Tuna - now is the time!

5-Salt Fever

I should have post this a week ago but I got tripped up attempting post SST and Chlorophyll shots for southern WCVI.

Anyway...now is the time for you lads to chase tuna….. before this week’s north winds blow the warm water too far offshore for sport boats to reach.

Tuna like 58 degree water and 60deg even more. In our waters that temp line is where clean/sterile water (low Chlorophyll) - the blue water. You will know it when you drive into it as your prop wash will be decidedly, cleaner and blue….not at all the green/gray with which we are extremely familiar.

Right now that water, 58-60deg and low chloro can be found along the 100ftm line straight out from Barkley Sound 35-44miles.

If you have the fuel and the proper safety gear, head out with bunch of tuna clones or chartreuse hoochies rigged with 3/4oz egg sinkers in the head of the hoochie and double tuna hooks on 100-200lb leader 6ft long. Bring your heavier reels (penns, shimano Tekota 800's, TLD's or other similar drag sized reel) troll about 5-7mph with everything out 75-100 ft back. Set the clinkers on and wait. Look for birds, floatsam, kelp patties, a single log,...anything for smaller bait to hang around. Sound scrazy but we have pulled 15-20 tuna trolling circles around a 4x4ft sheet of ply wood. If you see jumpers or tuna finning on the surface while running, slow up 100-200 yard away and get your gear in the water.

If no luck trolling jumpers - try motoring up and cutting engine about 75-100yrd away so you will drift into them while tossing 3-5oz silver jigs, or swim baits - Crippled Hearing jigs work very nicely.

If no jumpers, keep driving out until you hit 59-60deg water and begin trolling.

Hunt in teams and spread out a 1-2 miles of each other and call the others in to the bite. Singles, doubles or triples do not qualify as a bite until your get those every time you troll back through your last strike area.

We can talk about proper handling, ice procedures, and cleaning if somebody posts they are heading out.

Check the below links for latest SST charts:

Free:
http://coastwatch.pfel.noaa.gov/cwbrowse/cwatch-web/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?region=wn
http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/coastwatch/CWBrowser.jsp
http://www.osdpd.noaa.gov/PSB/EPS/SST/data/washngtn.c.gif
https://www.navo.navy.mil/cgi-bin/graphic.pl/metoc/380/19/0-0-5/0

Not Free – but very easy and complete with good details and Chloro charts
http://www.terrafin.com/sstview/index.htm

I gotta say something here.

90 views and only one reply!?!

I have pretty much layed it out here and as well as other subjects in the past. I have offer to take BC boys Tuna fishing on my boat in Oregon for those interested and can make the journey.

It is a yank thing? Or do you boys just don't like outsiders???

Where I from, a guy gives away the goods - rookies and experts alike are quick to aknowledge so the information keep flowing. From what I can see you have a great site but you sometime forget what drives these things, what makes them great - people help people help eachother to enjoy life more this year than last.

Unbelievable! fck-it

Chill 5-Salt, I'll go with you... but I live in Oregon just like you. My guess is that these guys haven't gotten the fever yet. TUNA! to us is like a 20 spring day to them. Once these guys and gals get a taste of the total frenzy a TUNA! trip can be, they will understand.

By the way, great posts on how we do it down here. Your diver rigging posts are right on the money.

Take care, and go get some TUNA!

caddis (LOL on the local board)

Uh maybe because most guys on here are Salomon fisherman,,,
quote:It is a yank thing? Or do you boys just don't like outsiders???
Yah I would say so,,, a yank talks and thinks everyone should jump....

quote:Originally posted by walleyes

Uh maybe because most guys on here are Salomon fisherman,,,
quote:It is a yank thing? Or do you boys just don't like outsiders???
Yah I would say so,,, a yank talks and thinks everyone should jump....

Jump?!?...you must be confusing me with the 250million american dinks who don't fish. Those who don't get it how much money one can waste chasing fish; who don't get hard it is grow and learn without the help of others.

