Tuna Talk

Have pity on the under-privledged mainlanders... which shop are you guys refering to?

Pacific Net and Twine in Parksville. They have a ton of Xrap Mag 20's with more on the way! The whole tuna section is really growing nicely. It has at least tripled in size since last year. Lot's of single lures and smaller packs of hooks etc. Some pre rigged lures as well.

I made the mistake of running up there yesterday afternoon :p. My wallet was a lot lighter on the way out.........again:rolleyes:.

I picked up some larger 8" zukers with a flat head on them in zuccini color, two xrap mag 20's, another shimano organizer, and two Accurate Boss Fury 600 single speeds loaded up with yellow 65# powerpro slick braid. Ouch..... that trip hurt. Now I just have to decide on a couple of rods to stick em on:).

Last edited by a moderator:
... and two Accurate Boss Fury 600 single speeds loaded up with yellow 65# powerpro slick braid. Ouch.....

You planning on using these for double duty John? I just put my Avet JX's on Shimano Trevala jigging rods. Don't let its lean physique fool you, that rod has tons of power. Pretty good bang for buck.

You planning on using these for double duty John? I just put my Avet JX's on Shimano Trevala jigging rods. Don't let its lean physique fool you, that rod has tons of power. Pretty good bang for buck.

I have looked at them in the store and did some bend demos with them and I was impressed. Did you troll with yours last year? if so how did they work out?

I was thinking of a couple of 7' Calstar West Coast classics. Old school tuff rods at a decent price.

I have looked at them in the store and did some bend demos with them and I was impressed. Did you troll with yours last year? if so how did they work out?

I was thinking of a couple of 7' Calstar West Coast classics. Old school tuff rods at a decent price.

Havent trolled with them yet, I had one set up for Jigging tuna on a stop last year but never got the opportunity to lay into one. I am going to try a pair on the troll this year though, they are light which is a big benefit, but you might be after something a little longer.

Well guys, just over a month away from Birdsnest's first kill last season. Who's it going to be this year and when? Terrafin is reporting canyon temps in the mid 50's...

Who's got the balls for June Tuna? ;)

Well guys, just over a month away from Birdsnest's first kill last season. Who's it going to be this year and when? Terrafin is reporting canyon temps in the mid 50's...

Who's got the balls for June Tuna? ;)

If'n the seas are calm, I might take a try at it in June. It's not really a fair game if I do as I'm a bit father south (out of Neah Bay). One thing I know for sure is that I already have tuna on the brain and I'm already looking at Terafin several times a week. Things are looking OK in S. Oregon already.

Dang you guys! I had forgotten about it for a while. Ahhh, its time to start really watching for it anyways. Thanks for the heads up.

I'mm pushing for a june tuna this year, You bet!

I've been peeking a bit at Terrafin. I will be tying up tackle all summer at Salmon Beach. I will be set up to maintain and have the boat ready to go at a moments notice. I leave her up there all summer.

I went to LaPush for the first time last year. Excellent marina and a credit card self serve all hours fuel dock! ( $12 per nite any size boat! water, power, the works ) Boat fuel was $4.35/gal last year, so about $1.13/ litre
Ice was cheap, nice resort a block away, groceries/liquor/license in Forks 14 miles away. I was allowed to park truck/camper in marina lot and camped for free! - 20' from the gangway to the dock. US Coast Guard station is also there, AND their VHF tower is over 500' tall on top of a knoll ( google 'Rescue 21' ). They can receive signals from 80 miles out
The marina is in the estuary of the Quileutte river so no way to have live bait. Other than that... I thought it was ideal

That's sounds like a great marina Terry. Definitely worth a peak!

I went to LaPush for the first time last year. Excellent marina and a credit card self serve all hours fuel dock! ( $12 per nite any size boat! water, power, the works ) Boat fuel was $4.35/gal last year, so about $1.13/ litre
Ice was cheap, nice resort a block away, groceries/liquor/license in Forks 14 miles away. I was allowed to park truck/camper in marina lot and camped for free! - 20' from the gangway to the dock. US Coast Guard station is also there, AND their VHF tower is over 500' tall on top of a knoll ( google 'Rescue 21' ). They can receive signals from 80 miles out
The marina is in the estuary of the Quileutte river so no way to have live bait. Other than that... I thought it was ideal

Great report on the marina Terry. I really enjoyed your adventure last year out of there. I love adventures. I would really like to tow my gal down there and give the live bait thing a whirl. I guess another port is the place to go for live bait. LaPush sounds awesome but I want to try the live thing out.

I found this quote the other day that I thought all the tuna addicts would enjoy......

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure" - Chris McCandless

Ya, great report. Certainly some attractive features to that location. I am interested. You got my attention.

Thanks for the info on LaPush. sounds like a great spot!

Hey John, why tow? I say we run from Bamfield to JDF canyon and fish the day, then run to Westport and fish livies for a couple days, hit JDF on the way back. Seems to me that canyon is about equal distance from Bamfield and Westport. But how do we get all the fish home??

Now that's an adventure...

Get someone to drive down and meet you with a truck.