URGENT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery - DFO Online Survey-Deadline March 2nd (Salmon Fishing Area Closures 2022)

Survey says, we have no rights in this country and our elected officials cater towards not good moments in our lives. I say send it anyway **** this

The facts are there will not be another survey. The SFAB has been engaged in several meetings with DFO on this, and requested DFO meet directly with local knowledge holders in the local SFAC communities impacted directly by these proposals. DFO to their credit listened and held meetings last week. Local SFAC communities presented alternative options, and provided meaningful well thought out observations and local knowledge to support those.

While the survey questions aren't perfect, frankly pretty difficult to get all the options and questions properly framed out of the gate without first hearing from local folks who are very familiar with these areas and the habits of the whales. That said, each survey question provides a drop down box for people to provide written input. Suggesting that well thought out written comments offering good input and alternatives is far more meaningful than simply answering a yes or no to a question.

To that end, please complete the survey as it will be your only opportunity to provide input. Waiting around complaining about the survey will solve nothing at this point given the very short timelines DFO has to collect input, provide a Briefing Note to the Minister, and for the Minister to make a decision on 2022 Fishery Measures in time to have those incorporated into this season's regulations. April being the drop dead date. Make no mistake, there will be new fishery measures in place for this 2022 season.

Given the timeline and what is on the line, why would anyone not take this opportunity to have your say? Its your opportunity to provide input.

I'm sure there are detractors who would wish that no recreational angler participates - if we listen to those folks they have accomplished their mission to side track meaningful input.

Nothing wrong with filling out the survey and following up with an email on it. In fact I suggest we all do.

The facts are there will not be another survey. The SFAB has been engaged in several meetings with DFO on this, and requested DFO meet directly with local knowledge holders in the local SFAC communities impacted directly by these proposals. DFO to their credit listened and held meetings last week. Local SFAC communities presented alternative options, and provided meaningful well thought out observations and local knowledge to support those.

While the survey questions aren't perfect, frankly pretty difficult to get all the options and questions properly framed out of the gate without first hearing from local folks who are very familiar with these areas and the habits of the whales. That said, each survey question provides a drop down box for people to provide written input. Suggesting that well thought out written comments offering good input and alternatives is far more meaningful than simply answering a yes or no to a question.

To that end, please complete the survey as it will be your only opportunity to provide input. Waiting around complaining about the survey will solve nothing at this point given the very short timelines DFO has to collect input, provide a Briefing Note to the Minister, and for the Minister to make a decision on 2022 Fishery Measures in time to have those incorporated into this season's regulations. April being the drop dead date. Make no mistake, there will be new fishery measures in place for this 2022 season.

Given the timeline and what is on the line, why would anyone not take this opportunity to have your say? Its your opportunity to provide input.

I'm sure there are detractors who would wish that no recreational angler participates - if we listen to those folks they have accomplished their mission to side track meaningful input.
Pat-- so where is the info that has been put together by the SRKW committee and the local SFA committees that will help guide those of us who want to help ? What are the recommendations for those of us who only fish occasionally Vic and westcoast ?

Edit--- I have now gotten some of the info that is required to make intelligent comments to support the SFACs on the south and west coast. I will take a day or so to put together a personal submission to DFO, along the lines of the input from Vic, Sooke and Renfrew as those are the areas that I have more info about. Part of the communication breakdown on my part was a failure of my Live mail. ( but not taking all of the blame here ) I am on Gmail now.

Is there info going to the other parts of the Province that have a SFAC or strong public fishing voice that could/should support us southerners vis a vis the SRKW issue ?

Last edited:
Pat-- so where is the info that has been put together by the SRKW committee and the local SFA committees that will help guide those of us who want to help ? What are the recommendations for those of us who only fish occasionally Vic and westcoast ?

Edit--- I have now gotten some of the info that is required to make intelligent comments to support the SFACs on the south and west coast. I will take a day or so to put together a personal submission to DFO, along the lines of the input from Vic, Sooke and Renfrew as those are the areas that I have more info about. Part of the communication breakdown on my part was a failure of my Live mail. ( but not taking all of the blame here ) I am on Gmail now.

Is there info going to the other parts of the Province that have a SFAC or strong public fishing voice that could/should support us southerners vis a vis the SRKW issue ?
Thanks Brian, sorry was a really busy week and long weekend to boot. SFAB group will gather in the local SFAC group input to provide a summary on preferred options and input. Plan was to foward that to all the SFAC Chairs to distribute to their groups. Strongly encourage folks to look over the questions and start drafting your advice. I attended the SFAC group meetings with DFO and was very impressed by the quality of local knowledge shared with DFO. DFO for their part carefully noted input - not suggesting they agreed in any way, just that the input was heard and noted. Appreciate that likely a lot of people could not attend those meetings due to work commitments etc, so great opportunity for those folks to provide comments in the survey dialogue box that pops up below each question after you select a response.

One of the true strengths of the SFAB process is that it connects recreational fishery participants at the community grass-roots, and helps pull in that local knowledge to inform DFO and the Fisheries Minister on management decisions. There are often life-times of knowledge that benefits DFO in considering management options.

I concur. The decision has already been made. The survey and them pretending to listen to what we have to say and to consider our proposals is all smoke and mirrors. We have gone down this road year after year and all the emails, voice-mail messages left on dfo and politicians office lines have got us nothing. I refuse to continue playing this stupid game they are offering where they tell us to dress up like a clown and clap our hands like a buffoon so that they would consider what we have to say.... in reality they (DFO, first national, and NGOs) are all laughing at how stupid and gullible we are.