We share with each other because of common bond and understanding that superceeds cultural or political boundries. That is why I come to learn from the experts in BC and why I post in return. We all fish for the same salmon whether with art of a center pin or efficiency of a baitcaster. Regardless how big or small your budget is, the best anglers are always held in highest regard....unless they are absolute shtheels.

And yes this tuna thing is but a fleeting fishiery for many without the hull or gear to pursue. But this was also the case in Washington and Oregon until about 12years ago until one guy (Pilar as he is known) set out to drive west 40miles form Newport OR. in a 19ft boat to find the fish. The idea was, why fish for two fish per outing when you can catch 40...provided you have enough ice and cooler space to bring them home. That and about 98% of my posts are salmon/local related.

Sure we yanks talk big....that's just to compensate for our small johnsons and ugly chitlins. At the end of the day we are here to help eachother have a better season than the last. My frustration centers not on the myth that many don't like yanks but, that so few seem to get the point of helping their fellow man have a better/safer day on the water.

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau.

"Fishing is... a discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish" - Unknown to me.

DOWN BOYS. 5-Salt has given a basic how-to on the Tuna fishery and got ROASTED over it, I think he has given much more then a lot of guys would share with anyone here.

I'd love to head offshore, but not by myself in a single engine rig, and most other guys with canyon capable boats are guides and are just too busy to commit to a day of prep and a day of running to try it this time of year.

5-Salt, hats off to you, I wish I could make it down your way, I'd love to run out and wack a few albies. I guess my fly-rod Coho gear is probably out of the question, but I'd bring my Senator 9/0's, and they do NOT have backing, they are solid Tuff-Line to the core, I'd love to have a big'un try to spool me.

On another note, thanks to one of the links 5-salt gave us (Coast Watch Browser), it looks like you have a long stream of 62 degree water between Flattery and Aluva, not too far out at all. Well within range of Neah or LaPush.

5Salt, what is your experience fishing the warm pockets closer in?

I am one of those 90 views of this thread.
I have followed it with keen interest.
Thank you very much for the open invitation.
Alas commitments keep me close to home.
I have been reading many posts of Tuna fishing on this and other boards.
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I will Tuna fish one day when it becomes possible.
I might even get some because of you.

You, your family and friends are welcome in my Canada any day.

GLG

5-Salt always enjoy your insight and willingness to help other anglers. One day mabye I will get the chance to fish for some tuna with you I have always wanted to do it but my boat / gear are not suited.

As for reads of posts were like any other fishing site which have many lurkers as you don't need to be a member to read threads only to post on them. There are also many people that enjoy reading about different fishing styles but just don't post.

Cheers ME

quote:Originally posted by 5-Salt Fever

I gotta say something here.

90 views and only one reply!?!

I have pretty much layed it out here and as well as other subjects in the past. I have offer to take BC boys Tuna fishing on my boat in Oregon for those interested and can make the journey.

It is a yank thing? Or do you boys just don't like outsiders???

Where I from, a guy gives away the goods - rookies and experts alike are quick to aknowledge so the information keep flowing. From what I can see you have a great site but you sometime forget what drives these things, what makes them great - people help people help eachother to enjoy life more this year than last.

Unbelievable! fck-it

5-Salt,

I think the 90 posts and few responses has more to do with where the majority of us frozen northerers live. Unfortunately many of us in the great white north live in the lower mainland and can only dream of the adventure of a tuna trip on the west coast. I know I just expereinced a great tuna adventure vicariously by reading through your points here and they were appreciated. If I ever get the chance to do any tuna chasing off the west coast, your information will come in very handy.

Don't worry about the "yank" thing, we're a pretty accepting bunch up here and have even been known to offer advice to a yank or two when they come up here for some of our salmon fishing :D SOme of it might even be helpful [:0]

Keep posting this stuff, Its great and we appreciate it.

