Tollycraft <30'

Finished Business

I'm looking for any opinions or experience with Tollycrafts under 30'.

Things you like, things you don't. Things to look out for.

All I know is it was part of the original BOAT acronym
Bank Owns Another Tollyo_O
sorry for the hijack Nick, now back to the regularly scheduled....

The Tolly 26 is one of the most popular boats ever built.They were well built,production ended around 1980 I think.Their very big boats for their length,very spacious interior,large cockpit and bridge.They came with multiple power configurations,single,twins,v-drive,outdrives,mercruiser ,volvo etc.They need a lot of power to get up and go so most people cruise at slow speeds.Very heavy and wide so trailering isn't practical.If you can find one that's clean ,well cared for considering it's age,and don't mind paying moorage fee's,they're hard to beat as far as getting the most boat in 26 ft. But keep in mind it's at least 36 years old,your going to be working on it at some point.

They have a reputation for being "tender" in a following sea. I have a 33ft Chris Craft that also has this reputation. Here is a description on this behaviour:

When running on plane with a large following sea coming from the stern (6 ft or more) the boat will heel over and the stern will rock from side-to-side. Being up on the fly bridge is uncomfortable. If you do not boat in the open ocean, it is unlikely you will encounter this.

Standard inboards tended to be 318 Chrysler V8's

FYI, Tolly also makes a 28ft sport fisher.
Uniflite is a very similar boat & made a 28ft Mega.
Some Chris Craft's of this era are similar. Mine is a 33ft Catalina & has all fiberglass stringers & the bilge is 100% accessible.

Back