Trout on Elk Lake.

R

RVN10

Hey, I am usually a saltwater fisher, but i am now taking an interest in lakes aswell, Elk Lake is where i do my lake fishing, and i was wondering what its like out there now, i understand it has been stocked with trout recently, and what i dont know, is the best way to catch these trout. I fish from a Float Tube, and wish to use my fly outfit for these trout. Any tips and information you could give would be greatly appreciated.

-Todd

Hi there RVN10:

Elk Lake is a great lake to fish with some very nice rainbows in excess of 5 lbs. For flies, the usual woolybuggers (black or olive), small damsels (in olive or a lighter green earlier in the year) and leetches with or without beadheads (in black, olive or marroon) will produce strikes.

If you're inclined to use bait, try some pink, orange or chartreuse power eggs. They all work well, you just need to find the flavour of the day.

Good luck,
'hawk

Seafood, it eat, then catch more.

hey thanks alot, on the highway side, how far off shore do i need to be? unlike bass fishing in the summer i dont think trout are to close to shore, correct me if im wrong, and im guessing i fish those flies close to the bottom?

Hey RVN:

Actually you don't have to be very far from shore at all. Outta casting range is a good idea though, as a few people do fish along the wall and in a hole in the trees, closer to the rowing club. With success, I might add.

You might want to take a look at this site and do a search on Elk Lake. If you do this right, you will be able to get the lakes' depth map. http://www.fishwizard.com/

Don't count out the back side of the lake either, there are good spots anywhere near the fishing wharf.

Went out to Elk Lake yesterday afternoon and did quite well. 4 fish over 3 lbs and a smaller one with numerous lost. Lake was like glass until about 4:00pm when the wind started to come up. The fish are very nice right now, bright silver and as firm as can be.

Yes I noticed it was nice out the when i drove by at 1 pm also saw about 10 different people out in belly boats,jon boat and only one car topper. looked like fun

Wolf

Hey i got some power eggs but im wondering how you fish them, any tips on how to rig them and what techniques to use would be great.

Thanks

Fishawk

Were you using flies or bait? Things are very slow at Langford lately I don't mind the drive to get some fish.

Thanks.

Yote,

I was using power eggs, pink, chartreuse and orange are good choices, fished right on the bottom with about 2-4 feet of leader under egg sinkers. I do fish flies too, but usually wait until the weather warms a little first.

My fishing partner, that day, pumped his fish when he got home and found it full of chronies, 2/3 were a very light shade of green and the rest were blood worms. All about 3/4" to 1" long, so tie them fairly large. Needless to say, he began tying a bunch up to try last weekend but evidently the wind kept them off that lake and they headed for Durrance instead. Very little action there, but it was fishable (outta the wind).

Thanks Hawk. I'll head out there this weekend for a bit and give Langford a break, if the weather doesn't snot out again. I like the idea of blood worms but also like fishing off the bottom with power bait. C-U there somethime.

i will be out this weekend in my float tube doing a lot of experimenting, seeing what works maybe see you guys there.

Back