Tips and tricks

Aligning the ball to the trailer by yourself:

A lot of people have iPhones and IPads. I tape the iPhone to the tailgate with a piece of duct tape, camera facing down. IPad is in the truck. Then you FaceTime each other with different email addresses and bingo you have a rear view camera system with stuff you may already have.

a good tip - although seems like a make work project and not sure who lines up the Ipad and phone just for a hitch hook up? maybe i am in the old days of just knowing the hook-up length of the tongue and hitch with the naked eye?

Great thread!!

Electrical grease is one of my west coast ocean side friends for many of my electronics. My latest trick I applied to some switches I have on deck that see their share of salt and fresh water. I replace these almost every year but this spring i replaced the pair but not before i packed the interiors of the switch solid with electrical grease. The connections also get a good slathering of the grease on the back. I have a feeling these will last far longer than any of the rest. Carful taking these switches apart. Small parts and teeny springs.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who dock fish with your kids, try using raw bacon. It never lets me down. It stays on great. Plus, you only need one piece, and the rest just has to be cooked up and eaten! I have also found the little wire speader bars keep the hook of the bottom, and saves a ton of time and hooks.

Here's a gooder I whipped up tonight...

Need to get a few more days out of your 7 day cooler? Make a 'cooler cozy' as I call it.
Went to my local hardware store, picked up 7' of 48" wide pipe wrap ($25ish) and a roll of Gorilla Tape (damn thats sum good tape!), and this is what I came up with. Fits right over top my big igloo coolers.

Cheers

I replaced the standard bulb set-up with the LED system. They're sealed. Haven't had any problems for the past couple of years.

As for the wine boxes - I don't like the wine either and fortunately, I have a friend who has a friend who does like the stuff.

Another item I have in the bottom of my cooler(s) is a a frame made of 1" PVC pipe and then a piece of slotted aluminum sheeting attached. If you're not using a plastice bag to hold the fish, then the water and slime can drain through and the fish stay out of the gunk.

Need to get a few more days out of your 7 day cooler? Make a 'cooler cozy' as I call it.
Went to my local hardware store, picked up 7' of 48" wide pipe wrap ($25ish) and a roll of Gorilla Tape (damn thats sum good tape!), and this is what I came up with. Fits right over top my big igloo coolers.

Cheers

Great idea Finished! And nice floor. I have the same floor in my basement

Cheers! now if only I could put down the rods and pick up the nail gun and finish those damn baseboards. lol
I am interested to see how much life my cooler cozy adds to my big igloos. I will find out soon enough..

Instead of spending like 3grand on a kicker motor, just use a weed eater. works best with one of those plastic 3 blade thingy's. I use the smallest size bungie cord as a throttle lock. I will admit, steering is a bit tricky. Oh and just for fun, when
you get a spring up to the boat, don't forget to yell "CHOOT EM CLINT!!!"

one tip when using bait, when the piece you are using is toast--don't throw it over the side untill you are ready to leave. I have caught plenty of salmon with cut plug herring heads in them, unless of course you use them as chum.

Gave the boat a good scrubbing today. The Mr Clean magic scrubbers are awesome for getting the scuff marks off the hull without scratching it.

Aligning the ball to the trailer by yourself:

A lot of people have iPhones and IPads. I tape the iPhone to the tailgate with a piece of duct tape, camera facing down. IPad is in the truck. Then you FaceTime each other with different email addresses and bingo you have a rear view camera system with stuff you may already have.
Only works if your connected to wifi so I will not be trying this one.

Trailer Light Advice/Ideas

I am trying to find a way to make my trailer lights last longer. I have tried to wash them down after each trip but it is a bit of a pain and it appears that it does not work so well for the effort put in.

I am in the process of putting some boat guides on my trailer using some 2x4 lumber. My plan is to mount the lights near the top to help keep them clear of the water.

Has anybody done this and is wood the way to go or is there something I am missing. I should have it completed tomorrow and hope to post a picture.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

I buy the cheap ones and take them apart and coat the entire inside including the bulbs with dielectric grease. They last for years.

Maybe you could make a hotspot with your iPhone and to connect to it with ipad,still I don't think I would bother trying this it sometimes takes a few try's but its not that hard connecting a trailer by yourself even in the dark

Maybe you could make a hotspot with your iPhone and to connect to it with ipad,still I don't think I would bother trying this it sometimes takes a few try's but its not that hard connecting a trailer by yourself even in the dark
Still wouldn't work...... Just not a good idea

Not this trailer but my last trailer, I had a truck mirror mounted on the winch post which had a bit of a flag post on it(actually a bent piece of aluminium pipe) The mirror was high enough that it was higher then the tailgate on the truck and pointed down at the tongue of the trailer. You could back dead on to the ball on the truck by just looking in the mirror. Worked great.

Cheers

Nick,
if you have any left wrap the bottom half of the cooler and tape it right onto the cooler then slide your cozy down over,
cause as you know cold stays low and you'll loose alot out the bottom as well
just a thought

Prior to thawing your Vacuum packed fish break the seal on the bag.
This keeps the moisture inside the fish and not in the bag. You will have a better quality product.

Back