Transducers

ericl

Questions are coming about transducers, so I am sharing:
Most transducers are made by Airmar & you can usually buy the "generic" Airmar model cheaper than a specific electronics mfgr version.

In most case the generic version will require a "mix & match" cable; a short adaptor cable. It's usually cheaper & allows you to change electronics brands but re-use the same transducer by getting a different "mix & match" cable

if your able to solder you can usually just splice which ever cable to different MFG's

and can save a bit.....
but a mix and match makes it simple

running EV0-2 12" & S2009 to S5100 black box to SS-175 high wide---- SS 175-high and SS 175-low installed in the B25

also have a pair of SS 264-W and LSS-2 along with the std P66 now on the bench ....

if your able to solder you can usually just splice which ever cable to different MFG's

and can save a bit.....
but a mix and match makes it simple

running EV0-2 12" & S2009 to S5100 black box to SS-175 high wide---- SS 175-high and SS 175-low installed in the B25

also have a pair of SS 264-W and LSS-2 along with the std P66 now on the bench ....
Could you break this down for dummies like me? I don’t have an 8 year degree in transducers.

i have used 7-pin ip rated waterproof aviation connectors from ebay
as the airmar ones too expensive so just buy the fly lead you need that goes to your Airmar this really only matters if your getting a bare wire transducer or converting over say from lowrance to garmin and already have a 1 kw airmar installed ...
or your buying say a used bare wire one ...

Could you break this down for dummies like me? I don’t have an 8 year degree in transducers.
It makes little sense to me as well - I believe he is just telling us what transducers he has.

I am an ex-FAA certified Avionics repair tech & would buy the mix-and-match cable over soldering; they are $60 US or so.

It makes little sense to me as well - I believe he is just telling us what transducers he has.

I am an ex-FAA certified Avionics repair tech & would buy the mix-and-match cable over soldering; they are $60 US or so.
Good for you
but you posted the starter and stated you had questions ? totally agree with you about getting the mix and match ....
when i frist got my BSM-2 and high and low SS-175's they where bare wire and where spliced to the 7 pin lowrance end. i converted the bsm to pannel connectors and then done away with the spliced joint and just went with the male 7 pin aviation end allowing for ease of disconnection .
as the BSM-2 was a hard wire later BSM-3 was lowrance blue 7 pin connectors ...
Simrad done a trade in on the BSM's and i went S5100 which have the blk 9 pin but supply the 9 pin- 7 pin fly leads .....
also just letting you know also that yes i have a few transducers but have built my set up over time .... if you see my recommendations to others is to be honest keep it more simple ...
hope the pics explain a bit better....

Attachments

• 067.jpg
    067.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 24
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 075.jpg