Thoughts on a 2009 Double Eagle

Thanks as well "High Five" (love the pic, funny movie) for your thoughts. Yeah, saves on gas is right. Prob see gas hit $1.50-60 soon enough. We will be telling our kids about the "good old days" that in reality was last weekend.
Most likely the big boys stock piling up the fuel for what looks like the upcoming war in Iran. But hey, we just want to fish right? Too bad the big boys running things can't think the same and take their kids or grand-kids out with a fishing pole instead of a gun. What a gentle world it would be huh.

Is fishing here in Nanaimo worth going out for or do I have to go elsewhere? Cheers!

Check it out 2003 Hourston Glascraft runabout with a 200 hp, in Nanaimo Craigslist. He is asking 17500 for it. Is this comparable to the 2009 Double Eagle I am looking at for 21'gs with a 90 hp.
Ok now everyone, what are your thoughts as to the best boat to haul my little fam in fishing?

As always your comments are appreciated from this boat newbie!

Hourstons are a good west coast hull as well. The only thing I noticed about them is they have a little less freeboard " distance from
gunnel to waterline". I own a 16.5 DE,with a 115 and it's all I need, as I'm usually alone in the boat. If your planning on fishing more
than 2 people, I'd consider no less than a 18.5. Anything smaller and you would soon regret the purchase, and surely upgrade.

If I could do it again I would have got the 17.5" ( like Chero has....). The 16.5" can handle very rough water, so that is not an issue. It does just anything have weather limitations. I hate fishing with strong wind so it doesn't really affect me. But I will only fish on the shoreline in Sooke areas and as far offshore as Constance Bank on west side. Swift sure bank Renfrew ...Never! The main issue for me is always is space ( Like for example space for a good fish cooler!). With a little bigger of a boat it would allow me to say halibut fish, and also bring other gear to so multiple things say for example halibut fishing, and salmon fishing same day, and maybe through down a few traps. I can do these things presently is it starts getting to crowded.

What you will find unfortunately a lot of these boats are very overpriced when you start looking at used. Usually most of them are in rough shape depending on year, and people sell them high because of the good reputation. To find mine I looked at 8-10 boats before I purchased. Most were pretty rough shape.

For a starter boat that is easy to move and fish a lake or in the ocean you cant beat it. The biggest plus of the smaller boat in my opinion is money. I can do trips in the summer for full days of fishing trailering/gas in boat for less than $40-60 even when gas is high. Too me that is the main plus. For me a bigger boat right now is not a smart choice with the high prices of fuel we will be paying in the summer.

Also don't be afraid to look at Hourstons they are very good as well.

High Five

Owning the same boat, I can say ditto. It can get a little crowded and offshore trips are necessarily rare (weather must be perfect and other boats nearby), but we fish basically the same places as High Five, as well as inside at Nootka, and it's great. We found one in great shape compared to many others I have seen. We have a 90 two stroke - very fast but thirsty at full throttle. Better (and still fast) at 3/4 throttle. I am thinking that the new Yamaha F70 would be about perfect for a re-power: it only weighs 260 lbs! What are people's experiences with less than a 90 on a DE 16? I see quite a few around with 50's & 60's.

I would say they are both nice boats. No pictures of the Eagle so hard to tell. The Hourston has the better power I think., but looks like you would still have to rig it for fishing. I find the Hourston's a little narrower in the back the the Double Eagle's. If you had the Hourstons power on the Double Eagle, hands down the Eagle.

Owning the same boat, I can say ditto. It can get a little crowded and offshore trips are necessarily rare (weather must be perfect and other boats nearby), but we fish basically the same places as High Five, as well as inside at Nootka, and it's great. We found one in great shape compared to many others I have seen. We have a 90 two stroke - very fast but thirsty at full throttle. Better (and still fast) at 3/4 throttle. I am thinking that the new Yamaha F70 would be about perfect for a re-power: it only weighs 260 lbs! What are people's experiences with less than a 90 on a DE 16? I see quite a few around with 50's & 60's.
Don't know about the 16 footer but had a 175 with a 90 2 stroke on it and it was under powered IMO, blew the motor and replaced it with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke and it was great. 3 big guys and still tons of power. Flat water and just me it would do 50 mph on GPS. would cruise at 30@3500 rpm. The thing with most 4 strokes I find you need to go bigger to compensate for the added weight. On the 16 I would go with the 90, always nice to have the extra power.

so is the census the 17 foot Double Eagle is going to be a) Underpowered with the 90 hp and b) not enough room for me and my two young kids and wife?
Thanks guys.

Don't know about the 16 footer but had a 175 with a 90 2 stroke on it and it was under powered IMO, blew the motor and replaced it with a 130 Yamaha 2 stroke and it was great. 3 big guys and still tons of power. Flat water and just me it would do 50 mph on GPS. would cruise at 30@3500 rpm. The thing with most 4 strokes I find you need to go bigger to compensate for the added weight. On the 16 I would go with the 90, always nice to have the extra power.

Fully loaded with 2 guys & gear, my 16 DE with the 90 gets almost 40 mph WOT and about 28 mph at 3500 RPM, on calm water, which is plenty fast. Probably faster than I need. I'm curious as to how the 16's with the 50, 60 & 70 hp motors do by comparison? I'd be prepared to trade off a little speed for some fuel economy.

