Trailer Lights - Replacement

Franko Manini

Folks,

I'm looking to replace a set of trailer lights. the old ones last a few seasons and they were the Wesbar type with the incandescent bulb that is inside a "sealed" clear plastic pod. They worked okay, until of course one of the "sealed" units decided it wasn't really sealed anymore.

So what is everyone using and having good results with? Are the newer LED types better? I want something that will last and I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks

Folks,

I'm looking to replace a set of trailer lights. the old ones last a few seasons and they were the Wesbar type with the incandescent bulb that is inside a "sealed" clear plastic pod. They worked okay, until of course one of the "sealed" units decided it wasn't really sealed anymore.

So what is everyone using and having good results with? Are the newer LED types better? I want something that will last and I don't mind paying for it.

Thanks

Wow funny the timing of your post..
yesterday I replaced the exact lights you are talking about for the same reasons(right side was burned out)with the Wesbar led replacements..plug and play...love them very bright
2002 trailer and all connectors are still in great shape..I spray "Plid" (Strathcon Industries in Courtenay has it)on every electrical connection I can find.
I'm one that likes to have every light working on the trailer.
You won't regret getting led replacements

Picked replacement lights up at CV Marine here in Courtenay..

I went LED last season as well. Sealed unit with no bulbs to corrode. I still unplug every time I dunk the trailer as electricity+water=corrosion's best friend.

I replaced my trailer lights with LED's last year and I decided to do the best I could to make it last a long time. I used a Cully Epoxy Splice where any connections would be under water. They are not cheap but they are rated for under water splicing up to 600 volts AC. I also ran every situation that required a metal trailer ground all the way to the tongue so the ground would not be under salt water. With the cully you splice the wires with even wire nuts and then break and shake an epoxy tube. You then shove the connections all the way into the tube filled with epoxy. It turns to rock hard an a very few minutes. Link for info: http://www.cesco.com/b2c/product/ES137S-CULLY-1-3-8-ELECTRICAL-SPLIC/112340

Hope this is helpful

I have mounted my LED trailer light on a 8 foot 2x4 and hang them off the back of the boat. They never touch water and have been working great for 7 years. Id' never go back to trailer mounted light too much maintenance and replacement.

My LEDs have so far worked great. Had them three years now. If you need to replace, I don't know of any reason not to choose LED.

LED here, still unplug the trailer before launch just to be sure. But those grounds can still be a problem LED or no, use di-electric grease or home run them back to the hitch.

I have used led's (tractor trailer sealed units) for 10 years now, never had to replace one. Lots of dilectric grease on the plug ins. I also used plasti-cote on all the grounds. I do not unplug while launching. The three marker lights in the centre, are smaller sealed leds, but l mounted them on a piece of puck board instead of aluminium as they are mounted under the crossmember, and close to the ground.

My 2012 Roadrunner came with LED Westbar's I have only had to replace one side marker light. The tail lights still work perfect after soaking them a hundred times. I unplug from my truck when launching. My old Roadrunner had incandescent and there is no comparison. I was continually fixing lights and always carried two spares of everything.

Last edited:
I bought mine from Inland Kenworth, but any truck supply house will have them. Lordco probably as well.

2016-06-18-19-02-38-1799832771.jpeg

Replaced incandesent a couple years ago (always issues). LED no problem after many dunkings but I also always unplug as a habit. Mine were from cantire but shop around for a sale, lots on amazon if not in a rush to replace. Well worth the upgrade.

Replaced incandesent a couple years ago (always issues). LED no problem after many dunkings but I also always unplug as a habit. Mine were from cantire but shop around for a sale, lots on amazon if not in a rush to replace. Well worth the upgrade.

On sale now at Canadian Tire I believe. Some times we forget to unplug when we hurry to launch?

I went with LED lights this summer, 3 months later the right side is out.
life time warranty on the Optronics from Can Tire.
Make sure you keep your receipt.

I went with LED lights this summer, 3 months later the right side is out.
life time warranty on the Optronics from Can Tire.
Make sure you keep your receipt.

check your grounding. That is not normal for LED lights for only 3 months. I had that happen once and it was grounding issue.

LED's are the way to go. I've run separate wires for each light to waterproof junction block mounted at the front. Each wire was sealed at the connection by using a glue gun then heat shrink tubing over the glue. Hit the tubing with the heat gun and glue melts and tube shrinks at the same time creating a totally watertight seal. Five years on this setup so far and no issues. It will probably last a lot longer.

Still unplug my lights at launch. I added a removable plug with a unique connector to my junction block. So when I unplug the trailer light the pigtail comes right off. If someone was to steal my trailer from the ramp they'd have no lights without my special connector. Just a litle simple theft deterrent. Every little bit helps, so maybe they just take a less troublesome target.

Back