Info request on double eagle

zenocchio

I am thinking to upgrade form a 1972 14.5 double eagle to a 1982 17.5.
I use the boat to commute to my cabin in Howe sound, and looking to improve the safety of my family and overall comfort. I am wondering is there is a a noticeable difference in riding quality between the two boats as my wife really laments the roughness of the ride whenever there is a bit of seas. Can you also educate me on the model, I cannot find information on the 17.5, but only 176. What is the length and width of the boat? Thanks in advance

DE176 is the 17' model and you will notice a big difference not only in interior space
but in the ride.
The 14' will not bridge the waves like the bigger boat making the ride bumpy and
uncomfortable in windy conditions.

DE176 is the 17' model and you will notice a big difference not only in interior space
but in the ride.
The 14' will not bridge the waves like the bigger boat making the ride bumpy and
uncomfortable in windy conditions.
The boat I am interested is a 17.5. Does that translate to a 17.5 length? What is the difference with the 176?

I went from a 16' DE to a 176 (17.1') DE and that was a big difference. going from 14 -17 will be much better for you. There are a couple of models out there. Get the one with the long side windows rather than the angled side windows. The long glass windows that slide open are much nicer. Sounds like you may have already found a 176 as you have noted the hull year.
Upgrade the seats to a Bucket seats on boxes or pedestal for way better comfort. Mine is a 1991 and the stock sleeper seats were very low to ground. Like sitting on a tricyle with your knees at your chin. No cushioning or support.

Theres no such thing as a 17.5' double eagle. They are 17'. People get this idea because the model is 176. There is a big difference between even the 16 and 17 de, so the difference from a 14-17 will be even more significant.

Theres no such thing as a 17.5' double eagle. They are 17'. People get this idea because the model is 176. There is a big difference between even the 16 and 17 de, so the difference from a 14-17 will be even more significant.
That explains it, I thought that those were two different models. Thanks for taking the time to explain it. Why some boats have longer side windows than others? Does it have something to do with the hardtop?

Yes. I believe that is the original reason although there are quite a few soft tops out there with glass side windows. Mine was probably converted. The sliding glass windows are great.

Attachments

• IMG_9110.jpeg
    IMG_9110.jpeg
    346.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8423.jpeg
    IMG_8423.jpeg
    582.9 KB · Views: 69
I had a older 176 that my dad bought new , it was a soft top with the longer windows from factory. They’re out there just not as plentiful as the short side windows. It had nothing to do with hardtops, I believe it was an option when ordering

The longer sliding windows are on older double eagles, not sure exactly the change happened, but somewhere around 1990. I have a DE 176 from 1996. That year they further modified the topsides by raising the windshield by about 6", and redesigned the fiberglass floor and fuel tanks. The higher windshield makes a big difference to visibility in the driving position.

Here's a link to the 176 spec on the DOuble Eagle website:

Mine is 1991. They must have raised the window when they raised the seat height after that. I build my new seats about 3" higher. Still fine but looking at the top portion of window. But I'll take the sliding glass sides over the higher front window. So many benefits. Vision, air flow...

Back in 89 you had the option of angled side widows or longer level sliders...which is what I had. I had a 17ft Hourston and a 17ft DE..the DE was the better hull. Not perfect thou....I found with 2 or 3 people in the seats and in bigger seas the bow would take green water over the front deck which would rush up the window and some would find its way under the canvas snaps and water would drop on your lap. Models with outboard wells were also sensitive to weight in the stern...the well area is easy made awash with heavier motors combined with someone sitting on the well to steer a kicker with a helm arm or custom extension. Mine had the infloor tank between the seats..I think it was 20 gallons if memory is correct.

Profisher I had that exact thing happen to me shortly after I got the boat. Only has happened once, and I think it was becuase I dropped the revs too much. Since then if I am in similar conditions I trim the motor up and keep enough power on to keep the bow up without slamming. But yes we got a load of salt water dumped in our laps.

Profisher I had that exact thing happen to me shortly after I got the boat. Only has happened once, and I think it was becuase I dropped the revs too much. Since then if I am in similar conditions I trim the motor up and keep enough power on to keep the bow up without slamming. But yes we got a load of salt water dumped in our laps.
My experiences were leaving Sooke Harbour in a full ebb with a westerly blowing...close together steep waves were the boat couldn't settle between them before the next one was breaking on you. Because of the seas wasn't doing much speed..was trying to take it easy to get past the shallow harbour entrance water.

Yup, same except I was entering Porlier Pass into a full flood, with a strong northwesterly blowing down the straight. Tide rip against wind stacked the waves tight and steep together.

I went to see the boat I was interested in but it doesn't show as good as in the pictures. The motor is original to the hull and did not make it out of the harbor. what is the cost to repower these boats? I was considering lease return outboards but i did not found anything available locally.

When I repowered my 176 I was about $17k into a new Yamaha 115 with prop, controls, install, taxes etc. that was on sale for 3k off MRSP and came with 6 year warranty. I did it because I wanted to have that boat for 10 years. We all know how that turned out.

Back