Trophy QR XL drag question

N2013

Gave my reel some TLC a while back and had it all apart. Now it seems the drag system is extra sensitive. More so than already. What is the correct way to put this reel back together? Lightly screw on drag knob, then tighten screw? Do others have the same issues with these reels being very touchy? Can't find any help online.

I put new islander springs in both my trophy qr xl's and it made the drag a heck of a lot better, for $10 it's well worth it, make sure your cork is oiled also. I found the original springs too sensitive with very little play whatsoever between too tight and not tight enough.

I put new islander springs in both my trophy qr xl's and it made the drag a heck of a lot better, for $10 it's well worth it, make sure your cork is oiled also. I found the original springs too sensitive with very little play whatsoever between too tight and not tight enough.
Where abouts can I grab islander springs from? never been a fan of the drag on my trophy

I got mine at highwater tackle in north van, but anyone who sells and services islanders should have them or be able to get them for you. or you could order them directly from islander. I used the springs from the mr2 and am not sure if the mr3's are a different size or not but i the mr2 springs work for sure.

Where abouts can I grab islander springs from? never been a fan of the drag on my trophy

I have done the same with mine and it's MUCH better.

I got mine at Pac Angler but as previously mentioned, check any tackle shop that sells Islanders.

I also don't tighten the screw on the drag knob all the way.....I back it off a bit and it works great now.

Question to @N2013 .....just to be sure and it will make a slight difference, do you have the washers in correctly? I actually called the company who does Trophy (www.redlsports.com) and got replacement washers to add in. Not sure what vintage yours are but in mine which were the early models with the small handles, some didn't have proper washers in them or something to that effect.

i have one MR3, and one QR4.5. For the first year the QR drag was really pissing me off. But after time it has "broke in" and now i prefer it to the MR3.

Back