOL
We could work bags into the shipment somehow if any one is interested

Or you get them delivered to Ship Happens in Sumas and walk over the border and pick them up.

Plus I have a great way to get to the mainland and back for cheap.

They would all have to be purchased in one persons name to make customs easier.

I talked to Racheal at Quality Matters I was going to order one No discount for larger orders Shipping to Victoria $300 to $400 with the bags I wanted. Free Shipping to Port Angeles? She suggested ship to The UPS store ?and then pick up If I had a few guys to help with the Ferry I might go that route post or PM me I think the ferry was abut $70 Also anybody know where we could ship to in Port Angeles
Racheal Said 1000 lot bags about $50 and said not to tell your neighbours as they will show up with dead animals and want them packed for free LOL
We could work bags into the shipment somehow if any one is interested

All sounds good. I have heard they are great people to deal with. PM FA about logistics for sure. What thickness and size are those bags for $50?

I wanted to ask about the bags they have seems maybe thin, this is what they sent me.

The " VacMaster 6 x 10 Chamber Vacuum Sealer Pouches/Bags 3 MIL - 1000 Count" is still $39.99

the quote for shipping is a bit crazy $555. got to be a better way, its heavy though only a walk on with a dolly.

We should start a new Chamber Sealer thread..... This is way off topic plus more people might be interested in buying a unit or bags.... What do you think?

Back