A Shift in my Fishing World

Pippen

Not sure if any of you have experienced this but thought those of like mind may be able to offer some insight to assist me in dealing with my situation.

From various family members (all from my other half's side) I used to always receive between my November birthday and Christmas, some Pacific Angler Gift cards. I think anyone who ever asked my gal what they could get me she'd say "If you want something easy that he'll use, get him these gift cards". In saying that, it was not ALL I ever received but it was always a fail safe that by time my birthday rolled by and Christmas had come and gone I'd have a few hundred dollars worth of these cards accumulated. Heck....even a couple friends who I've helped do some IT work for in their small businesses although I never asked for compensation I'd get a "thank you" gift card.

Well....to finish out 2016, something shifted and I don't know how to shift it back. I haven't seen a Pac Angler gift card since 2015 and although through about October it did not raise any flags I sit here now in the aftermath of Pippen's gift receiving season a bit stunned. I am scared to call Jay at Pac Angler to ask if by any chance he just ran out or stopped doing gift cards but I am hesitating as I am scared of hearing an answer that will make my fears all too real.

As I sit here at my desk.....I look at a stack of gift cards in the corner which likely represents $800 in value. Many would say..."that's awesome" and don't get me wrong as people have been very nice to me, but it's the "shift" in the retail segment that has my concerned. They are ALL for Harry Rosen. :confused: Now in the message my other half was trying to convey to others...I can only assume is that YES, I do wear dress clothes for work be it suits sometimes to just casual dress but it's sort of expected in my sales role in the IT world.

I asked my other half about this and upon hearing her answer I figured I should likely seek counsel before I respond to the message she has been conveying to others. I was told that "I think you could refine your look a bit". I was a bit taken aback.....my suits are nice and believe me I spend $$$ on them; shirts, ties, shoes, sweaters all come together in what I think are a nice final product on Pippen.

So as an intelligent male I said "oh, okay....this is just a bit different".

What came next floored me even more than the Harry Rosen Gift cards or being told I need to "refine my look". She said "don't you have pretty much everything you need for fishing?". :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :p That's when I had to muster all of my inner strength and contain myself.....because I love her and say "yeah, I do have a lot of stuff in my kit but they just keep making cool new stuff" and I left it at that.

Has anyone gone through this and able to offer some insight as to how I may find at the very least a balance.....I don't need the gift card scales totally tipped in my favour but restoring some balance would sure help me rest at ease.

Thank you in advance for any insight. ;):p

Last edited:
Maybe spread the word that cash is better than gift cards ??
;)

Thanks.....I thought of that. ;) It's weird though...both her family and my family don't like the idea of "cash in a card". I had enough trouble convincing my Dad in Winnipeg that gift cards were better as I could shop out here and they are easier to ship.

Don't worry Scotty just forward all the pics I send you she will understand then your tacklebox is very limited and needs to be upgraded

Don't worry Scotty just forward all the pics I send you she will understand then your tacklebox is very limited and needs to be upgraded

ZZZIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! :p

On a morbidly serious note, this is NOT the type of insight I was looking for. :p

ZZZIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! :p

On a morbidly serious note, this is NOT the type of insight I was looking for. :p
Jay at PAC angler would probably trade you a new Abel for all the harry Rosen gc. I think he shops there lol

See if you can buy an off the shelf suit without any alterations and get a refund with a minor restocking fee. Or just resign yourself to the fact that your woman is running your life, I guess. 4 years of legal battles and I finally don't have to worry about that sort of sh*t anymore. I'm sitting waiting in the Supreme Court for the Judge to approve my divorce at last. You know why divorce is so expensive?

Because it's worth it.

I don't have any problems of the top of my head but if I did I'd trade them for yours pippin. lol just kidding around.

I am sitting in a meeting in our boardroom with 20 other people that I am passively attending to make sure the people on the team are doing their jobs. I just got busted for being completely distracted because I was smirking as I was reading this thread.

As someone who gets +/- 4 Pac Angler gift cards every Birthday and every Christmas and who on December 27 bought two new reels with Pac Anglers gift cards, I would be devastated if people decided to give me clothes ... no joy whereas fishing gear is a very welcome big boy's toy.

Good luck ... I feel your pain and hope it never comes my way!

My 9 year old daughter is struggling with the same sort of issues. The clothes to toy ratio was way up for her this year and she was complaining a bit about how it sucks to get older. She seems to be handling it well though overall so I can see what advice she has to offer.

My 9 year old daughter is struggling with the same sort of issues. The clothes to toy ratio was way up for her this year and she was complaining a bit about how it sucks to get older. She seems to be handling it well though overall so I can see what advice she has to offer.

Be sure to let her know she's not alone.....we don't need to suffer in silence. :D I would welcome her insight. :p

About 20 years ago my wife was nagging me for a third set of fireplace tools but we only had two fireplaces in the house and the ones she liked were hideous..... I said no way so she bought them for me that xmas!
The next year I bought her a pair of Swarovski binoculars and we have bought our own gifts for xmas ever since......no returns and always exactly what we each wanted. We wrap and gift them to each other to see if we can guess what it is though then exchange......:)
Works for us!

Just hope that it's not the beginning of more punishments! :p
I'd setup a "Pippen's Gift Funds" and ask the regular donors to contribute by sending e-trac money transfers to your email and on return you send them a "Thank you!" Acknowledgement. ;) Try to use the technology to your own benefit. :p

To my surprise, I received cash from my in laws for my B-day this year and boy, did it feel good to buy those mooching rod and reel combos! :D

Be sure to let her know she's not alone.....we don't need to suffer in silence. :D I would welcome her insight. :p
Maybe a subscription to GQ is in the cards?

Don't most of us have too much stuff already? And I don't mean just fishing gear (that gets an exemption), I mean stuff. Trinkets, doinkers, gew gaws, bric-a-brac, yard sale stock. We're filling the oceans and rivers we love with cast-off stuff and its packaging. It's a multi-year project, but I'm slowly weaning my family away from gifting each other with stuff. They know now that gifts to me should be consumables: something I can eat, drink or do. Any item I really want, I'll buy it myself; it will be carefully researched and exactly what I want.

Maybe a subscription to GQ is in the cards?

Haha.....not a chance. I still do get a couple fishing mag subscriptions renewed as part of gifts each year. ;)

@sly_karma We are slowly going that way too as I proposed amongst immediate family this year that we sponsor a family or two. In my OP I was just laughing as the smoke from Xmas settled thinking...."where did I lose control of this?" :p Unfortunately the families are kind if far and wide...so getting a bunch on board to sponsor will be tough but I know in mt family in MB we are gonna sponsor next year.

My other half and sis/bro in law did it out here in Vancouver for a couple of years. Certainly does feel good.

Last edited:
Back