Update on 2016 JDF Fishing Tournament-Aug. 20-21

Whole in the Water

If you don't have tickets there is still time to do so! This is the biggest derby on SVI and proceeds go to a great cause - the Sooke River Chinook Revitalization Project.

To buy tournament tickets with a Visa or MasterCard, for all tournament details, updates and info go to www.jdfderby.ca

Retail vendors also have tickets for cash sales only. (Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine Marine, EagleEye Outfitters)

Email Note From Rollie Rose:
To All Tournament Participants and Those Who Have Yet To Purchase A Ticket

We are just a month away from the August 20th & 21St weekend so we thought it would be appropriate to give you the latest news and tournament updates. Firstly most of you are probably aware of the good news that as of July 16th the Chinook restrictions in Juan De Fuca Strait (ares 19/20) have ended. We are now under normal summer fishing limits for Chinook of 2 per day with no slot size and your 2 fish can be either wild or hatchery. To add to this good news a few larger Chinook have just started to appear in recent days both in Sooke and Port Renfrew. August is consistently a good time to fish for Chinook and we are expecting our new tournament dates will pay off with a fun weekend for all with typical August good weather, calm seas and lots of fish.

We have now topped the $100,000.00 in prizes and cash available to win in this years tournament!! This includes the $20,000.00 in cash for the winner. Our accumulator jackpot is now over $7,000.00 and if we sell this years tournament out we should see close to $10,000.00 in that one jackpot. We have added a couple more categories this year. This year we are bringing back the hat and t-shirt prize from the previous JDF Derby. The prize is a Trophy Mooching Reel with a value of $300.00 You must be wearing both your tournament hat and t-shirt to win. We also have a hidden weight prize this year with a Canon Digital SLR camera worth $700.00 to be awarded to the winner. For the person who just misses the top 10 largest Chinook we have the (I just Missed Prize) which is a night for 6 persons in the Harbour Air suite at the Veteran's Memorial Centre to watch a Victoria Royal's Game. Value is over $300.00

IMPORTANT DEADLINES:

T-Shirts: For those of you who have yet to buy a ticket there are some important dates coming up. We will place our 2nd t-shirt order with our supplier on August 1st. This order date insures that we will have them in hand to give out on the final pub registration night on Tuesday August 16th. If you buy a ticket after August 1st you will not get a tournament t-shirt at the final pub night or before the tournament itself. This will mean you will not be eligible for the hat & t-shirt prize as you won't have a t-shirt. We will offer you a t-shirt for $10.00 to cover our increased costs to put in a small order after the tournament.

Awards Ceremony Roast Beef Buffet: Our caterers have requested us to commit to final numbers of people who will be served a meal at the awards banquet by Monday August 8th. To prevent wastage and unnecessary costs which reduce the monies that would be donated to our Sooke Chinook project we will only order meals for those who have purchased tournament tickets prior to Monday August 8th. All tournament tickets have a question on them: Do you plan on attending the awards banquet. Only those persons who have answered yes and who purchase a tournament ticket prior to our deadline will be invited up to the meal lineup. Those who have answered no or who buy a ticket after August 8th are still welcome to attend the awards banquet, there just will not be a meal allotted to those persons. If you were undecided in your answer to attending the banquet and you now know you will attend, you should contact myself before August 8th to be included in the food order. Extra meal tickets are available for $25.00 if you have a friend or family member who would is not in the tournament but who would like to join you at the awards banquet. You will have to contact us prior to August 8th to purchase an extra meal ticket.

FINAL PUB NIGHT REGISTRATION

Our final pub night tournament registration night is on Tuesday August 16th from 5-9 pm at the Tally Ho Sports Bar. This will be the final opportunity for anyone who has not attended one of our pub nights to pick up their tournament tickets and register themselves in the tournament. This is also your final opportunity to pick up your t-shirts/hats, rule booklets and window stickers. This is also you final chance to buy into the winner take all team jackpots offered at $100 - $250 - $500 - $1,000 buy in. It is also you final chance to enter the exact weight accumulator jackpot for 2016. We will have tournament tickets for sale at the pub night as well.

If you have already purchased your 2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament tickets we thank you for your continued support. You have probably heard that the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalitions Sooke River Chinook project received the rubber stamp of approval a few weeks ago. We are now moving ahead with the collection of eggs from Nitinat this fall. While we were cut back to 200,000 eggs this year the goal is still to ramp up to 2,000,000 eggs by 2020. DFO decided to start us off at 200,000 in the first year as we are a new group and they wanted to make sure we have the technical ability to manage this project. Obviously once we get to the 2,000,000 production level this is going to create a major increase in food supply for our resident killer whales but it will also provide a major boost to our local Chinook fishery in Juan De Fuca Strait!!! All proceeds from this tournament are going to this effort.

If you have yet to buy a tournament ticket please give it serious consideration as a sold out event is expected to direct $40,000.00 towards this Sooke Chinook project. Your participation will allow us to finance this project and build towards our 2020 goal of 2,000,000 new Chinook in our local waters.

Thank you to all of you, good luck on the tournament weekend and we hope you really enjoy this years Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament.

To buy tournament tickets with a Visa or MasterCard, for all tournament details, updates and info go to www.jdfderby.ca

Our retail vendors also have tickets for cash sales only. (Island Outfitters, Wise Buys, Alpine Marine, EagleEye Outfitters)

Rollie Rose/tournament organizer

(sscl@shaw.ca)

This derby has gotten too expensive for me. I don't expect to win a top prize so $150 or more per rod for a small chance of a random draw is not justifiable for me. Hope you get a good turn out though as the cause is noble.

This is the same ticket price as the Sidney Anglers Derby which usually has about $30,000.00 on the prize table. 50% of the $100,000 is given out by draw to those who simply land and enter a fish over the 5 pound minimum. The other 50% is given away for those who compete for the top fish. This year we have a full roast beef buffet for the meal upgrade which is a result of saving money on the rental of our new banquet facility and the extras that are now included in the rental of the space. We will also have live entertainment at the banquet.
I figure I have about 200 hours of my volunteer time invested in the organization of this event so far, I'm also contributing about $900.00 in prizes to the event and I also pay for my own ticket. Now that is expensive!!! We do know that not everyone will be able to participate in the derby for various reasons, some people don't like derbies. We do hope that everyone who fishes on the South Island will support SVIAC and our efforts to keep salmon returning in healthy numbers and to ensure you continue to be able to fish for them. $40.00 a year for a memership that comes with a discount card that allows you to save 10 to 15% at our retail corporate sponsors is cheap. That money is used to lobby on your behalf while the derby proceeds go to the Sooke Chinook project.

I wanted to put out a big thank you to the following tackle manufacture sponsors for being so very generous again this year. I'm still organizing all the grab bags and have to make a run for more zip lock bags to finish these up. These guys really step up and support our efforts, they are: Oki Tackle, Hot Spot Lures, Durabaits, AP Tackleworks and Protroll Fishing Products. Also a thank you to SG Power Products, Sherwood Marine Centre and Yamaha for their generous donations to these draw grab bags.

And still more to bag up yet!!

Back