Do Salmon Hatcheries Work?

Sushihunter

http://www.thetyee.ca/News/2008/11/13/Hatcheries/

Do Salmon Hatcheries Work?
Millions of eggs plus so much human good will. Does it add up to more fish?

View full article and comments here http://thetyee.ca/News/2008/11/13/Hatcheries/

By Colleen Kimmett
Published: November 13, 2008
TheTyee.ca

Sandie Hollick-Kenyon wipes down the belly of a dead female chum salmon before slitting it open, letting thousands of beautiful, glistening pink eggs inside spill out into a plastic bucket.

In a few hours, she will take these eggs from here, the South Alouette River near Maple Ridge, to the Mossom Creek hatchery in Port Coquitlam, where they will be fertilized, incubated and eventually released as fry and smolts -- approximately 86,000 to 110,000 chum and coho in total. This egg-take operation is small potatoes compared to that of the major hatcheries in British Columbia. There are 19 of these facilities in British Columbia that altogether produce hundreds of millions of young salmon each year.

Any time people nurture salmon into existence, it would seem to obviously be a good news story for B.C.'s beleaguered salmon fishery.

But the role played in our coastal environment by these hatcheries -- as well as by smaller community and First Nations hatcheries -- is controversial. Some say the hatcheries do more harm than good. They are a sign of our failure to protect wild salmon habitat, and are in fact hurting some wild salmon stocks, charge critics.

Others counter they are a way to get people involved in watershed conservation, and without them, some stocks would simply disappear. One Department of Fisheries and Ocean officer likened hatcheries to "chemotherapy for the rivers," in other words, not an ideal situation, but better than the alternative.

Case against hatcheries

Is the cure doing more harm than good? According to Gordon Ennis, managing director of the Pacific Fisheries Resource Conservation Council, the jury is still out.

The council published two reports and held a series of public meetings on B.C. salmon hatcheries in 2005.

Ennis says some research supports the belief that hatchery fish impact wild stocks by competing for the same food resources, and bolstering commercial fleets that harvest abundant hatchery stocks as well as dwindling wild ones.

"The other big issue is with respect to genetics, whether hatchery fish are changing the genetic makeup of fish in the rivers, and how fit those fish are in the long term," says Ennis.

"But in our view, the information doesn't exist to be definitive as to what the impacts are or aren't."

"If you're going to have a program where so much money is being spent, it's incumbent to know the answers that we don't know yet," he adds.

Restoring a barren salmon stream

The program Ennis is referring to is the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP). It was created in 1979 with the goal of doubling the number of salmon on B.C.'s coast, and has a current operating budget of $25 million per year.

Ruth Foster and Rod McVickars started the Mossom Creek Hatchery 30 years ago with grant money from the newly launched SEP.

They were initially looking for a place to do field work with their Centennial High School students when they stumbled across the creek, Foster tells me.

Mossom Creek was puzzling, a perfectly healthy waterway with virtually no salmon.

"We concluded it had been fished out," said Foster. "In the '50s and '60s people were accustomed to coming to these little streams and just picking up dinner."

We're standing just under the tent where Hollick-Kenyon is supervising egg removal, at a site just adjacent to the river. Foster has to speak up over the clamour from a group of Grade 5 students who are here to observe, take part in, and videotape the egg-take as part of a class project on salmon.

Hundreds of kids like these ones have been involved with the hatchery. The current hatchery manager, Janet Rickards, first got involved when she was a student (and still calls Ruth "Mrs. Foster").

"A lot of today's kids never ever get outside. We're losing touch and we always say that you only care about what you know about," says Foster. "What we've seen over more than 30 years of working with kids in one place, in Mossom Creek, is that they do develop a sense of place and caring."

Along with the school group, about a dozen community volunteers have come out to help on this rainy Friday morning in late-October.

A fish fence guides weary and battered chum heading upriver into a concrete pen adjacent to the river, where they are netted, killed with a blow to the head from a rubber club and then hung head-down on a metal rack to bleed. The sperm, or milt, from males is simply squeezed out an opening near the base of the tail; the females have to be opened up.

Once all the eggs and milt are collected, from 12 females and seven males, we bring them back to the Mossom Creek hatchery. The take, incubation and rearing process is all supervised by Hollick-Kenyon, the DFO community advisor for the Burrard Inlet and Salmon Arm region.

Hatcheries getting lower returns

Hollick-Kenyon says the ultimate goal is for small hatcheries like Mossom Creek to not have to operate anymore because healthy watersheds will one day be able to produce naturally-spawning salmon.

Of the 6,000 to 10,000 coho smolts released each year, she estimates only a few adult pairs return.