I've owned Double Eagles for over 30 years.
First a 17.5 hardtop eventually repowered with a yamaha 130 two stroke.
Scary fast 49.5 mph on the gps. Too fast IMHO. Thing was a tank, bullet proof. Very good condition when I went to sell it I had two people who wanted it. Gone in 4 hours.
Bought for 6500 in 1981, sold for 10750, in 2007
Bought a brand new 185 cuddy with a 150 yamaha 4 stroke does 47 mph on the gps.
Waaaaay better to fish out of balance in the water is excellent, rough water handling is superb much much better than the 17.5.
Easy to launch easy to tow, very good on fuel.
Cuddy is great for a nap lots of storage and the porta potti is a great option.
Only complaint so far is the hole for the controls and steering much too low in the engine well, bad with following sea.
Floods into the boat.
I believe Double Eagles after 2007??? are no longer built by the old Double Eagle craftsmen.
They are sub contracted and then assembled by Double Eagle, You might want to check that out if its important to you.
One of the fellows I fish with in the summer { and lurks here} has a 185 cuddy with an E-tec on it Very fast and a bit better balance with the lighter motor.
I would go with a 185 cuddy, but the 17.5 is a damn fine boat also.
I'll take you for a spin in my 185 if you want.
Dan.

I have a 1994 17.5 double eagle with yamaha 2 stroke 90. Lots of power. I run at 28 mph at 4000 rpm. Goes like hell full out. Not sure why you would want to go any faster in this size of boat.
Yes has more space in the back than a 18ft with cuddy but has less storage area so depends what you are looking for. My vintage also has 2 sleeper seats that are quite low. Not sure what the newer models have. 1 sleeper and a pedestal?
I fish 2-3 comfortably and take my wife and 2 kids prawning and beaching comfortably.
The 17.5 has the sliding glass longer window on the sides which is nice.

Tips

If this is your first boat I say both boats are great choices. A 17 ft boat is a great choice. Easy to tow. When I first started out that boat did it all for me. I was able to fish any where i wanted. Fished Sooke, Renfrew(even Swiftsure when it was nice out), Bamfield, Campbell River, everywhere. Towed skiers and tubes on the lake for hours and hours in the summer. Cruised Gulf Islands with the family. The Double Eagles and Hourstons are easy to sell if you decide to move up. I would give the edge to the Double Eagle for resale, but just by a nose. Take the family back if you like and have them all climb in the boat to see how you all fit. Then think about all the crap you'll be taking with you( cooler ,tackle boxes, extra clothing) do you still have room. I found most of the time it was just me and a couple buddies in the boat. and we were fine. If your serious take them both for a spin. If a guy really wants to sell he will take you for a test drive. Plus it will show how he starts it and show you the in's and out's of the boat. Go with the guy or meet him at the dock so thats it's not all warmed up and ready to go,so you can see how it starts cold at the dock. By the sounds of these two boats I don't think thats going to be a problem. The power sounds new enough that you could have a dealer hook it up to the scope and tell you the hours and all that. Good Luck

Only complaint so far is the hole for the controls and steering much too low in the engine well, bad with following sea.Floods into the boat.
I believe Double Eagles after 2007??? are no longer built by the old Double Eagle craftsmen.
They are sub contracted and then assembled by Double Eagle, You might want to check that out if its important to you.
That was a problem on my boat as well. Especially when 2-3 people all stood in the back. Ended up pulling it all out and covering the hole with a inspection cover and moving the hole up higher.

hey Casper! Hey Tips! Hey Dan! Guy's if you don't mind and have a minute check out Nanaimo Craigslist look under Hourston boats. The one for 17g's out of Gibson. What do you guys think of this one price wise and what not you can offer compared to the 17 foot 2009 DE @ 21g's with a 90 HP. I would really really appreciate your comments. As well, would love to take you up on the excursion there Dan. It is more $$ getting a new 185 but might b worth it? If you dont mind me asking Dan, did you get a fair deal purchasing it and from whom? They really are hard boats to come by as I have been searching for months and no newer models come up.

Cheers guys! This is all really helping me as to my decision having kind folks who are experienced!

Vanillagator, to answer your questions about the boat I would consider it from 3 aspects...is it a good deal?...is it a good fishing boat ?...is it a good boat for my wife and small kids? The answer to the first 2 questions is "yes". As mentioned in my earlier note I think the boat is adequately powered.

The answer regarding the boats appropriateness for the family depends on your family. An open boat doesn't have very many creature comforts for families because they would be exposed to the sun, rain, wind and cold....its possibly not the kind of boat a young family would want to spend extended hours of fishing on (my family anyway). On the other hand, if they are fishing keeners, the fishing periods not too long, the wife is happy and the kids entertained...it may work well for you.

Thanks wet spot. All good points and well taken into consideration. I think I will load up the fam and have them at least sit in the 17 footer. If it is too small, I might consider moving up the 18 foot DE with cuddy. At least the cuddy will be a little space for the kids to unwind, play some games if they get bored or need nappy time (or nappy time for me for that matter!) I just wished I could find a fairly newer model 18 footer cuddy WITHOUT paying the heavy dollar of one. SG power sells new ones for $34 g's. YIKES!
Cheers!

Another boat you might consider is the 185 Campion. Should be able to get one in that price range. Has a small cuddy, newer hull( being that they only started making then not that long ago), little more room and are a little easier to find. The other thing you might have to watch out for as you go bigger is what you are pulling it with. For the money your spending there is quite a few nice boats in that price range.

Back