TUNA

M

Monaro

Has anyone here gone ofshore for Tuna in the past. Looking for where I can get information on when they are around. I understand some of the larger outfits around Barkely are offering occasional Tuna trips but they dont give specifics.

I was always wanting to go out and fish for TUNA. Fresh tuna is probly my favorite fish to eat. A fish that tastes like meat.. I am in love!! My ol' buddy Eric Foster who used to run Bamfeild Raider Charters used to do trips for tuna. He would go 60-70 miles offshore and come home w/ sheetloads. I would think you and someone else would need reliable boats to even consider this undertaking. I would never ever consider doing this run with only one boat going. Anything can happen out there and it isn't like you would be able to flag someone down for a tow home. I dunno if there is anyone else interested in this fishery, but if there was enough interest I would consider taking a charter out there with a couple other boats or at least one other.
This one time in Ucuelete I stopped at a fish plant to get some ice and they sold me a TUNA, so I took it back to the dock with the rest of my catch of salmon. At the cleaning table I got asked where I got the tuna from so as a joke I told em big bank..lol I don't think anyone believed me though. We cooked it up on the BBQ that night and man o man it was tasty. Instantly my new favorite, almost as good as the blackend Ahi Tuna at HY'S steakhouse in Whistler. If your ever in Whistler you HAVE TO TRY IT!!! I can only describe it as the best..

Years past they were way offshore but that hasn't been the case lately.If you do a search you'll find a post from a private boater who targeted them regularly last year and he wasn't alone.

As to Chartering I've tried to motivate WCVI guides in the past but their minds are stuck on Salmon.

A Tuna charter means a lot more than just several reliable safety systems it means all kinds of ice, the right rods/reels/lures and the experience to know how to run it all.I'm leery of paying money to someone who has less experience with the fish than I do.

I've caught all kinds of Tuna (not Albies) in other countries they are easy to catch once you find them I liken their reaction to something like that of a Samoyed seeing a Squirrel.
KILL!!!!!!!!!

The Tuna boats out of Westport WA are a place to start, I was down there once and caught a bunch.

The closest I've ever heard of them off of Westport is 30 miles out. Generally, I read about them being 70 miles or so.

Does an El Nino year bring them in closer or just more of them up north?

A co-worker went out of Westport, WA on Friday. They went out 55 miles. He said it was very rough until about 11:30. They chartered the entire boat (8 guys) and caught 48 albacore.

Wow.. those boards are great for info. Reading those stories really makes me want to go catch some of these things.. 45 pounds of screaming terror that can swinm at speeds over 50 mph! Sounds like a lot of fun.

Code:
A Tuna charter means a lot more than just several reliable safety systems it means all kinds of ice, the right rods/reels/lures and the experience to know how to run it all.I'm leery of paying money to someone who has less experience with the fish than I do.

Ya but I got the boat... if others can get the gas.. lets go!!! But I won't go alone either.. I would like at least three boats to go I would think...

I have 252GT Grady Sailfish is that adequate to go off shore for the Albacores.
I have caught them before in Mexico they are reel screamers.
My buddies and I might be interested in being one of the three boats

I have Tuesdays/Wednesdays off can get others off usually.
Have Tuna trolling gear, Shimano reels/Seeker rods, all kinds of smaller Tuna lures.
Cash in hand, located in Vancouver will travel to fish no problem.
hardnosethehighway@gmail.com

Give us a call if you are ever Oregon - we whack and stack tuna like you read about down here. I am alway open to getting our brothers from the north out for some action. If I am not going out we can always get you a ride on somebody's boat. Gas money and donuts will get you on board 99% of the time.

It's damn addicting catching 20-30 fish in 5-6 hours.

Season is Jul-Oct in water 60degree or higher (typically 40-50miles off shore) This past weekend we donated 6,500lbs of albacore to the Oregon Food Banks - catch from the Oregon Tuna Classis Tourney. Top boat had 48 fish - slow day as they ususally boat 60-70 in a day. Ton of action and a 20lb Albie will make 30lb spring look like a trout in terms of fight. In my group of tuna friends the top boat for the summer has 490 tuna landed, and I am at about 100 for 6 trips. Average is about 200 fish for 10-12 trip per boat in our local club.

Sea Surface Temp and Chlorophyll are your tools for finding tuna. 60degree or better water and near zero Chlorophyll. Check out http://www.terrafin.com/sstview/free.htm for current sample SST charts (white areas are fog or cloud cover). South Vancouver Island SST charts from yesterday show ok tuna water just ouside the 100fathom line 39-45 nm from Uclulet on a 236mag heading or along the a line 45 54.00 by 125 32.500 to 48 54.00 by 125 32.500. Also some really good water out of Nootka Sound at about 39nm around the 49 13.300 by 127 28.500 area. Chlorophyll for the above areas looks really good as well. We drive toward warm water until we see blue water in prop wash and temp of 59-61degrees. We will stop and fish cooler water if we see jumpers or birds with tuna finning on the surface. Suface fish respond well to casted swimbait lures or live baits and/or trolls wide of their location where your turn will swing wide of their activity but drag your trolled baits through their school.

