Ucluelet in July

MAR SEA

Hello,

Thinking about dragging the boat up this summer (July) and looking for advice on where to set up camp. Ideally we 'd like to find a cabin or house that's close to moorage and set up to process fish. Nice is not a requirement but clean would be nice.

FYI....we are forecasting almost 1 million fall kings to the Columbia (which many of our bios think is conservative) this year. For perspective....last year return of ~500k was the largest since we began counting in the 1940s. Match that with huge coho forecast (minus your Thompson issue), and 27 million sockeye headed to Fraser and this could very well be the best year ever off the WCVI.

Any advice is appreciate.

Good fishing.....

FYI, you can't have in your possession more than 2 days catch away from your permanent residence as well there are guidelines for packaging your fish that don't include portioning them on your own. More details on the DFO website

Good luck with your search

We don't have any "king" salmon in Canada...... .only Chinook;)

Guess if they are going to the Columbia-makes them a Yankee fish-he can call them a "king" if he wants to. Just keep sending them- A "rose by any other name is still a ......." Springs!! to mind!! LOL

Hi,

Our other company has many different rental options, we have a new cabin that will be getting listed that will will be the cheapest of all the rentals probably around the $200 a night mark and will sleep 4. In the mean time take a peek at our other options, if you have any questions let me know.

Click here to view----> http://www.naturalelementsrentals.com

Brock

Guess if they are going to the Columbia-makes them a Yankee fish-he can call them a "king" if he wants to. Just keep sending them- A "rose by any other name is still a ......." Springs!! to mind!! LOL
I have it on good authority that any king salmon instantly mutate into Chinook salmon upon enetering our 200 mile limit and then when they leave they re-mutate back into kings. :D

I spent 10 days last July in Ukie and stayed at the following place. Very nice place, will sleep 4 or 5 and great landlord. Its right in Ukie so very close to the government dock or Island West marina. Also within stumbling distance of several good restaurants and bars in Ukie.

http://www.uclueletvacationsuite.com/

check out harrisons cove lodge if ya want a treat,, they sell fuel to customers and the guides will help getting you on feesh. full fish processing without upcharge b.s.,, very nice place to relax.

I noticed you don't have shrimp in BC only prawns. ah local culture reigns ;)

hopefully they will figure out how to get all of those Chinook up and past Wanapum dam before they show up. the amount of water being released is also a giant hazard in the Hanford reach where most of them spawn. flow right now would easily wipe out any redds.

Wow.....tough croud. I'm guessing fishing will be difficult for most of you since you only keep springs. Mostly because a big chunk of the salmon passing by the WCVI will be kings headed to the Columbia.

So only two day possession even if the are processed? Regardless, just looking to enjoy what should be great fishing for all this summer. I'll look into the recommendations above. Thanks.

So only two day possession even if the are processed? Regardless, just looking to enjoy what should be great fishing for all this summer. I'll look into the recommendations above. Thanks.

Yup.....until you return fish to your place of residence you are only allowed one possession limit per person which would be 2 halibut, 8 salmon of which only 4 can be springs and you'd have to double check the ling/rockfish possession limits. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/fintable-tableaupoisson-eng.html

They key word is "possession".....and if the fish are still with you away from home they are considered "in your possession".

Fishing isn't that tough for us....we have daily and possession limits which we adhere to; at least the bulk of us do. ;)

Not discrediting you guys from the south as to where a great number of our fish caught on the WCVI are headed (thank you to your hatchery programs!!).....but there are possession limits and it continues to be an issue up here with them being broken by people on both sides of the border. I have seen some brutal evidence of it up in Kyuquot in the past and know others further south on the Island in Tofino etc have seen it locally as well.

You can have someone transport your fish home for you if they were not staying as long, but they also need to have proper documentation should they be stopped. I have never done this before so you may have to check into the exact rules on this but basically as mentioned I believe it is okay to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow.....tough croud. I'm guessing fishing will be difficult for most of you since you only keep springs. Mostly because a big chunk of the salmon passing by the WCVI will be kings headed to the Columbia.

