Tips and tricks

Another downrigger tip....after breaking a few expensive rods blowing them up out of the rigger, I've started to release the break on my downrigger, while holding the reel. The wieght of the ball dropping realeses your mainline from the clip, in one motion a quick hook set and begin the fight. If it hasn't popped the pin, I see no sense in rushing to bust the rod out of the clip and this method works great. Don't need to use it on big fish cuz they do the poppin' for me! Easier on the rod and user I find. And you don't have to do the triple jerk cuz the clip just wont let go.

That is a great idea FB! Will try it out on the weekend!

I'm looking for a good tip on standby net storage.

We have the net extended (6ft length) so it;s ready to go when fish on.

My boat is 16ft...and no matter where you put the g*damn thing it's in the way.

At the back in a holder it's in the way when playing fish
At the front the bag flails in the wind and messes up the wife's hair as it catches her in the head
If it's anywhere upright from midships to stern ...it's in the way...
if it's too far forward you can't get at it in the heat of battle....the wife has to jump from steering wheel to net to me

If I had a dollar for every time I've just about hurled it as far into the chuck as it will go.......:eek:

I thought about making a couple of quick clips and mounting them to the gunnel so the net handle shaft is parallel to the boat
on the outside of the boat with the bag hanging on the outside....can be put back in the boat latere when finished...

I don't have a radar arch or anything like that to make an overhead holder.......
Rod holder mounted on the gunnel facing forward will usually hold it and the net resting on the bow or if its standing put a downrigger release clip on the handle to hold the net tight so it doesn't fly like a flag.

Guess I should have read the others guys answers. But what they said

Mount a tube or rod holder as far forward as reasonable for access, but tilt it forward on an angle. Use a release clip to hold the bag taught and out of your wife's hair. The release clip is also handy to keep the bag out of the way until the fish is inside the net.

Seafever: Tubber's right. The net clip is a great and simple addition

image.jpg

Fshnfnatic: do you have it mounted permanently, or on a rig that you can drop into a rod holder? Picture?
Hey poet1971. Sorry,no pics,but basically I'ts hard mounted to the gunnel with two 1/2" stainless bolts running
through a 5/8" piece of painted plywood on the gunnel side to make it consistently level,and another piece of
plywood on the underside,like what you would do with a downrigger. The bracket the roller runs in is galvanized,so
with the stainless bolts as well,I can have it removed in 5 mins.any time if I wanted,but just leave it there. It just
sticks out the width of the roller,4" or so,and I find it's never in the way anyhow.
"

Anyone using bait + cannonball flashers?

Curious to know if anyone is using chovies or herring on a leader without a flasher, and running some spinning flashers off the cannonball instead? If so, how many feet back from the cannonball? Thx.

You can run the flashers right off the ball I run my chovie or herrieng about 5 ft up and 8-15 ft back depending on water clarity and depth.

-KK

I keep a 5 gal bucket on board. Fill it about 1/3 to 1/2. Put the fish head first into the bucket and cut/rip a gill or two. Fish bleeds out in the bucket. Have a trash bag in the cooler that the fish goes into. Keeps the cooler clean. For ice, I use the 5 liter wine boxes. Pop the valve, rinse them out, fill with water and freeze. They sit flat in the cooler and last all day.

I keep a 5 gal bucket on board. Fill it about 1/3 to 1/2. Put the fish head first into the bucket and cut/rip a gill or two. Fish bleeds out in the bucket. Have a trash bag in the cooler that the fish goes into. Keeps the cooler clean. For ice, I use the 5 liter wine boxes. Pop the valve, rinse them out, fill with water and freeze. They sit flat in the cooler and last all day.

I like the first and third tips. I'll have to make a trip to Rutland to find someone with a wine box though.

^^ Yet another fine use for the humble goon sack! The ones with the removable spout are prized for carrying water back to camp, and once emptied they make a half decent camping pillow too, inflate a bit and you're good to go. Still wondering what to do with the so-called 'wine' they originally contain though! Weasel **** for the most part.

I love this thread! Probably the best ever on SFBC!
Will take pics of some of our secrets - most of mine have to do with getting around a shortage of space, and making life easier when fishing with newbies and kids.
The wine bag idea rocks, I've been using plastic containers such as milk jugs but they almost always split, then when the ice is liquid again, they still take up a ton of space!

I have been using those 2 litre Tropicana orange/Fruitopia juice boxes with the plastic screw top. They look like a milk carton. The kids keep pulling it out of the freezer and asking 1- why I froze their juice, and 2- why it smells like fish. The paper they are made from is lined with plastic and the lids are really solid. No need to drink crap wine, have a screwdriver instead. No scurvy on my boat.

Aligning the ball to the trailer by yourself:

A lot of people have iPhones and IPads. I tape the iPhone to the tailgate with a piece of duct tape, camera facing down. IPad is in the truck. Then you FaceTime each other with different email addresses and bingo you have a rear view camera system with stuff you may already have.

A 2 foot PVC pipe to use as an "extender" while peeing overboard. Not to be shared with others.

>>>>not that I need an extender but it's nice when it's wavy out so you don't have to lean over and risk falling in!

I had one of those when I had my 14 ft boat. It was cut to 24.5 inches so I could measure fish on the east coast with. Had duct tape at the 18 inch mark.

Trailer Light Advice/Ideas

I am trying to find a way to make my trailer lights last longer. I have tried to wash them down after each trip but it is a bit of a pain and it appears that it does not work so well for the effort put in.

I am in the process of putting some boat guides on my trailer using some 2x4 lumber. My plan is to mount the lights near the top to help keep them clear of the water.

Has anybody done this and is wood the way to go or is there something I am missing. I should have it completed tomorrow and hope to post a picture.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

After cleaning a bunch of fish give your your hands a good scrub with a spoonful of coffee grounds to get the smell off.

Like your bleed bucket tip BushBear.

Back