Looking for suggestions on Lingcod rod setup (entry-mid level)

smokedvw

Hi,

So I read through a few different posts on here around gear setup for Lingcod and it seems like there is a lot of info but also looking up the rod/reel combos some of these

I went out with a friend go fish out of Sidney off Moresby Island and he was using an Ugly Stick 6'6 and 7 one was a medium and light-medium rod and I was using a super old mooching rod and reel from the 80's. I was blown away when trying his that I could actually feel when the rockcod or greenling would bite the line, on my old setup I couldnt feel **** until I snag, or get a larger fish. Sometimes I have pulled up the rod to have a rockcod I could not even feel was on there. I really enjoyed how I could feel the nibbles with those lighter rods.

At that point I realized I would like to get more into fishing around this area (Sidney / Gulf Islands, and yes I have heard fishing is pretty crap here) but I figured taking my 3 year old out in the boat to have fun for the afternoon even if we are just jigging is still a great way to pass the time.

I also realized that I need new gear for jigging. I am looking to ideally jig for lingcod, rockfish etc off of one rod. I had thought of buying a cheap Ugly Stick combo from CT but then after reading more posts I thought it would be nice to buy something a bit better than entry level but not super expensive and ran across a few people talking about the Penn Warfare Star Drag 20 combo. This looks to be about $200.

This also seems to be a pretty good all around rod for having in the boat for jigging. My friend gave me 2 older Shimano rods for trolling and I have 1 Shimano mooching reel for it and need to get another for salmon but I think that would be in a different post.

My question comes down to does it make sense to go with the Penn and have a medium/heavy rod for jigging? I am assuming it will have way more sensitivity than what I had with the super old stiff rod I have now but not sure if will be as sensitive as the medium Ugly Stick. I also dont know if that medium Ugly Stick will hold together if I catch something larger so I thought I would reach out to the forum for advice.

My budget is ideally around $200-250 for a rod/reel. I'm also curious if I should go spinning vs baitcast etc.

It also seems like the actual gear people use is quite different going from herring, live bait, swim baits, jiggs so it seems like lots of options to try ;)

One question on snagging I do have, is there a particular way to setup your hooks to decrease this ;) haha I feel like for every fish I catch I loose a lure!

Last edited:
Go for conventional reel (level or star drag your choice) , Level wind is not needed (your choice but one more thing to go wrong), get a MH rod, use braid (65 or 80 for sensitivity feeling bites). I would look for used good gear over low end new stuff that won't last and not worth fixing. Nice combo on here for $300, (remember a 300 yard spool of braid is $ 60 or more). Put out the word on this site. You want to loose less jigs then try jigs with one assist hook on the top and avoid trebles on the bottom of the jig.

Hi,

So I read through a few different posts on here around gear setup for Lingcod and it seems like there is a lot of info but also looking up the rod/reel combos some of these

I went out with a friend go fish out of Sidney off Moresby Island and he was using an Ugly Stick 6'6 and 7 one was a medium and light-medium rod and I was using a super old mooching rod and reel from the 80's. I was blown away when trying his that I could actually feel when the rockcod or greenling would bite the line, on my old setup I couldnt feel **** until I snag, or get a larger fish. Sometimes I have pulled up the rod to have a rockcod I could not even feel was on there.

At that point I realized I would like to get more into fishing around this area (Sidney / Gulf Islands, and yes I have heard fishing is pretty crap here) but I figured taking my 3 year old out in the boat to have fun for the afternoon even if we are just jigging is still a great way to pass the time.

I also realized that I need new gear for jigging. I am looking to ideally jig for lingcod, rockfish etc off of one rod. I had thought of buying a cheap Ugly Stick combo from CT but then after reading more posts I thought it would be nice to buy something a bit better than entry level but not super expensive and ran across a few people talking about the Penn Warfare Star Drag 20 combo. This looks to be about $200.

This also seems to be a pretty good all around rod for having in the boat for jigging. My friend gave me 2 older Shimano rods for trolling and I have 1 Shimano mooching reel for it and need to get another for salmon but I think that would be in a different post.

My question comes down to does it make sense to go with the Penn and have a medium/heavy rod for jigging? I am assuming it will have way more sensitivity than what I had with the super old stiff rod I have now but not sure if will be as sensitive as the medium Ugly Stick. I also don't know if that medium Ugly Stick will hold together if I catch something larger so I thought I would reach out to the forum for advice.

My budget is ideally around $200-250 for a rod/reel. I'm also curious if I should go spinning vs baitcast etc.

It also seems like the actual gear people use is quite different going from herring, live bait, swim baits, jiggs so it seems like lots of options to try ;)

One question on snagging I do have, is there a particular way to setup your hooks to decrease this ;) haha I feel like for every fish I catch I loose a lure!
Couple Tips:
1) Short Stiff Rod. No more than 7 feet at MOST, and it Shouldn't be a fast action rod that bends in the tip not the backbone of the rod. This will GREATLY reduce effort.

2) Is this a Salmon/Ling Combo or a Hali/Ling Combo? A Salmon Ling Jigging combo will be used with about 40# braid and a 4-8oz jig, the Hali/Ling combos are better served with 80# and an 8-16oz jig. A lighter rod and jig will be WAY WAY WAY less effort. I personally can effectively jig a flagpole for about 20 minutes with a 14oz jig before my arms start to get tired. I can go 4-6 hours with my light Grappler/Tatula combo and a 6 oz swimtail.

3) Can you bump your budget a little higher? It's difficult to get a high quality reel for under 200. If you can spend 150 on a rod you'll get something higher tier. If not, I would focus most of my budget on the reel with a cheap rod($10-20 off marketplace).

4)Baitcaster vs Spincaster. Definitely no spin caster, its a lot easier to manage the drop on an open face. A spin caster will make your lure sit on the bottom for longer, which means more snags. For under 200 for the reel I would go for neither and do a conventional, reel 250+ can get you some nice Bait casters. I own a Daiwa Tatula 300 and I love it.

5) Drag Style: Do not get a star drag, unless its a high quality baitcaster. A LEVERDRAG is much much easier to work, especially if you will ever fish that rod with bait.

6) Swimtail Jigs are the best for not getting hung up. Hooks are on top of jig so even when it drops down it doesn't usually get stuck. Tip number 2, Is keep your lines straight up and down and be in a spot where the current moves you .3-0.9 knots. Never let the lure sit on bottom. You should be checking for bototm and reeling back up 2 turns every 3-5 seconds.

7) Start at the top of the hump and drift your way down. Stern into the wind, occasionally put motor in reverse to hold position.

8) Lingcod fishing is ON FIRE around Sidney. Look for cliffs and humps, fish the lee of the current. Find out when in relation to slack tide the current slacks off, find some spots and go pound em.

@FisherTim I dont mind buying used then and I could go up to $300. @Hardy Guy I will check the used section and setup a post in there. I mean I would prefer to put money towards something quality than something that I need to replace.

I would be thinking Salmon/Ling Combo vs Halibut because I dont really have a setup for Halibut and sounds complicated to get more into though I'd love to do it at some point. Not sure if you have to anchor for Hali or just float along, either way right now I would be looking for lighter jigging vs heavier.

Ok reading more on the reels looks like the lever drag would be nicer.

Last edited:
I was thinking halibut/ ling. For salmon / ling / rockfish then go medium and keep the reel small and light for prolonged jigging as FT mentioned. You reel only needs to hold 300 tp 400 yards of 50 lb for that application.

Back