Cheers

thanks gents for the kind words.

Short notice I know but, the warm water will move back in later in the summer.

The deal is to plan it slowly and completly. We got it down to a science in my area and we can provide just about any detail you need to know....any detail. Get started now, so next time warm water moves in close you can pull the trigger. Maybe not until next year but start now and you will be ready before you know it.

STT and Chloro monitoring:
How do I find them?
First and Foremost is STT and Chloro monitoring - which by the way will make you a better salmon hunter in open water as well. Structure, temp, krill/others feeding the bait, the bait, and timing are important regardless of species. STT/Chloro's monitoring gives you everything but the structure location.

Chlorophyll feeds krill and the other small organisms that feed bait. Find Chloro and you find fish but tuna like the edge of chloro rich waters...eye sight thing with cleaner water? I am not sure but they have those huge eyes to see with rather than smell like a salmon. Find 60deg temp breaks/regions with low chloro water and you have a good idea of where to start.

Problem is the free sites have macro coverage, we need micro view. The paysite site is exellent but US$ 99 is a lot of coin for someone to invest on a, maybe-possibly-might try fishing gig. Worth it if you use for salmon as well but, your will dictate.

Next is rod/reel.
Good halibut setups work perfect for trolling and ok for flipping jigs/swim baits. Good halibut rods with a reel you cast with, even better. By cast I don't mean steelhead acurracy and finess - just flop it out there 10-40m. Trolling requires better better drag strength and endurance. Casting work nicely with decent bait casters like the Newell, Shimano Toriums, Tekotas, and some of the higher ends like Avet and Accurate reels wil cast like no other and have the drag HP to land marlin. Jig caught fish fight shorter and closer to the boat so big house power drag is not required - although they will make a 30lb spring fight feel like a trout in comparision. 7ft halibut rod with lighter casting reel is perfect. Lot of guys over time aquire 4-6 trolling set ups and 3-4 cast rod/reel set ups.

7ft hailbut rod with any reel capable of landing halibut is perfect as well. Trolling requires more drag strength because they hit like a ton of bricks when moving at 6-7mphs and will make the reel clickers screem. These fish can swim at 40mph for extended periods - much more so than comparable salmon. We like to run the drag somewhat firm for strikes and then tighten in down until line no longer or slowly peels while continue to troll. This keeps the school from following the lead fish away from your spread and gives you the 4-5-6-7-8 hooks up in one setting. Many single have blossomed in 4-8's using this little trick - but you need stouter drag to handle. Nothing exotic or expensive, just halibut class in good service and repair.

Finally, Handlines work amazing well and can be built for about $10-15 each. 200lb tuna cord, a larger rubber bungee, a coatal lock swivel and you favorite beer in front of the TV is all you need - see for instructions, Part 1: http://www.ifish.net/Pilar/Tuna Gearandhandlines.html then, Part 2: http://www.ifish.net/Pilar/handlines.html

Handlines attach to cleats or what ever and are trolled back in your spread...some guy only troll handlines. Handlines are good for meat, but I prefer line caught for the sport. I typically troll 2-3 hand lines in close with line lure over the top about 10-20feet behind the handlines for the preditor chasing bait thing these tuna go nuts for. Small lures in front being chased by bigger lures just behind. That's four straight off the corners, then one more out each side set back another 20-50ft and one down the center in short or way long. I don't like the long as the lead fish in the school will hit it and turn away taking the school away from the rest of your spread. In short it goes off with all the others and you are hooked up proper and ready to go.

Handlines come is last as 50-100ft of tuna cord and 3-4 rapidly flopping tuna will knit a sweater for you quicker than you can say shoot. Most like to leaf handline into empty five gallon bucket - I like to just lay mine flat in the corner and keep the fish away from them so I can quickly get them back out. Just let the handlines lay flat and do not pick in part but the leader to get it back into the water and let the current spool the cord thru you hand.

