Using a Yamaha F90 CDI on a 100HP

FisherTim

Can I do this? Both Engines are carburated, and almost Identical, would there be a drawback to doing this?
I can get one off of a 90hp for half the cost of buying one new.

Do some research about that series of engines: do the 90 and 100 share the same powerhead and ignition system? Usually there are only some minor carb orifice differences between engines in the same 'family'; ie, same powerhead.

If it's the same part number I'd do it, otherwise even if wire colours and plugs matched up you'd have no idea how it was programmed. If you have two units in hand even if they don't match call a dealer with the part numbers to make sure one doesn't supercede the other.

You can check this easily. Go to www.boats.net, then click Yamaha, Yamaha Outboard Parts, and find the year and model of your Yamaha 100. Then check out "electrical" to find your CDI. Identify the item number on the diagram, and then find that number in the Description list. Click on the item part number, and you should then see a Yamaha Parts Logo With that part number - and a price....ouch! But - the REALLY important information is listed just below, where it says "This Yamaha (part number) ENGINE CONTROL UNIT ASSY is used on these models and components:", and there'll be a list of other models it can be used on.

If your 100 CDI is listed as being used on the 90 - good. Now go back and check that the CDI off that specific 90 parts motor you are hoping to use is also listed as being used on the 100. If yes - you have your answer.

ALL of the Yamaha parts in Boats.net have a "can be used on..." list. Those lists saved me a ton of $$$$, because that "used on ..." list opens up a much wider range of potential parts motors and years to get parts from.

Good luck!

Here's the Deal: I looked on Boats.net. The Original Part in my Yamaha was a 67F-85540-01-00, When I contacted Yamaha, they said that this part was superceded by 67F-85540-03-00, and the part I can get used is a 67F-85540-02-00. This one is used on the 2003-2004 Yamaha F90 and F100. So I don't think wiring or programming would be an issue, and it should be backwards compatible, right?

Update: All those motors use the same wiring harness. So it should all work, or am I missing something here?

I've only ever used parts from donor motors that matched exactly to what was indicated on those "Can be used on..." lists. Those ALWAYS worked. It's not my money, and I have no knowledge of whether or not other swaps will or won't work. At this point, it would be totally your choice to try the donor part or not. I do note that the original part is still apparently available from Boats.net.... Good luck!

Here's the Deal: I looked on Boats.net. The Original Part in my Yamaha was a 67F-85540-01-00, When I contacted Yamaha, they said that this part was superceded by 67F-85540-03-00, and the part I can get used is a 67F-85540-02-00. This one is used on the 2003-2004 Yamaha F90 and F100. So I don't think wiring or programming would be an issue, and it should be backwards compatible, right?

Update: All those motors use the same wiring harness. So it should all work, or am I missing something here?

Do the -02 and -03 #s interchange at Yamaha? What year is your motor? Harness could be identical but timing could be off. Call and ask if the -02 changes up to -03.

Back