Pacific Oyster Limits

Yup...don't eat too many all at once. Very bad. You will get cadnium poisoning - that is the basis of the 12 limit...Health Canada recommendation. Damn DFO trying to keep us safe. Lol

What are the effects of cadmium poisoning?
Inhaling cadmium-laden dust quickly leads to respiratory tract and kidney problems which can be fatal (often from kidney failure). Ingestion of any significant amount of cadmium causes immediate poisoning and damage to the liver and the kidneys. Compounds containing cadmium are also carcinogenic.

Yup...don't eat too many all at once. Very bad. You will get cadnium poisoning - that is the basis of the 12 limit...Health Canada recommendation. Damn DFO trying to keep us safe. Lol

What are the effects of cadmium poisoning?
Inhaling cadmium-laden dust quickly leads to respiratory tract and kidney problems which can be fatal (often from kidney failure). Ingestion of any significant amount of cadmium causes immediate poisoning and damage to the liver and the kidneys. Compounds containing cadmium are also carcinogenic.
Where does the cadmium come from? Is this a 'Biotoxin Closure'?
Because I know that DFO does a lot of coast or area-wide closures without necessarily testing. So I wonder how prevalent this cadmium exposure is.

Where does the cadmium come from? Is this a 'Biotoxin Closure'?
Because I know that DFO does a lot of coast or area-wide closures without necessarily testing. So I wonder how prevalent this cadmium exposure is.
Never mind... found a wealth of information here:
http://www.sfu.ca/content/dam/sfu/c.../Cadmium/Cadmium_in_Shellfish_Proceedings.pdf

"Potential sources identified were “natural” (upwelling and local mineralogy) and “anthropogenic” (e.g., mine drainage, incinerators, metal
smelters, phosphate fertilizers, sewage treatment plants and pulp mills). Dissolved cadmium is naturally high in the North Pacific as a consequence of “ocean conveyor belt” which results in cadmium enrichment in older intermediate waters of the North Pacific Ocean and oceanic upwelling."

Back