Daiwa Drag Knob & Grease Question

Baxter

SO I received my new carbon drag washers. Easy install! Nice. But now I have two questions.

The first is, Grease or no grease? I have heard mixed reviews on this one, some say with Carbon you do not need to grease. What is everyone using? (Also, does it really matter what grease to use? I have some grease I used on my sons scooter bearings (don't have it in front of me to say what it was) but does it really matter much, or do you need grease specific to fishing reels?

Second question is: after I replaced the washers in the Daiwa, I was unable to reattach the drag knob. It just wont go back on. spins and clicks. If I take the knob apart, I can get the nut to thread on no problem, but for some reason I just can't get it to catch when assembled.

Almost feel like just tossing this thing in the trash can and giving up. very frustrating.

EDIT: I finally got the knob to bite and was able to tighten it up. Not sure what that was so difficult, poor design maybe, I dunno.

Last edited:
SO I received my new carbon drag washers. Easy install! Nice. But now I have two questions.

The first is, Grease or no grease? I have heard mixed reviews on this one, some say with Carbon you do not need to grease. What is everyone using? (Also, does it really matter what grease to use? I have some grease I used on my sons scooter bearings (don't have it in front of me to say what it was) but does it really matter much, or do you need grease specific to fishing reels?

Second question is: after I replaced the washers in the Daiwa, I was unable to reattach the drag knob. It just wont go back on. spins and clicks. If I take the knob apart, I can get the nut to thread on no problem, but for some reason I just can't get it to catch when assembled.

Almost feel like just tossing this thing in the trash can and giving up. very frustrating.

EDIT: I finally got the knob to bite and was able to tighten it up. Not sure what that was so difficult, poor design maybe, I dunno.

I prefer to grease the drag washers a bit.
Cals grease is best.
You can get it from Smoothdrag.com.
When your there...get some TSI 301 and some Corrosion X.

As for the knobs themselves...
I totally agree.
They suck.
Better off wth a Shimano 4000 GT.
IMHO

I prefer to grease the drag washers a bit.
Cals grease is best.
You can get it from Smoothdrag.com.
When your there...get some TSI 301 and some Corrosion X.

As for the knobs themselves...
I totally agree.
They suck.
Better off wth a Shimano 4000 GT.
IMHO
Agree. My other reel is a gt4000 from the 90s. Doing the washers on that tomorrow.

hoping Santa brings me new reels for Xmas. Thinking maybe amundson but not totally sure yet. Lots of great options each with groups of people who love and hate them. Makes it hard to decide!

Last edited:
If you haven't read the standard way to apply grease to a drag washer is to lay it on with your fingers then rub it off with a paper towel so that there's just a thin skin which is all you need-I've used Cal's & Super Lube grease both are great.

Use Cal’s grease. A stated by other posts just a rub the grease in gently then wipe the excess off with a paper towel. I have found that sometimes it just takes a bit of pressure pushing the drag knob on while using my other hand to hold the spool from rotating while threading on the drag knob.

Once you get your new drag washers installed the desire for “fancy reels” will go away. My older red Shimano’s and newer Shimano’s with the gold coloring are way less maintenance than my Islanders.

I have actually been slowly converting to Hardy Longstones as I can get my hands on them for reasonable prices. Love the sound they make.

Use Cal’s grease. A stated by other posts just a rub the grease in gently then wipe the excess off with a paper towel. I have found that sometimes it just takes a bit of pressure pushing the drag knob on while using my other hand to hold the spool from rotating while threading on the drag knob.

Once you get your new drag washers installed the desire for “fancy reels” will go away. My older red Shimano’s and newer Shimano’s with the gold coloring are way less maintenance than my Islanders.

I have actually been slowly converting to Hardy Longstones as I can get my hands on them for reasonable prices. Love the sound they make.

Seals love the sound Longstones make too! ;)
a buddy of mine just asked me what i would buy for a salmon rod if i only had $350 to spend. i thought about it and i have to say a shimano gt 4000 and a technium rod is pretty much perfect for our waters. you can free spool if you want to jig, they are basically zero maintenance. my islanders are a constant breakdown and lube etc and my reel still creeps like crazy

Back