What is happening is the continual stripping away of our rights to land a fish or 2 to enjoy with family and friends. It's also taking away our children's rights since these decision will not be reversed any time soon.. if we could at least get 25% of the rec sector out making a stick and pushing back against these measures, perhaps it would make a difference. But writing letters and filling out surveys is NOT going to get us anywhere. Have we not gone through this same song and dance for past few years?
I agree it is SUPER frustrating, BS, ongoing situation! But doing nothing, providing no resistance will only ensure one thing - the end of the Public Fishery.

I would say at the very least if a few refuse to fill out the survey (which I personally disagree and think is a BIG mistake!) that they do something positive for the Public Fishery. Such as financially support of known lobbying group, volunteer at a hatchery or habitat restoration project, start a website that promotes the goals and values of the Public Fishery, etc.... Because if we sit back and complain and do nothing our doom is absolutely guaranteed! This is what DFO and the ENGO' s are hoping for. Let's disappoint them and fight for what we know is important!

Currently lobbying groups are pressuring DFO and politicians as we speak - I know this for a fact! I believe it will make some difference as it has in the past. Is it everything we want? - No! Is it better than what we would get then by doing nothing - YES!

Last edited:
I agree it is SUPER frustrating, BS, ongoing situation! But doing nothing, providing no resistance will only ensure one thing - the end of the Public Fishery.

I would say at the very least if a few refuse to fill out the survey (which I personally disagree and think is a BIG mistake!) that they do something positive for the Public Fishery. Such as financially support of known lobbying group, volunteer at a hatchery or habitat restoration project, start a website that promotes the goals and values of the Public Fishery, etc.... Because if we sit back and complain and do nothing our doom is absolutely guaranteed! This is what DFO and the ENGO' s are hoping for. Let's disappoint them and fight for what we know is important!

Currently lobbying groups are pressuring DFO and politicians as we speak - I know this for a fact! I believe it will make some difference as it has in the past. Is it everything we want? - No! Is it better than what we would get then by doing nothing - YES!
Well if these lobbying groups are receiving foreign donations they should have their bank accounts frozen due to the harm they cause to resident sport fishers based on current practice.
This is after all an emergency is it not?

Choosing one of those options is not helping either.

Can you press apply and send in the survey without choosing an option? Only leaving comments?

Are the comments going to be read and considered?

The survey is just like voting there is no option for none of the above. At least there are some comment sections.

Choosing one of those options is not helping either.

Can you press apply and send in the survey without choosing an option? Only leaving comments?

Are the comments going to be read and considered?
Hey captain negative we pretty well get your feeling on the survey now.. it's someone that just needs to be done..

Hey captain negative we pretty well get your feeling on the survey now.. it's someone that just needs to be done..

Haha well I'm definitely not insulting anyone by having an opinion and expressing it that's for sure

It was an honest question

Of course u can express that & have over and over again .. kinda like ground hog day... We all know and for the most part agree with you but after while it just brings folks down and we just need to do are part and get it done.. Your SFAB rerps have put a pile hrs into this and it changed a lot from what it orginal looked like....

I want to fill out the survey and make comments that are science based, factual and meaningful. But, my knowledge of most of the areas is limited and it's hard to correlate the science with the geography. I can make an emotional comment about them taking away our Westcoast lifestyle, but i'm not sure that's enough.

I know its a lot of work, but is it possible for someone knowledgable to summarize a way to fill out the survey that is both factual and meaningful? It is my feeling that if I make survey comments that are incorrect, the readers will disregard my opinion as not worth considering. I want to make a credible plea.

That is very well put @drivel. I feel that alot of people in the sport community share the same feeling. For me yes there is absolutely a lifestyle emotional part, however for me and most of the community I'm directly tied to.. it's about economics 100 percent. Canada need to figure out how to manage their resources before they crush our GDP. Between commercial, sport, marine, recreation, lodging, fuel, list goes on forever on how detrimental this industry is for BC. We should be working together managing our resources. That's my 2cents.

That is very well put @drivel. I feel that alot of people in the sport community share the same feeling. For me yes there is absolutely a lifestyle emotional part, however for me and most of the community I'm directly tied to.. it's about economics 100 percent. Canada need to figure out how to manage their resources before they crush our GDP. Between commercial, sport, marine, recreation, lodging, fuel, list goes on forever on how detrimental this industry is for BC. We should be working together managing our resources. That's my 2cents.
Full agree ... just not sure if this current government will

I want to fill out the survey and make comments that are science based, factual and meaningful. But, my knowledge of most of the areas is limited and it's hard to correlate the science with the geography. I can make an emotional comment about them taking away our Westcoast lifestyle, but i'm not sure that's enough.

I know its a lot of work, but is it possible for someone knowledgable to summarize a way to fill out the survey that is both factual and meaningful? It is my feeling that if I make survey comments that are incorrect, the readers will disregard my opinion as not worth considering. I want to make a credible plea.
This shows you how stupid this survey is. Who ever made it up thinks that a person fishes Vancouver, Gulf islands, pt Renfrew, east Sooke. I have only ever fish in one of these areas. I do not know these other areas.

Finished my survey with this.....
In this questionnaire you reference a user group whose sole purpose is the locate marine mammals, particularly whales and including SRKW. They then proceed at high speed and in groups of multiple vessels to "observe" marine mammals, particularly whales and SRKW. This does not to me represent and avoidance strategy for SRKW at all

Back