Traeger smokers

Whitebuck

Thinking of buying a Traeger coming up here.

Have a digital bradley and it gets lots of use....but need another smoker.

What are the pros and the cons of the Traegers?

Thanks

Thinking of buying a Traeger coming up here.

Have a digital bradley and it gets lots of use....but need another smoker.

What are the pros and the cons of the Traegers?

Thanks
One of the pros is you'll only need to cook small portions because nobody will want to eat your garbage bbq.

I'm kidding. That's just how my mind works...

My brother has one and I think it's great. Easy for the guys that don't like to fuss. I've heard there can be problems with circuit boards and augers. But keeping it out if the rain might resolve that. I say go for it.

I love mine but I don’t think it’s a direct replacement for a Bradly. I still pull out my 30 year old little chief if I want my best effort at smoked salmon.

The biggest pro in my mind is ease of use especially if you get a wifi version. I am no expert when it comes to cooking so Set it and Forget works well for me.

We hardly use the two BBQ’s in my yard anymore 90% of the stuff is done on the Traeger, chicken is my favourite!

I have an older Traeger, it works Awesome! My Bradley is for cold smoking things and I have the gasser for anything that needs a sear

Mike

I have 2 Treaggers, the pro and the timberline. I love ours. I would look at the Ironwood at min, it reaches 500f and can sear steaks. I use ours for everything cooking and hot smoke products. I had a control board go on mine and warranty had me a new one in 3 days.

Check out the GMG and the Pit Boss both very good as well. I have a GMG and to me the pizza oven attachment is worth it. Pit Boss has the nice option to open the grill to the fire box to Flame broil.

The traeger brand is well built. The D2 stuff now on the pro series is alot better then the older models, because they went to Dc motors for easier and more precise control. Rock solid units. They go as low as 160 and up to 400 on the 575 and the 780 models. Think the more expensive models go higher. The ironwood vents through the back which in some cases isn't good because of where it would go in someone's porch or backyard. However I've heard that it creates better smoke flavor than the other units. The 575 smokes better than the 780 for some reason. Might have somthing to do with air space within the unit and fan control. Essentially it's just a convection wood fire oven.

The GMG grill are also good so I've heard. I'm actually thinking about buying one based on its features. They don't go as low as the traeger. Think the go low to 180 or 200, but can go up to 500. The new models are 100 percent DC. Have the sight windows, interior light, and ability to control the heat damper tray which that could result in more smoke flavor imo. To me it seems like a small adjustment on the convection of the Unit. Which to me seems like a great idea. Seems the GMG grills pack more intuitive features but I don't have experience hands on to identify actual material quality. Traegers material thickness is really good for a consumer style grill.

None of these pellet grills are comparable to a 5000 dollar offset wood fire smoker, however super convenient, and cheap to run. Pellet bags are 20 bucks each. Seems like one bag of pellets is about the same as one bottle of propane.. the 575 will do a 15hour brisket using around one bag of pellets.

The weber is also a nice choice.been researching them alot lately. They might do a better job on actual smoke flavor and penetration however they are drawbacks. They don't have a drip tray over the firebox. Which led to grease fires when they first came out. They do have 2 racks though so you can put a foil pan on the first rack and drip below into the pan. Personally I don't like that it has small hazards. I like to set it and forget it.

Either way traeger or GMG are the best ones Imo. For under a grand the 575 is awsome and cant go wrong. The GMG ledge might be as good or better. That size grill seems to work the best imo.

Between me and the boys there is 3 machines. My good bud has the 575 which we use alot. My other good bud has the 780 which we can't get to smoke as good as the 575. We have the tailgater unit on the big boat which does a helluya job. No features really but hey it's a boat. The smaller machines smoke better for some reason. They all do a steller job however I'm looking into the GMG ledge currently. About to pull the trigger on it.

Edit: the new GMG ledge models etc can do 150 to 550 temp. So that's an upgrade from their previous models. Must have skipped that part when I was reading up. Bonus

Last edited:
I've been using my neighbors Traeger and a few things to add:

LOVE IT. Although I'm coming from a portable propane Bradley where I have to regulate the temperature myself (PAIN).

That being said,:

1. The older WiFi units don't play well with the 5G networks that most new wifi modems work from, which means you need to split up your signal to 2.4g and 5. And depending on your router location and number of wifi's in your area, you may not be able to operate the unit with your phone.

2. The pellets are more efficient than the pucks. Get full burn on the pellets

3. I've heard that many guys that have bought bigger Traeger's say they are too big and have downsized to the Tailgater. Although this may not apply here :)

4. Be sure to hit the Super Smoke mode on the Traeger for more smoke.

Last edited:
I have a GMG Danile Boone. Which I think they now call Ledge. It does go from 150 to 550. I love it. Wifi works great. They also have a feature for if you leave the house control. If you really want to cook at 500° then a pellet grill isn't a great idea. Burns lots of pellets and grease fires are a problem. I rarely cook above 400. Sear my steaks in cast iron. Burgers do ok at 400 or 425. It's all the stuff you can do with it that a gas grill is useless for. Ribs, pork butts, Brisket etc. I smoke my salmon at 150 in it. Turns out nice. I've made decent jerky. Smoked nachos! Christmas Turkey... I could go on. I'll never own a gas grill again.

Check out the GMG and the Pit Boss both very good as well. I have a GMG and to me the pizza oven attachment is worth it. Pit Boss has the nice option to open the grill to the fire box to Flame broil.
I’ve got an older GMG Daniel Boon with the sliding grate/open flame option. I love the thing. It literally cannot make bad food.

Thanks again for the replies....its either going to be the tailgater or the 575.

Will be looking at a GMG Ledge tomorrow though.

I think it's the convection on the tailgater. I swear my tailgater cooks better then the other sized machines. That being said I had a look at the ironwood model today. The smaller 600 series. Because the tailgater and the ironwood both exhale smoke out of the back evenly, and not out the top, I was wondering if maybe that's why. Has the ability to convect better?

Bought the 575 from Haney sewing and Sound. They beat any price by a Longshot.

Did steaks and potatoes in the Traeger last night. Got a smoke ring on the steaks and reverse seared them.

Absolutely amazing. Doing wings, burgers and ribs tonight.

Thanks for a the input!!!
We need more food **** on the what’s for dinner thread

Back