Tow vehicle air bags

Prawn Star

I want to install them on my Ram 1500 but not sure which ones to get. I have EQs and anti sway but would like to soften the ride. Looking at mid range price.

X2 on Firestones. Had them in my old F150 for about 5 years and they were great. No need for them currently in my Ram 3500 but I'd go with Firestone if I wanted them.

I have the firestone 5000lb with longest travel on my Tacoma, custom brackets to accommodate the 9" lift, awesome when hauling camper, atv, or a load of wood. Remember they do nothing for legal carrying capacity but they do keep your headlights pointing in a legal direction. I had on last truck using "normal" mount, I installed the new Daystar cradles on the bottom this time. Amazing piece of kit, does not limit down travel when off-roading, axle drops normally in those cross ditches keeping wheels on ground for traction. Will never have a truck without this setup.

HM

Buddy put a set in his 2014 ram 1500 last year, work great. He has coils in rear so bags go inside coils. Still fairly simple install and great benefits.

HM

X3 on the Firestone. Have them on my F350. Only issue for me initially was I had to crawl under my camper to inflate near the rear license plate when my Northern Lite was on. Installed an onboard compressor in the cab which eliminated my issue and also no need to pull out my compressor. PS: manual says keep them inflated at 10 psi when not on load.

X3 on the Firestone. Have them on my F350. Only issue for me initially was I had to crawl under my camper to inflate near the rear license plate when my Northern Lite was on. Installed an onboard compressor in the cab which eliminated my issue and also no need to pull out my compressor. PS: manual says keep them inflated at 10 psi when not on load.

This is one of the reasons I went with airlift bags.
They have an internal Jounce bumper to prevent damage to the bags, just in case a leak develops and you’re unknowingly running around at zero psi. also, when not using the bags for a period of time, you won’t have to keep checking that you have 10 psi in there.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000-ultimate-plus/

Last edited:
This is one of the reasons I went with airlift bags.
They have an internal bounce bumper to prevent damage to the bags, just in case a leak develops and you’re unknowingly running around at zero psi. also, when not using the bags for a period of time, you won’t have to keep checking that you have 10 psi in there.

https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000-ultimate-plus/
Wish I had known that so I do thank you. It's a PITA always checking the bag status. So x on my x3. The on-board compressor still has many advantages though particularly when the wife brings along her case lots of wine. Lol

Wish I had known that so I do thank you. It's a PITA always checking the bag status. So x on my x3. The on-board compressor still has many advantages though particularly when the wife brings along her case lots of wine. Lol

Jealous of your on board compressor. I’m sick & tired of using my portable to inflate my 35’s from unloaded pressure up to 85 psi when the camper goes on (also Northern Lite), and when airing down & back up for the logging roads.

Hope to get a Viair on board air system before this season.

Last edited:
For air I have an ARB compressor under the hood, this runs my air lockers in diffs, but no permanent mounted line for the bags. I have a coiled line that I attach to the extra compressor port to air up the bags. Works great but yes pain to inflate when its muddy, cold or wet, bonus is no extra lines to get ripped, banged or damaged. Bags should have a few lbs of air in them to stop compressed suspension from crushing them.

HM

I ran the Firestone air bags on my old F250. Used a portable Viair modded with Andersen connectors, one side mounted to the rear bumper connected to the battery, the best of both worlds for inflation, portable and power where you need it. Haven't found a need for airbags with the F450.

Back