Troll alone temp breaks or where you see jumpers. We troll at about 6-9mph with tuna feathers, tuna clones, salmon hootchies rigged with 3/4oz egg sinker on 150-200lb 6ft leaders. You want your lures dragging the surface - the more noise and jet stream wake from the lure the bettter. You will need reels with some beef as they will smoke a salmon reel drag on the strike. Tekota 800 with 80lb powerpro and a 75-100yrd 50lb mono topshot is a good set up. Any good 5-7ft Halibut pole will get it done. Many guys go with Two-Speed Avet, Shimano, Penn, or Accurate reels but they are definately not a requirment.

We also catch big numbers on handlines - 200lb tuna cord with a strong rubber bungy tied inline for shock absorbtion. Just hook the handline to a cleat and troll away - same lures work here. When the bungee stretches tight, get on your gloves and yard them in. Doubles, triples and quad hook ups are common on both hand and pole lines, and bigger boats will hook 5-8fish at once. Very few tuna get loose or break off and when they hit the reels scream. Pure fishing in my book.

Check out the following link for handline rigging instructions: http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=213605&an=0&page=0#213605

This one for Tuna on Swimbaits:
http://www.ifish.net/forum/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1307531&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

Purchase Swimbaits:
http://home.comcast.net/~tunabites/lures.html
http://www.fishtraplures.com/

Clones and Feather:
Feathers: http://www.charkbait.com/cs/cst2a.htm
Clones: http://www.charkbait.com/cs/sevenstrand.htm

Colors: Zuchini, Mexican Flag, Jerry Garcia, Sablefish, Greens, Chartrusesw/greens or reds.

Sizes: 6-8inch Clone and Feathers with upto 2.5oz heads.
5-6inch Salmon Hoochies with 3/4 to 1oz egg sinkers heads

Tons of Good Tuna Talk and info can be found at http://www.ifish.net/forum/postlist.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB21

Shoot me an email if any of you are interested in coming to Oregon this month and whacking some tuna - we will find rides for all salty anglers with gas money and a sense of adventure.

We'll provide all the tackle, bait and lures.

5-Salt Fever
Calvin Harmon
charmon@m2tranport.com

60 miles out, 60 miles back, trolling for 6?? hours, im guessing 550~$ in gas on my boat

PS: Chartruse w/green 5-6inche hoochie rigged with 3/4oz sinker inside the head on 200lb leader and a double barbless tuna hook has been the hot lure for westcoast ablies this season.

It netted me 5th-place out of 48 boats this past weekend's Oregon Tuna classic and that's out of a small boat - first thru forth place were fishing 30-35ft boats running 70miles offshore. I am limited to 45-50miles in my 25ft'r.

Total cost to rig is about $2-3 each - sure beats $8-10 each for a clone or feather. Mexican Flag, and Salmon greens with red streak work pretty good in salmon hoochies as well. I can post pictures if anyone is interested.

Once you go tuna you wonder why you ever Salmon fished in July and August.

quote:Originally posted by nedarb2

60 miles out, 60 miles back, trolling for 6?? hours, im guessing 550~$ in gas on my boat

Yep. Might be cheaper to plan quick weekend get-away to Oregon and give it a try before jumping in head first.

Let us know if you are coming - we will get you out on somebody's boat. Most of the fleet run 25-30ft Grady's, Strippers, Seasports, Cabo, Whaler, and other salty/safe hulls. This would be fishing with private anglers from our club who are saftey nuts and know tuna.

tuna can be found 16 miles off the island and out farther. you need double tuna hooks, other hooks WILL break before the line, and big reels with stong lb fishing test are a must. make sure you have lots of line or they will spool you.

Do they travel with the blue sharks? If so my buddy was catching blue's about 20 miles off tofino on a dogfish shark longline boat. I saw one swim by my boat too out around 16 miles out, it was about 7 feet long and its back was dark blue. Have you gone out for them before mongoose?

OK! That generated a lot more information and excitement then I had anticipated. Fantastic responses, thank you all for your posts.

I am now of two minds.

Salt-Fever, I would be very interested in coming down and learning how it is done, we will have to talk more about best times and convenience for you. How many people do you usually go out with? Is it too late to plan a trip for this year? It sounds like we could easily put together a group of eager tuna seekers just from the guys on this board.

I am also very interested in getting a group of boats together to go out from here. There is nothing like taking your boat and catching them on your gear.

To those who posted interest in taking their own boats and those that would be interested in making up part of a crew, lets plan for next summer, I am not sure we will be able to pull it together soon enough to take advantage of this season. We can use this thread as a place to post additional information and bring our plans together. You can start by counting me in. I will make any date available for a trip like this and I am able to leave from any port on the west coast

If i'm not mistaken you can catch these fish close to mexico. We should go down there and practice..lol.

Last year, one of Murphy's guides in Ucluelet was saying that Albacore were being caught commercially within 10 miles of the northern tip of Van Isle (at one point anyway). He'd been out 60 miles a few times from Ukee (hunting Tuna) and said that they had run over Blue sharks several times. Just a big thud and then lots of red mist behind the boat as the twin outboards did their worst.

Back