Tips and tricks

The large laundry detergent bottles from Cosco (the ones with a pour spout) work great and a bailing/**** bucket. Just cut off the end with the spout and leave the handle in tact. Is also works great for spreading salt in the winter.

When trolling a lure that is behind a banana weight/moocher weight or keel weight:- such as for shallow Coho, it is better to have the rod pointing straight back and not at a very high angle.

The reason I do this has nothing to do with anything about Coho hitting hard or whatever.....

It is because if the rod is sticking out sideways it tends to "pump'....and this pump pulls the weight ahead and then lets it slip back...but the leader line gets pulled forward too on the "pump" and get tangled around the end of the weight.

So to minimize this "pump" the rod needs to be straight back and angled down........then the lure/weight will "track" better.

Great thread guys, just back from Alberta and have really enjoyed catching up with what's good, don't think i will be taping my $850 dollar iphone to the bumper anytime soon but a crafty fix for a back-up camera never the less, bleeding bucket is 100% great idea, Also like the cooler cozy idea FB.. keep this thread rolling as it is awesome. tight lines fella's :cool:

Originally Posted by Tiki35
Aligning the ball to the trailer by yourself:

A lot of people have iPhones and IPads. I tape the iPhone to the tailgate with a piece of duct tape, camera facing down. IPad is in the truck. Then you FaceTime each other with different email addresses and bingo you have a rear view camera system with stuff you may already have.

Seen this in a magazine once.
Take 2 half inch dowels sticks and attach a flat magnet to the base of each, then stand the dowels upright on the trailer ball and the other on the trailer hitch.
Now when you backup just align the two sticks and when the trailer ball stick topple you are in business

I did a pile of boat camping this summer. Couldn't have done it without an inflatable raft but my boat's too small to keep the raft on board while inflated.

Solution: attach a Scotty plug to an electric pump--I had the raft deployed and in the water in minutes. The same pump sucks air out of it so you can fold it or roll it into a tight bundle.

I've heard people dis Scotty plugs---what???? They rule (as long as you keep them bathed in dialectric grease)

Last edited by a moderator:
NAVIGATION DEVICE: On a recent boat trip I logged over 700 NM. My guess is, at least 150 of those NM were done in THICK FOG. We're talking pea soup variety.

I recently put two pieces of marine electronics on my boat--- a modern high definition radar (24 NM) and a heading sensor (fluxgate compass)

I'm not sure i could have pulled off the trip I did without these two pieces of equipment. Here's a picture I took approaching Cape Swain at the entrance to Seaforth Channel. The green line off ahead of the boat icon on my GPS screen is the heading sensor (just to the port side of the blue waypoint/route I'd entered into the system).

Between the heading sensor icon and the radar target images, I had full confidence when I threaded a cluster of rocks at Cape Swain turning into Milbanke Sound.

Just me and a nautical chart? No way...

Ok, with winter coming and boats going away (once I catch all the coho), I'm bringing this post forward again. Any tips for winterizing, storage, and maintaining? Lets have them.

My only tip is to not put your boat away and get out with her as many times as you can through out the year. She will appreciate it and so will you :). These things like to be run. Believe it or not it is actually good for your engine to be run. Some folks freak out about hours on their engines etc. Well a nice little day trip here and there through out the fall and winter never killed anyone and your engine will thank you. I find the best prawning and crabbing is in the winter months and there are feeder salmon around as well. Food for thought (pun intended):D.

This isn't exactly the prairies ya know lol.

Cheers,
John

Mechanical things, trailers etc do not like to stay in hibernation...

Yup. That's what I am talking about. Most problems people face at the beginning of the year is caused by not actually using their boats. To each their own. I run my gal most of the year and it is hop in and go. She likes it and I like it even more. Vrrooom, Vroooom, in the morning is the sound everyone likes :).

stones93 why not just get medical pee jar from a friend in the hospital or yard sale. I use one and just rinse it out after relief

Yup. That's what I am talking about. Most problems people face at the beginning of the year is caused by not actually using their boats. To each their own. I run my gal most of the year and it is hop in and go. She likes it and I like it even more. Vrrooom, Vroooom, in the morning is the sound everyone likes :).

Hows the honda running?

My winch packed in. Can anyone give me some pointers? Manual vs electric. If I go electric, what is the best way to wire it? Hook it up to the 4 prong trailer plug? Run a separate plug? Lets hear it.

My winch packed in. Can anyone give me some pointers? Manual vs electric. If I go electric, what is the best way to wire it? Hook it up to the 4 prong trailer plug? Run a separate plug? Lets hear it.

We put as electric winch on our boat last winter and one of the best things it makes loading the boat so easy just lean over the bow and push a button as for wiring it Jeff down at Harbour chandler said that the 4 prong plug would not supply enough power to run the winch under load so we ran a separate 4 gauge wire with a 80 amp breaker the con was for the 9000 lb winch it was pretty pricy if I do recall wiring and winch about 500 or 600

powerwinch also makes an extension power cord that goes from the plug on the winch motor to your battery terminals. Works great especially if someone else is towing your boat.

Back