Chum, of which 80,000 to 10,000 fry are released each year, fare a little better with returns of 400 to 600 adults. Even those numbers have declined in recent years, says Hollick-Kenyon.

"In this case, what's more important than production is community involvement and education," she says. "People can come up here and learn about their watershed and the value of a clean and healthy watershed. The fish are a tool, an engaging tool to get people involved."

Even large hatcheries, where production for commercial and sport fisheries is the main objective, are facing low returns this year.

Nitinat River hatchery is Canada's largest salmon hatchery, producing chum, coho, chinook and steelhead, and it is a major contributor to the commercial chum fishery. Nitinat used to take 40 million chum salmon eggs per year, but this year that number will be closer to 10 million.

"This year we didn't have the adult returns in chum, and we had to be satisfied with what we had," explains Galesloot. Those 10 million eggs are still only one-third of the lowered target for this year, which was 30 million.

Galesloot also blames "vagaries in the ocean," for the poor returns -- but these vagaries are not well understood, nor is the impact of climate change on salmon and other fish stocks.

He says he remembers clearly the "battle cry" of the SEP to double the salmon in British Columbia's waters.

"There were some years of glory, but there have been some years of diminished returns. It's been a tough haul."

'It's about people trying to feel good'

Craig Orr, executive director of the Watershed Watch Salmon Society, says that while small hatcheries do serve an educational purpose and maintain runs that would probably peter out altogether should the hatchery stop producing.

"It's about people trying to feel good about doing something for the fish," says Orr. "The conservation benefits are not really proven out there."

As for large hatcheries, he says pumping out millions of fish will not be effective if mortality rates in the ocean continue to rise.

Orr says likening hatcheries to "chemotherapy" for a river is an interesting analogy.

"I've heard people say that hatcheries are also a symbol that we failed to protect the natural productivity of the rivers," he says. "I think that's accurate as well."

Related Tyee stories:

In Praise of the Lowly Pink Salmon
The 100-Milers pursue guilt-free fish for the winter stockpile.

BC Salmon Future in Hot Water
Climate change + pine beetle = trouble for Fraser sockeye.

Salmon farming protest goes to the UN

Colleen Kimmett writes about energy and the environment for The Tyee and other publications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to Do Salmon Hatcheries Work?

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Interesting. But I don't like the negative underlying attitude of this article. Of course it would be nice if we didn't need hatcheries and the salmon would flourish like 150 years ago. But sadly enough that isn't so. Without hatcheries many smaller streams would be barren of any salmon or steelhead, the larger rivers would return a fraction of the fish with all the consequences for the linked ecosystem (no orcas, sea lions, seals, eagles, bears, rainforests...). No commercial fishing, very limited recreational fishing... If you look at this as the alternative I'd say we need more hatcheries. And the educational factor is huge, as indicated! And if we all smarten up maybe, maybe one day we can start abandoning hatcheries and keep the nature in a sustainable balance. But as long as this balance is way off we need to put in to make up.

i dont see there, where it says hatchery fish are there for us to kill, as has been put forth by some members ofrhefreshwater fishing forum.

quote:Originally posted by bee15

i dont see there, where it says hatchery fish are there for us to kill, as has been put forth by some members ofrhefreshwater fishing forum.

if it was not for the goldstream hatchery ,there would be no salmon from mill bay to sidney as we augment all the small streams on the lower island ,with high and low yrs,plus we fill net pens also.has been going since the early 60 s .

I happen to believe strongly in the need for more fish hatcheries.

Keep in mind that The Tyee is a very left-wing newspaper/website, and it's editorials/news is heavily slanted to the left and various eco-loony opinions.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Howdy,

Sushi, thanks for posting the link to the article on hatchery's. Contrary to your evaluation of 'The Tyee', I've read some very well-written and informative stuff therein. Articles produced by knowledgeable, caring people, like Rafe Mair for example, or Dr. Craig Orr. Perhaps what you are referring to as 'left-wing' and 'eco-loony' is 'The Tyee's' propensity to slam the fishfarmers and the DFO.

In my view, this country and province could use a thousand more sources such as this.

My two-bits.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Have to agree with LH. I have found the Tyee to be quite informative and well written, and a refreshing departure from the corporate controlled mainstream media. With regard to hatcheries, of course they work – one only has to look at the Columbia to see a situation where hatcheries produce – of course it is at the cost of huge (and I mean huge) losses in natural habitat and genetic diversity. To think we will maintain productive wild stocks in southern B.C. is to be very naïve – the fact is that resource extraction (minerals, timber, water) and land use provide much greater short term economic benefits than long term habitat protection. Tributaries to the Fraser River below Hope used to produce enormous numbers of anadromous salmonids – now urban development and agriculture have decimated the majority of them. What is the alternative? To quote Bill Otway, “What do you want, wild fish or to go fishing?” Our social values and economic model don’t allow for both.