What they eat:

A new study is currently underway by Scripps Institute, but an older study **before sardines came back** of albacore feeding habits shows they consume at least 66 different prey items, allowing them to thrive under changing feeding conditions.

The top 5 were:
SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
1. anchovy
2. saury
3. juvenile rockfish
4. squid
5. tuna crab
NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
1. squid
2, juvenile rockfish
3. krill
4. saury
5. anchovy
OREGON/WASHINGTON
1. mid-water shrimp
2, anchovy
3. squid
4. blue lanternfish
5. saury
6. Sardines or Pilchard
7...and this week, 8-10in Hake and Mackrel

What ever is available on the edge of clean/dirty water

Good STT Detail: 19Aug Shot from 2001 (Sweeetttt Temps Break)

Notice Lat/lons and detail - a lot easier to sort it out with this view from Pay site.

Also with pay site you click origin buttom - click spot on shore then move your cursor to spot you like and at the bottom of the browser window your lat/lons, distance and heading are displayed and update instantly as you move the mouse to new position. Clear origin to start over....that is why it's worth the annual subscription price for me.

wanonew.jpg

Good Chlorophyll from yesterday:

Edge of Blue water is tuna - red water is salmon Remember, more chloro, more feed those little things bait fish eat.

wanonewChloro.jpg

Thanks for the informative post 5-Salt. I would love to fish tuna but just don't have the boat that is up to going that far offshore (or maybe I'm just not up to it). I agree with you that helping eachother acquire more knowledge about fishing is what it is all about. Don't feel that the lack of responses is due to a "Yank thing", I like reading good posts from wherever, and as you know by now, we also have our fair share of jerks up here as well.

Hey 5-Salt, keep it up, as a Newbie I really appreciate your posts! Striper Sniper

I spent last weekend visiting clients of the KoneZone along the Southern Oregon coast. Lot's of limits of Silver's = Coho, a few Kings = Chinook and piles and piles of TUNA = TUNA, I have no idea what you guys call a Tuna.:D They are there if you put in the effort. Mind you on even the smoothest days the effort can be considerable. As far as the pissing contest between the Yanks and our friends to the north. Mine might not be the biggest or the brightest but it is still a DANDY with real potential!:D

No it wasn't,, he actually did call for it rite to the point that he even used profanity when no one replied to his post,,, so in my books my smart a## remark was called for...

But this was in no way a remark to all our U.S. neighbors of which I know many and have respect for,, and most like all races of people are good people... So to the rest of our U.S. freinds please don't take my comment as a remark to you personally,, its just when someone waves a flag and says he's being treated unfairly because of it I get a little hot under the collar...

Hey Walleyes, I am French Canadian and you would not believe the crap I have taken over the years as a result, in my own Country... I don't think that you were trying to go somewheres that you really didn't want to go. I bought my boat in Oregon and it still has the OR in the registration number, you want to fish off of Kirby to find out what it feels like to be an American....... Striper Sniper

No it wasn't,, he actually did call for it rite to the point that he even used profanity when no one replied to his post,,, so in my books my smart a## remark was called for...

Ok...must admit I didn't read the end of the post...I tend to get bored after the first couple lines;)

But this was in no way a remark to all our U.S. neighbors of which I know many and have respect for,, and most like all races of people are good people... So to the rest of our U.S. freinds please don't take my comment as a remark to you personally,, its just when someone waves a flag and says he's being treated unfairly because of it I get a little hot under the collar...

Well we are even on profanity, I understand your getting hot.

I not sure how that my question construed as flag waving nor was is statement about fair treatment. Simple question of one, or the other.

To a larger issue - 90% of what is written can and is taken out of context. That combined with a little blood boil makes for posts that get flamed. I am as guilty as anyone and I know Walleye's quick keyboard doesn't deserve the back lash I layed down.

We are all brothers here - let's fish!

Back