Tuna Talk

Some items for sale:
lot 1, 8-5 inch $40
IMG_1429_zpsc3ebf9b2.jpg

Lot 2, 7 inch $20 for all 5
IMG_1432_zps1c5cfd26.jpg

And these are just some other new goodies I acquired.
IMG_1431_zps8c825714.jpg

While taking some courses I talked with a commie tuna guy who said not surprisingly voltage was crucial.. Lol. Claimed he worked on a top boat and the skipper was very serious about it.

I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage. Just trying to talk myself down on this one. So, ah... what can be done about voltage. I run a tin boat! Am I doomed to high voltage? lololol

I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I am not obsessing over voltage.I will not be obsessive about voltage. Just trying to talk myself down on this one. So, ah... what can be done about voltage. I run a tin boat! Am I doomed to high voltage? lololol

You went out solo, had a broken radio and limited out if I remember correctly....... don't change anything! lol

Just a couple points that may be of interest.
It’s the little things that count when rigging, for proper running cedar plugs, take a 3 ft length of mono and tie one end off to your work bench, than run the mono through the cedar plug and grasp the other end of the mono so the plug is horizontally level and spin the plug. When it stops spinning place a mark with a felt marker at the top center of the rear end of the plug (hook end). Repeat the spinning a couple more times to verify the mark ,as this will establish the keel location of the cedar plug than line your needle eye hook tip with the center mark and you now have a true running cedar plug.
Another point of interest is that the majority of cedar plugs on the market are offshore imports not made with real cedar, the firms that produce plugs from American Red Cedar are Sea Striker and Got – Cha lures as the Red Cedar is very porous and I personally soak my naked cedar plugs in anchovy scent and believe it is beneficial.

I just got back from a whirl wind trip to the Seattle boat show. FB and I stayed at goatram's place and checked out his 30' aluminum battle wagon. He likes building things that's for sure. We checked out a few of his homemade goodies that he uses for tuna fishing off Washington.

Here is a shot of his bleeder box. It is just a garbage can with a homemade aluminum spray bar mounted near the top. He just hooks it up to his wash down pump. He cut holes near the bottom to spill out the blood etc. The spray bar keeps a continuous spray of water on the fish that will start cooling them while cleaning them before putting them in slush.

IMG_3905_zps7f461ed6.jpg

IMG_3906_zps776c8136.jpg

These Washington guy's like to moor at Westport for the tuna season. They have spots reserved at the dock. If they can they sometimes keep bait ready and leave them in the water tied to the dock. To do this you need a dock bait tank. Here are some shots of goatram's homemade one.

IMG_3908_zps1aab426c.jpg

IMG_3907_zps433b458c.jpg

He built a poorman's single scoop bait tank that he use's on his old boat the Tin Lizzy. He just puts it out on the swim deck and hooks it up to a pump. He built it for like 40 bucks.

IMG_3909_zpsbef03eb2.jpg

IMG_3911_zps992781fe.jpg

IMG_3912_zpsf1a14eda.jpg

IMG_3913_zpsbb23a0b0.jpg

Anyways I thought I would post these up so folks could get some idea's and what have you.

I picked up some cool tuna tackle while down there and will post it up soon. It's been a long weekend I need some sleep lol.

Cheers,
John

Here are some of the goodies I picked up.

IMG_3925_zpse55173f3.jpg

IMG_3926_zpsb486a868.jpg

Jet heads.

IMG_3930_zps3edc0d33.jpg

Smaller shovel heads.

IMG_3933_zpse3a8482a.jpg

A plug.

IMG_3936_zpsbd9453b9.jpg

And some Xrap 30's.

IMG_3938_zps41bec3bf.jpg

The orange thing is like a tuna flasher. It's somewhat like the idea of the Pakula witchdoctor exciter. http://www.pakula.com.au/index.php/witchdoctor-exciter.

I think it will be worth a try to raise fish up to the surface. I will run it with out a lure to see if it will raise fish. Once on them I will probably pull it into the boat.

(click the photo for the video).

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_3936_zpsbd9453b9.jpg

Where did you get that?

Is it a Williamson?

I have one similar (by Williamson) never used it here but it slays Tuna in the South Pacific leaves a huge trail of bubbles been looking for another but Williamson doesn't make them any more.

Run it waythehellback in another area code.

Nice to see I'm no the only one with a problem. Nice post sculpin.

Hey Sculpin, sorry I missed you guys while you were south of the border. I went to the shows on Friday with goatram, so it was time to kill some salmon on Saturday, which we did.......a 15,13,and 2- 8 pounders in the San Juans.

Goatrams homemade bait and bleed barrels definately served their purpose. I went with him on the tin lizzy a few times and was impressed with how well they worked, especially the bleed barrel.

I'm slowly gaining momentum and gathering some great stuff to be donated to the tuna shootout. Good to see you guys gearing up for the main event. Remember, those with the most tackle are usually those with the best tackle, so make sure you get a few of each lure, cause just like salmon fishing, there's always a few lures that work better than others.

What you need John is a warm-up session just prior to the shootout and I have an idea that will do just that. You and your Tofino buddy need to come down here for a 1 day shot on a tuna charter boat....$350 for a day trip out of ilwaco on a 56 foot 18' beam party boat that takes 10 guests per trip. They carry 10 scoops of bait and when they find fish it's game on feeding frenzy with most every rod hooked up. Last year we loaded the boat with 147 before noon. This year I have the same date (mid sept.) and I reserved the whole boat and I have a few spots unclaimed if you're interested.

You got my number John, so mull it over. We'd love to have a few BC boys on the trip to show us all how it's done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, those with the most tackle win nothing, but those with the best tackle win it all, so make sure you get a few of each lure, cause just like salmon fishing, there's always a few lures that work better than others.

I am glad you said this cuz I have been hording tuna lures more like 10 of each. Makes me nervous when I hear about guys that only use one thing, BLACK???? Needless to say I now have black in my quiver.

I am glad you said this cuz I have been hording tuna lures more like 10 of each. Makes me nervous when I hear about guys that only use one thing, BLACK???? Needless to say I now have black in my quiver.

HAHAHA, you quoted me before I could edit that line....I changed the wording to .......those with the most tackle are usually those with the best tackle...........more apropriate.

Where did you get that?

Is it a Williamson?

I have one similar (by Williamson) never used it here but it slays Tuna in the South Pacific leaves a huge trail of bubbles been looking for another but Williamson doesn't make them any more.

Run it waythehellback in another area code.

It is a Williamson. It was the last one at Holiday Sports. Probably old stock. I got a major discount on that flasher thing because it had been sitting on the shelf for years apparently and I was the only sucker that came along and bought it lol.

Ted, I'll call you soon!!!

The orange thing is like a tuna flasher. It's somewhat like the idea of the Pakula witchdoctor exciter.
I think it will be worth a try to raise fish up to the surface. I will run it with out a lure to see if it will raise fish. Once on them I will probably pull it into the boat.

Have you or anyone else tried running the teaser instead of a lead ball on an electric downrigger ? I did a search and couldn't find any mention of doing that. I would think that would make a decent automatic teaser reel so you could just hit a button and get the teaser(s) out of the way..

Have you or anyone else tried running the teaser instead of a lead ball on an electric downrigger ? I did a search and couldn't find any mention of doing that. I would think that would make a decent automatic teaser reel so you could just hit a button and get the teaser(s) out of the way..

That is something I may just try with this particular unit. Thanks.