Trailer Lights - Replacement

I have found that some of the led lights are not completly sealed. Some have a tiny hole in the bottom, which in theory is not supposed to allow water in. Another has screws that hold the lense to the body. Another has wires that run through the plastic housing. All of these are not sealed and potentially will allow the entrance of water. However, unlike bulbs which just blow when the water hits them, the salt water takes a little longer to corrode a connection, leading to failure.

I wonder if it would make sense to silicone around any potential area's where leaks could occur ?
Lifetime warranty could lead to a lot of replacements otherwise.
Also, what is the point of unplugging if LED'S generate no heat ?
seems to me it's kind of redundant ?

If you are using regular bulbs, and water hits the hot bulb, it will usually pop. Not unpluging them and putting the brakes on, could I suppose heat the bulb up enough to cause it to blow, but could also cause a short to ground, blowing a fuse. So in that case I would unplug, now remembering to plug them back in???
For sealed leds, no reason to unplug, and at night they act as runway lights :)

I have never unplugged my lights, and have used both incandescents as well as LEDs. I have never lost a light due to "popping".

Back