Used Outboards Saanich

Brian Reiber

Hi folks,
I probably shouldn't be posting this in a public forum but here goes. We are having trouble fining a replacement outboard and I see that Mario in Saanich does have at least 1. I have read on here and heard first hand from his customers nothing but horror stories. Doses anyone on here care to share some experience good and bad? If you don't feel comfortable posting here please pm me.

Thanks,
Brian

Confused.... if you’ve heard nothing but horror stories from all his customers, why even bother considering doing business with him ??

Is he living in North Saanich? Mario is a mechanic. He bought the used motors from the shops ( Sherwood Marina, hummingbird yatch services others ) or customers. He replaced the parts and I am sure he doesn't have a special computer for the motor testing.

I almost bought one off him. Discussed the motor and details on the phone before going to take a look. Agreed on a price subject to firing it up and doing a compression test. I was assured in excellent condition under 100 hrs.

I arrived to make the deal and the motor looked clean and in good shape. We fired it up in his test tank and it started fine. He then told me he couldn’t let it go as cheap as he said on the phone and upped the price $1000. I then asked to see the computer print out he had for hours etc. Surprise surprise he didn’t have it anymore and the cable for his laptop to scan the computer to show hours had just broke. I told him I would have a buddy stop by with a mechanics laptop to confirm hours, and his reply was that he replaced the computer with one out of a high hour motor so it would probably read 3000-4000 hours is scanned.

At this point I knew this obviously wasn’t a motor I would be buying but decided to check compression just out of curiousity. One cylinder was basically dead,
And the others had marginally enough.

I asked what else he had forsale and he took me into his shop where he had several beat up corroded motors in various states of repair.

And a few freshly painted motors that he claimed where low hour take offs in great shape.

From what I’ve seen and heard he buys old motors from the dealerships when people come into repower and the dealership doesn’t want the trade in.

On the plus side after seeing what he was doing and how “clean” he could get one of these motors to look it made my decision to go new that much easier.

Back