URGENT: Southern Resident Killer Whale Recovery - DFO Online Survey-Deadline March 2nd (Salmon Fishing Area Closures 2022)

Time for a "Freedom Fishing Convoy". Seems like you need to shut something down, get international attention and find a way to politically hurt the Liberals and their Leader before change happens. That Trucker Convoy is huge news here in Europe, and not playing well at all for JT. Survey done and passed to many friends.

I am not a giant fan of Justin Trudeau or any of the parties that could possibly form the federal government. I also really like to fish, have done so all my life, and don't like having my ability to do so curtailed. Suggesting that sport fishers align their strategies with the antivax trucker protests which for the mainstream of society, who actually elect the governments that make policy, is aligning with anti science, anti- expertise, racism and the US ludicrous right, and will just end up marginalizing our interests.

I am not a giant fan of Justin Trudeau or any of the parties that could possibly form the federal government. I also really like to fish, have done so all my life, and don't like having my ability to do so curtailed. Suggesting that sport fishers align their strategies with the antivax trucker protests which for the mainstream of society, who actually elect the governments that make policy, is aligning with anti science, anti- expertise, racism and the US ludicrous right, and will just end up marginalizing our interests.
No one is suggesting that we "align our strategies" to those of the antivax truckers. We're using it as a real example of when a united group of stakeholders can put pressure on a minority government and they're clearly caving in. The "democratic process" of letter writing and talking to different ranks of the government is puttign us on the path of being eliminated from the stakeholders list.

We're probably digressing here but maybe you can tell us what you recommending in terms of a workable solution?

That quote you got is ridiculous. So now they are eating other salmon.

Pretty quiet on here. I am really surprised of how little everyone is interested in this. It will close half of the Juan de fuca fishery if it goes through. I don't think people get it honestly.
I think most people feel a little defeated....Trudeau's Liberals are gonna do what they want no matter how many people speak up. Sad but true.

Defeated is right.
I have tried making it through the survey twice.
Just end up copying and pasting the same thing:
These closures are not based on science, but on emotional response to anti-harvesting fringe elements. Recreational fishing on the ocean is not the problem.

No one is suggesting that we "align our strategies" to those of the antivax truckers. We're using it as a real example of when a united group of stakeholders can put pressure on a minority government and they're clearly caving in. The "democratic process" of letter writing and talking to different ranks of the government is puttign us on the path of being eliminated from the stakeholders list.

We're probably digressing here but maybe you can tell us what you recommending in terms of a workable solution?
Actually you are mistaken.
The post immediately above mine makes that analogy very directly.

As far as a solution, there is no short and catchy answer to this. Government policy decisions are never completely driven by science, because they need to get reelected and people don't generally vote according to science, and pacific salmon is a regional issue that can get sacrificed to bigger political ambitions, and both whales and salmon are large attractive animals to people who might vote liberal across the country, and don't have a in depth understanding of the issue (and don't care beyond the surface reaction). It is also the case that the science on this is fairly inconclusive, and it is reasonable to employ the precautionary principle when making a decision where the cost of getting it wrong is very high.
There is now a considerable history of fisheries being managed into the ground in Canada and around the world. I think its pretty likely that freshwater habitat and ocean conditions as well as any intensive commercial harvest have much more impact than sport fishing. I also think most sport fishers have less impact on whales than other types of marine traffic. Last year the whales we saw feeding were mostly humpbacks and they seemed totally oblivious to sport fishers which as far as I saw made an effort not to bother them.
I don't know myself if the SRKW closed areas will make a difference for the whales, I honestly don't have the expertise. I tend to think the closures are unnecessary and of course I don't like anything which limits my fishing.
I however really don't think it is in the political interests of sports fishers to take on the image of the antivax trucker protest.

I starting filling out the survey, but quite honestly I don't know how to answer the questions. I am unfamiliar most of the area's so I don't know which option, if any, best supports sportsfishers and/or whales. Help?
As the average sportsfisherman, I have a basic GPS/plotter, but still, with only basic navigational skills, how is the regular Joe supposed to know where boundary lines and points are if they're not based on some sort of visable point? Far to complicated and complete BS.

Actually you are mistaken.
The post immediately above mine makes that analogy very directly.

