Towing to Moutcha

Thanks again. I will try to get there as early as possible obviously but not looking great. 6:20am ferry, arrive at Nanaimo at 8:00ish, so really 8:30 to be on road from ferry. Google says 3 hours to GR so I am figuring 4 hours with trailer and probably a stop along the way which puts me at around 12:30 to GR. Does this timeline sound reasonably accurate from those who travel it? What type of water are we talking? Uncomfortable chop where I will need to travel slowly but safely or 6 foot standing waves two feet apart that are ready to devour my boat at any moment? I don't like the idea of staying in a hotel overnight with the truck and boat full of gear. Any other options?

Thanks again. I will try to get there as early as possible obviously but not looking great. 6:20am ferry, arrive at Nanaimo at 8:00ish, so really 8:30 to be on road from ferry. Google says 3 hours to GR so I am figuring 4 hours with trailer and probably a stop along the way which puts me at around 12:30 to GR. Does this timeline sound reasonably accurate from those who travel it? What type of water are we talking? Uncomfortable chop where I will need to travel slowly but safely or 6 foot standing waves two feet apart that are ready to devour my boat at any moment? I don't like the idea of staying in a hotel overnight with the truck and boat full of gear. Any other options?
Depends on the boat and the day-sometimes you can make an educated guess and go on the south side of Gore island and its better other times the north side. Use your head and don't go down the center of the channel like most guys--one side or the other is usually best. Yes it's snotty but unless it is a really bad day it is do able if you are sensible--you know your boat-the worst is usually close to GR-have your wife wait--if you truly can't go load it back up and crawl to Moutcha bay-but usually do able at 10 to 12 knots then a little faster on the lee shores

Launch at Gold River. Take your time. I've come down the inlet in the afternoon in sloppy conditions in my Campion 542. Two good friends have done it lots of times in a 19' Wolf Aluminum and a 17.5 Double Eagle. I've also towed my boat as well as an empty trailer over the road. Sloppy conditions in the Inlet way easier to deal with than the tow. Last time my trailer was towed empty, I lost two bunks.

I think you are way off on your estimate of weight . I have a 20' thunderjet, similar boat and pulled it over the scales. 5000 pounds.

Agreed. Earlier the better. I believe I saw you trolling in Tahsis inlet. You have the same logo on your boat as your avatar? Hope you did better than us;)
Yes it was me. We got zip up the INLET although people I talked to did ok. All of our fish were caught at Maquinna or Bajo. We didn't get a single fish on the inside this trip. Sad.

Thanks Spring Fever and BigBruce. It's a stable little boat but not much deadrise so it'll pound pretty good which I'm OK with as long as I can take it slow and make it safely. It's definitely not a Wolf or have as much deadrise as the 542 or the DE.

Strait Shooter, I guess it depends on which ThunderJet you have. I haven't weighed it when loaded but I took the dry weights from the manufacturers websites and I realise i would be adding quite a bit of weight above that. It would be interesting to see where we end up when fully loaded for a week.

Back