vacuum sealed salmon

the butcher

I am curious how long vacuum sealed salmon filets are good for in the freezer. Is there a point in time where the meat goes bad or looses it's taste from being in the freezer for too long in vacuum sealed bags?

I don't keep mine more than a year sealed in a good VacMaster Sealer with the seal unbroken.
Great after 6 months or so.
Can't tell you what happens after a year? I say use it for crab bait after a year.

read somewhere when thawing out vacuum sealed fish, you need to break the seal. If you thaw without breaking vacuum seal anerobic bacteria can grow in the absence of oxygen and potentially be very dangerous. I used to not nreak seal and thaw in running cold water. didnt break seal bc I didnt want to water log the fish.

is the not breaking the info and reasons behind it accurate?

I am curious how long vacuum sealed salmon filets are good for in the freezer. Is there a point in time where the meat goes bad or looses it's taste from being in the freezer for too long in vacuum sealed bags?
I just had my last pieces of salmon that were buried in the freezer, sealed with a food saver and 4 mil bags. They were fro early August.They were still pretty darned good, but not as good as when two or three months old, but certainly not crab bait! Some of the fat will oxidize a little, but vacuum sealing is a great way to go. I sometimes shave parts with a sharp knife before cooking. Saving my pennies for a nice chamber sealer but I’ve certainly got my money’s worth on the food saver with several years of fish, venison and Costco meat. I have also had some commercially vac sealed sockeye fillets vac over 1.5 years that were good.

We consume our fish within 6 or 8 months. I identify each fish by species, where it was caught and date it was caught on the bag. I never break the seal before thawing. I just take it from the freezer and let it sit on a plate for the day to thaw. We give a lot of fish away. During the season I inspect the freezer monthly and give fish away accordingly. For one if the freezer is too full my wife gets mad when I go fishing. Second it's nice to share, and 3rd I dont use our resource for crab bait. I save the offal for that.

There's nothing like fresh(unfrozen)salmon for table fare.
any frozen salmon goes into the smoker
but even that's not as good as fresh.
(JMHO)

If you trim the bones with scissors before vac-sealing, you minimize “leakers”

And yes, you can smoke the heel of your boot and make it taste good. You can also trim dehydrated salmon from a fillet, throw it on a barbie with 50/50 olive oil and balsamic vinegar and like the heel of your boot, still make it taste good.

Back