Tips For Bringing Little Ones Out

Mirror what many have said, make them comfortable, make it fun and keep them occupied, other post on here about tackle as toys. Both my son and daughter started in boat in baby baskets and still today 25+ years later both love being in boat. Lifelong fishing partners/competitors?? if done right. When I am "old" it will be them who take me out fishing.

HM

Mirror what many have said, make them comfortable, make it fun and keep them occupied, other post on here about tackle as toys. Both my son and daughter started in boat in baby baskets and still today 25+ years later both love being in boat. Lifelong fishing partners/competitors?? if done right. When I am "old" it will be them who take me out fishing.

HM
Mine is a 20 months now, I think? We took her out for the first time when she was about 6 months for some early spring crabbing. Obviously at that age they're just in a bumbo or chair or whatever. What I'm finding hard now is she can walk but not all that great. She doesn't like being locked into her chair (it's this thing that clamps to the table, pretty awesome) but when she's walking around she's literally just looking to be holding onto moms leg. She's interested in what we're doing but it's tough to keep her involved but not in the way. Pulling traps gets messy so we try and keep her just inside the door but then she whines. I honestly don't think she's at the age yet where she "gets" what we're doing. She just likes clouds and planes and yelling "booat" whenever one goes by. How do you guys actually keep them involved but out of the way at this age without a "distraction"?

A live herring in a bucket, tie a stern line to their life jacket and let em play! also just hoochie bodies and some coloring books, along with snacks/food.

also just a light spinning rod setup for my daughters, with an apex etc if it goes off they get excited and want to fight the fish anyhow lol

I asked my almost 12 year old if he wanted to bomb up to the Coast tomorrow on the boat, which would mean blowing off school, distance learning or whatever and he flat out denied me...when I was his age, I was well on my way to doing as little to get through as possible so if an opportunity presented itself to skip school, let along "distance learning" I would have been all over that ****. Clearly he takes after his Mom...enjoy 'em while they're young, iphones and girls / boys are just around the next corner...

I asked my almost 12 year old if he wanted to bomb up to the Coast tomorrow on the boat, which would mean blowing off school, distance learning or whatever and he flat out denied me...when I was his age, I was well on my way to doing as little to get through as possible so if an opportunity presented itself to skip school, let along "distance learning" I would have been all over that ****. Clearly he takes after his Mom...enjoy 'em while they're young, iphones and girls / boys are just around the next corner...
Kill me

Mine is a 20 months now, I think? We took her out for the first time when she was about 6 months for some early spring crabbing. Obviously at that age they're just in a bumbo or chair or whatever. What I'm finding hard now is she can walk but not all that great. She doesn't like being locked into her chair (it's this thing that clamps to the table, pretty awesome) but when she's walking around she's literally just looking to be holding onto moms leg. She's interested in what we're doing but it's tough to keep her involved but not in the way. Pulling traps gets messy so we try and keep her just inside the door but then she whines. I honestly don't think she's at the age yet where she "gets" what we're doing. She just likes clouds and planes and yelling "booat" whenever one goes by. How do you guys actually keep them involved but out of the way at this age without a "distraction"?
I admit I was VERY lucky. Both mine could and would entertain themselves with what was around them, starting with whirly gig thing on basket. My son wanted to know and do every thing fishing, was content to see around. We played educational games, I am an animal freak so it was natural for him I guess. Life cycle of any species, what's that worm thing swimming beside boat, birds, sounds just a couple specifics. My daughter would ignore her bag of dolls/toys and play hoochie family for hours. Using hookless gear from tackle box and placed correctly back in proper tray at end of session. Must keep days "short", when whining starts maybe a going real fast for 20 min changes mood.

Again I was/am lucky. Both were not whiners and entertained themselves most times. Time sped by in boat, they did like hali anchoring and drift jigging more than trolling, so that's what we did more off. Enjoy/memory bank every second of these times, one day you will blink and they will be older and living their own lives with all that entails.

HM

I think my dad had the right idea about this, I remember crying my eyes out when my dad and older brother (4 yrs.older) would go and I wasn't allowed. I had to be able to take care of myself, dress myself, tie my shoes, brush my teeth,wipe my butt, and be quiet unless spoken to. That was about 6 yrs. old, and I still have many found memories of those fishing/camping trips we had many years a go, almost 60 to exact. It was all fresh water fishing, Chilliwack lake, Jones lake, Nahatlatch lakes,and Kawkawa lake. Back in those days to get to Chilliwack lake was quite a trip from Chilliwack, for years once I was old enough we spent the May long weekend there, some years we were the only ones there.

Back