I'm not trying to be tough on you, just to educate you. If you are caught in violation the fish cops can confiscate your fish as well as fine you and all that. That would really ruin your trip.

I'm seen it personally many times in Tofino.

Also, there is a good chance at topping off your limit with some clipped Cohos as well........2/day and 4 possession each

I think a bit further as to what FishTofino said is that nobody is trying to be tough on you but based on your comment noted above it seems you didn't realize that if fish were processed they count to your possession limit. In your original post you stated "somewhere to process" fish" which I also thought it would be worthwhile mentioning that if you can/vacuum pack or whatever....you can't go over the limit.

More of a friendly reminder/note as you are from out of Province/Country. ;)

If you are in Ukie and get checked 4-5 days into your trip you may be thankful for knowing about the possession limits! ;)

Also if you're not familiar with the packaging regulations, read them carefully -twice or three times. The regs are pretty strict in BC in that regard. Also, you can eat a good number of fish during your stay. Once they're in your belly, they're no longer in possession.

Seen this many times before and spoke with DFO Enforcement about it. Bottom line is if guys want to continue fishing after they have their 2 day possession limit they must take a break and stop fishing until the person transporting those fish to your primary residence gets them home. So if the travel time takes 2 days you will need to stop fishing for those days during transport. And they check! So taking your fish into St Jeans doesn't count.

The tough crowd comment was in regard to the geographic ribbing relative to me calling your springs our kings. I follow all the rules to the letter of the law.

Like I said really looking to enjoy the fishing and scenery. I've been to Nootka, Esperanze (sp?), and Bella Bella, and have always enjoyed the hospitality. Really looking forward to this years trip. Thanks for the advice.

The tough crowd comment was in regard to the geographic ribbing relative to me calling your springs our kings. I follow all the rules to the letter of the law.

Like I said really looking to enjoy the fishing and scenery. I've been to Nootka, Esperanze (sp?), and Bella Bella, and have always enjoyed the hospitality. Really looking forward to this years trip. Thanks for the advice.
Actually MARSEA, they are YOUR springs ;-) we are just very very fortunate to get a chance at them before they get back to the Columbia. And for that I thank you and your hatcheries. Actually I was just "yank"ing your chain about the Chinook/King nomenclature. Spring Feveri is right, call them whatever you want, they are fun to catch and delicious. ;-) have fun up here and remember....B.C. stands for "Bring Cash" ;)
(you'll need it.)

You guys north of the border have it tough.

Here in Washington in the summer when kings are 2 a day I can legally transport and possess 2 fresh limits and an additional 40# of fillets. That's 4 spring (ha ha) fresh and 40 pounds of processed frozen fillets.

I remember when Barclay sound and WCVI was 4 springs per day, and we always went home with piles of meat on a 3 day July/August trip. I also fished bBarclay when there was no retention for springs.....still had a blast.

Nowadays for me 2 a day is plenty, but that doesn't stop me from staying in bamtown for over a week.

You guys are welcome to harvest our fish and call them springs and tyee as long as you keep the west coast of the island the way it is and always has been.............. The coolest place to fish the west coast.

You guys north of the border have it tough.

Here in Washington in the summer when kings are 2 a day I can legally transport and possess 2 fresh limits and an additional 40# of fillets. That's 4 spring (ha ha) fresh and 40 pounds of processed frozen fillets.

I remember when Barclay sound and WCVI was 4 springs per day, and we always went home with piles of meat on a 3 day July/August trip. I also fished bBarclay when there was no retention for springs.....still had a blast.

Nowadays for me 2 a day is plenty, but that doesn't stop me from staying in bamtown for over a week.

You guys are welcome to harvest our fish and call them springs and tyee as long as you keep the west coast of the island the way it is and always has been.............. The coolest place to fish the west coast.
Gotta agree BV. There is little that can compare to the WCVI

Back