I just read another article that said the Robertson Creek hatchery was close to their escpaement goals for taking roe, so they are going to let the rest of the hatchery fish spawn "WILD". This makes me wonder, are there any true wild stocks left on rivers with hatcheries? I would tend to think: NO. But the fact of the matter is that without the hatcheries, noone would be allowed to fish. DFO and commercials pretty much cleaned out just about all of the wild fish. A bad example of releasing salmon is at Poets Nook, apparently some brainiak out there let go a bunch of spring salmon from their boat ramp and now these fish where going around the nook looking for a place to spawn. I have a hard time with this and almost feel it is inhumane to tease fish like this. Why not take them down the road and let them go at Sarita of something? At least then they would contribute to that rivers numbers. I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands, but that aint going to happen though so I guess hatchery fish it is! ;)

Take only what you need.

hatchery fish that spawn wild are the future. so thankyou to hatcheries and all the people involved

quote:I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands,
:D Nice!

But I feel in order to bring back the mammoths all natives should go back across the Bering Sea to Siberia!!!

quote:Originally posted by chris73

...But I feel in order to bring back the mammoths all natives should go back across the Bering Sea to Siberia!!!

1.gif
5.gif
20.gif

I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands, but that aint going to happen though so I guess hatchery fish it is!

This could be misconstrued as a racist comment ...:D
funny doesn't bother me.

The Fish Assassin said: "I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands, but that aint going to happen though so I guess hatchery fish it is!"

butt'n: Like my grandparents and their grandparents etc, Canada is my home and my children's home: we did not steal it, we did not borrow it, and we do not ask permission or owe anyone for the priviledge of calling it our home.

Your racially motivated comments clearly fall under the topic of promoting hatred and are against our general agreement in the priviledge of using this forum.

Howdy,

Agreed Nimo. If we can all stay focused on the BIG PRIZE - the rejuvenation/rehabilitation of Wild Pacific Salmon - then we can all resign ourselves to the fact that we are ALL part of the problem (regardless of skin colour) and need to work as ONE to accomplish what some have said is a 'Pipe-dream'. I believe Pacific Salmon can be saved and the resource restored to its former glory; it may not happen in our generation but we can begin to plant the seeds today.

Just my 2-bits... coming from someone who's stuck his foot in his mouth many times on this forum.

Cheers,
Terry

quote:I feel the only way to save the wild stocks would be for all of the immigrants (white's included) to leave and go back to thier homlands

I see how it could be misconstrued as a racial comment, but I was referring to the amount of salmon that where here before settlement.
If you keep reading I also made reference to the fact that you are "here to stay" and re lightened the tone of it by saying "so I guess hatchery fish it is!" I might have forgotten a ;), but no harm intended.

No one can argue the fact that since "certain" immigrants arrived here the salmon stocks have rapidly depleted. The rivers were all full of salmon, even with us walking over the land bridge. Call it a coincidence if you want and take on no responsibility. I'm sorry but status quo... the salmon will suffer the most.

And BTW Mammoth's where the first casualty of global warming!!

There is no doubt that hatcheries work. Doing enforcement work on both the Little and Big Q's, as well as counting fish, and also clearing debris, stripping the roe and so on, there isn't any real wild runs left there, but there are lots of fish at times, so aye they work to produce fish, but are they as efficient as they could be? I would be all for maxing out the hatcheries production and to put a hatchery on every river on the coast, but in the global market it would drive down the price of salmon. There are some salmon hatcheries in the world that have it set up that once a month they release salmon from the hatchery to the sea. Our hatcheries are quickly becoming outdated and obsolete with no infrastructure money available to expand. It is up to government to increase their spending on Salmon Enhancement. I'm sure that with the world's economy foreseeing doom it is not too high on the agenda of things to do for our government. Perhaps there will be a time for them to increase production, but I don't think it is going to happen soon.

It is too bad that lot of the effort of producing salmon is wasted on Ocean survival. Is there not some way of keeping the salmon in the hatcheries until they mature a little bit more before they are released? Or to pen them at the river mouth until they reach shaker size? Can they fend for themselves better at that stage?

Take only what you need.

quote:And BTW Mammoth's where the first casualty of global warming!!

Sounds exactly like the excuse our current government is using to explain the dismal state of condition of the salmon stocks ;)

Back