As far as a solution, there is no short and catchy answer to this. Government policy decisions are never completely driven by science, because they need to get reelected and people don't generally vote according to science, and pacific salmon is a regional issue that can get sacrificed to bigger political ambitions, and both whales and salmon are large attractive animals to people who might vote liberal across the country, and don't have a in depth understanding of the issue (and don't care beyond the surface reaction). It is also the case that the science on this is fairly inconclusive, and it is reasonable to employ the precautionary principle when making a decision where the cost of getting it wrong is very high.
There is now a considerable history of fisheries being managed into the ground in Canada and around the world. I think its pretty likely that freshwater habitat and ocean conditions as well as any intensive commercial harvest have much more impact than sport fishing. I also think most sport fishers have less impact on whales than other types of marine traffic. Last year the whales we saw feeding were mostly humpbacks and they seemed totally oblivious to sport fishers which as far as I saw made an effort not to bother them.
I don't know myself if the SRKW closed areas will make a difference for the whales, I honestly don't have the expertise. I tend to think the closures are unnecessary and of course I don't like anything which limits my fishing.
I however really don't think it is in the political interests of sports fishers to take on the image of the antivax trucker protest.I
No, Ringo isn't. You are. I didn't read all your wordy response, but, I know what I said.

We should fill out the survey, because it is one way of letting government know people are concerned rather than apathetic
I did fill it out, but it was very leading and limited the options to ”DFO, plan A, PlanB, or Plan C, all of which seemed based on the premise that closures were working and further closures were necessary. Clearly in my opinion it lacked the none of the above choice which I’ll wager would have out polled all the others. Now I worry we will have the fact we took the time to fill it out used against us. Pretty easy to for them to say, “ we will be closing the following areas as a result of a poll conducted and agreed to by….% of Public fishers”. You can bet they won’t mention how they had already decided the only correct/ accepted answer was expand closures even though they had no new research to suggest the current ones had been effective. Its a classic government ploy used to mislead its audience.

utter ******** and you me and every sportfisher / is getting butt F***ked by DFO and the Gov and other parties ... there laying it down and we the sheep have no option but to accept there so called objectives ......

time to just knock it on the head as these clowns have taken the smile times away from this passion which i should not have to fight for and even if we do voice its already decided and there is A definite No we the decision makers are not listening to you even if there is proof we have a sustainable fishery ........

I did fill it out, but it was very leading and limited the options to ”DFO, plan A, PlanB, or Plan C, all of which seemed based on the premise that closures were working and further closures were necessary. Clearly in my opinion it lacked the none of the above choice which I’ll wager would have out polled all the others. Now I worry we will have the fact we took the time to fill it out used against us. Pretty easy to for them to say, “ we will be closing the following areas as a result of a poll conducted and agreed to by….% of Public fishers”. You can bet they won’t mention how they had already decided the only correct/ accepted answer was expand closures even though they had no new research to suggest the current ones had been effective. Its a classic government ploy used to mislead its audience.
Agreed. I filled it out and did not choose any of the options. Just filled out the comment areas with my thoughts and checked the sections for no more closures.
You are right though. This is a loaded survey, just like the past surveys. Forcing you to cut your own throat.

Somebody should fill a map of southern Vancouver Island with all the "RCA',"non-retention","whale sanctuary" etc. area's to show what's left.Where do we take our kids to fish when they're off in the summer? Do we (non-indiginous) plain white folks that have lived here forever have any rights at all ? I may have to rethink my intentions of buying an expensive boat,or at least a "Fishing" boat.

QUOTE:

"We know that the number of Southern Resident Killer Whales has been declining and action is required to protect this iconic species."
The Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard

Show me the evidence. Id say they are doing pretty well. They came back in numbers after they stole half the pod and sold them around the world.

QUOTE:
  • Building on the historic $1.5 billion Oceans Protection Plan, the Government of Canada invested $167 million in Budget 2018 to protect key endangered whale populations.

• Through the national Coastal Restoration Fund, the Government of Canada is providing $75 million in funding to support marine habitat restoration priorities and address threats to marine species located on Canada’s coasts and waterways. To date, a total of $14.9 million has been announced to support 11 projects across British Columbia. This work will help restore habitat for Chinook salmon, the preferred prey of the endangered Southern Resident Killer Whale.

Crushing an industry worth several billions annually. Wheres the billion of dollars in funding to sustain and manage our food, commercial and sport fishing industry? If all those whales eat is salmon lol why not make more salmon. What a joke. Everyone knows thats not true. How could that possibly be true? Cant manage a fishery or a country. Habitat restoration will help no doubt. Thats a small percentage of salmon enhancement.

Either way its a joke. If i can go out there and catch a half dozen chinoook in a few hours, your telling me that these whales cant get any? These people think that we will out fish an Orca? The only way I could out fish an Orca is if I caught all the Orcas. I see those whales all the time, feeding on all kinds of things, playing on the beaches, they are happy.

Bottom line. I don't care what the environmentalists say. We cannot out fish an Orca. Not a chance. Not happening. If they show up they get their feed and they carry on.

Canada has the following

Mining
Oil
Wood
Fishing
Bunch of idiots making all of that go away

Last edited:
Back