Underwater footage

You guys are overthinking this too much, feeding salmon aren't leader or swivel shy.

Salmon on a major feeding frenzy no, for those in between times when they are iffy, it all adds up and makes a difference. Salmon are no different from any other fish, when they are hungry and aggressive they will hit just about anything, sting them a couple times and get them in between heavy bites it's totally different. On top of that get schools of fish in those mess of boats and lures down there on some of those busy days and busy spots and it's the setups that are just right that will consitantly produce. Never ever is it a mistake to pay attention to the details, it's what separates good fishermen from people that fish. It's why 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the people.

Walleyes - couldn't agree with you more.

Why take the chance on iffy fish. Floro carbon leaders and top quality swivels etc., are key.

If you are paying $ 4 000 - 5 000 for a trip, whats another couple hundred to make sure you have the best advantage.

Salmon on a major feeding frenzy no, for those in between times when they are iffy, it all adds up and makes a difference. Salmon are no different from any other fish, when they are hungry and aggressive they will hit just about anything, sting them a couple times and get them in between heavy bites it's totally different. On top of that get schools of fish in those mess of boats and lures down there on some of those busy days and busy spots and it's the setups that are just right that will consitantly produce. Never ever is it a mistake to pay attention to the details, it's what separates good fishermen from people that fish. It's why 90% of the fish are caught by 10% of the people.

Well I disagree on many levels....and the guides and fishermen who catch the most fish seldom do much different than anyone else....I say one thing....guides don't necessarily do it different....we do it better...and we don't look for swivel noise as excuses.

Guides aren't rich and we don't spend money on half the bullsh*t marketed out there as the next big thing.

I've already guided a few days this year. I fish the same spoons and Hoochies and Plugs I always have. They work. They continue to work. They still work.

I will tell you that the most productive guides don't have fancy coloured rods, reels, lines or the most famous marketed crap burning up social media this season in the water. If they do....it's because they got it for cheap. Guides and business owners love cheap. Fancy sells though.

Guides fish the same barrel swivels, sampos, snaps, bead chains as everyone else that is available any respectable high volume store.

I have more tackle than most....but it's all the good stuff....the same good stuff that always works In a specific time and a specific place.

Not sure what lure he's using in those video clips but they would be the first thing I'd change....before I put anything in the water.

I Love Haida Gwaii, the swivel noise is interesting, and I would you request you give us a photo of the swivel so we can see what the noise maker looks like. I am always intrigued at how salmon come take a close look and most often, turn away because of smell, action, or other, but.... never had it thought about line or swivel noise.

thank you for posting. DAJ

I looked and I don't have anymore of the swivels. It was a bead chain swivel. I think 60#.

I have some 30# bead chain. Not sure if they are quieter

Well I disagree on many levels....and the guides and fishermen who catch the most fish seldom do much different than anyone else....I say one thing....guides don't necessarily do it different....we do it better...and we don't look for swivel noise as excuses.

Guides aren't rich and we don't spend money on half the bullsh*t marketed out there as the next big thing.

I've already guided a few days this year. I fish the same spoons and Hoochies and Plugs I always have. They work. They continue to work. They still work.

I will tell you that the most productive guides don't have fancy coloured rods, reels, lines or the most famous marketed crap burning up social media this season in the water. If they do....it's because they got it for cheap. Guides and business owners love cheap. Fancy sells though.

Guides fish the same barrel swivels, sampos, snaps, bead chains as everyone else that is available any respectable high volume store.

I have more tackle than most....but it's all the good stuff....the same good stuff that always works In a specific time and a specific place.

Not sure what lure he's using in those video clips but they would be the first thing I'd change....before I put anything in the water.

First off guides catch most of the fish because they fish most of the time lol. Never once did I mention the latest and greatest gadget quite the opposite what I said was, pay attention to the details in what we use, As you said "what we do we do it right" would that not mean paying attention to the details !! Or does it mean not eating Bananas in the boat ? Most guides fish a certain area constantly and as such have learned what works best in that area, the fine details that make that area different from others, same basic techniques but each area has its own quirks. That's why certain lures work better than others, it's just that certain twist our colour that works better, not the same just better, that's why you have your favourite spin on a chovie, cause it's the detail in it that works better. Do you just throw a chovie in the holder and throw it over board cause well, doesn't matter, your a guide you catch fish? Never did I mention swivel noise as an excuse, don't need excuses I catch fish just fine. But what I do is constantly try to better my ways, improve on things and learn, anyone that doesn't stops learning, sad day. I as well run run of the mill swivels but what I do regularly is make sure they are lubed and working smoothly, guides probly change theirs out often enough they run smooth anyways.

I learned something from the mans videos, they were interesting and a useful tool and again thx for posting them.

When the gopro has it's under water case on the sound is nasty gets all magnified ,wind ,your hand just touching it , the swivel isn't that loud
that's why most videos under water are muted or music in the back ground ... i have under water video's and the water just hitting the gp sounds like
Niagara falls ...
Sound of our motor ,humming of the downrigger cable etc ,the flasher whipping ,the fish is annoyed and wants to check it out which is a good thing and if
that gear is whipping he's gonna wanna play ..

Who says the fish didn't like the swivel noise?!

Great vids, so cool to see what for years we could only imagine :)

Next month I am going to use the camera while trolling cut plugs along the Kelp. I hope to get some good footage.

Also I will make sure to upload more than just the fails. I have video of when things work & it's even funnier to watch.

Yah at times it could all help to trigger a bite there's truth to that, rattling baits work at times. Just depends what type of bite you are going after and what works at the time. Whether you are chasing an atractor instinctive bite or an imitation feeder bite.
All interesting stuff.

Back