This the "Year Of The Spoon"?

When I go to Brian Francis shop on the Alberni Highway (Magic Lure) I actually do get a better feeling about commy spoons.

I've bought some from him that were the PAL pressings.

many of PNT's came from him.

I have caught fish on a couple I bought from him............but the Silver Horde spoons keep calling me back........

yes.....but always made me wonder about the infamous "commy" spoons......

Never heard a bad word about commy spoons...........they are the commy's bread and butter I'm told.

But yet........I would bet that the average sporty has maybe 2 or 3 commy spoons in the tackle box.......that are never fished. They were procured from Grand-dad...and are taken out and looked at from time to time.

If commy spoons are that good....then why are people buying every other spoon but those?

I've been to PNT countless times for example.....and no-one ever goes to the commy spoon section and pick out a few and plunk them on the counter.

You will see them plunk TKO's, Silver Hordes, Coho-killers, hoochys and Coyotes on the counter...but never commy spoons.

You see the odd post here where a guy will fish one.........the other 99% of spoons posts they are fishing something else.

Now they know, I know, and you know that we should be buying commy spoons......because commies use them and they work...

So why do we punish and deny ourselves by buying something else?
Short answer: you have to polish them and most people are too lazy to do that.
T2

I've been to PNT countless times for example.....and no-one ever goes to the commy spoon section and pick out a few and plunk them on the counter.
That's because they are sold by the box.

Heavy metal needs speed to make swim.
Yes and cutting off the front swivel means you don't have to go quite as fast to make them dangle.

What brand is the "Blueberry Muffin"?
That colour is made by a number of Great Lakes manufacturers try Cold Water Tackle if you want to see literally hundreds of different colour combos from different makers.

65004-500x500.jpg

Actually....they are not all sold by the box at PNT on Alberni Highway...they are hanging right up on there on the wall individually priced. I guess you could buy a boxfull if you wanted though.

I see the Blueberry Muffin pattern has been adopted by more than one spoonmaker........but the one SpringVelocity was referring to was the Silver Horde one.

ChevysHaulAss:- yes ..I agree the Army truck 4 inch hoochy and also spoon can be deadly. I have not had deadly results with the Army Truck needlefish hoochy though.

I find Army Trucks are either really good or they aren't.......somedays they smokin' hot.....and others not at all....

We fish commercial spoons from time to time up in langara, some guys more than others. Original canada/usa Superiors in chrome or 50/50 are worth their weight in gold these days since they don't make them any more and it's a damn shame whenever a sea lion swims into the kelp with one(the Chinese knockoffs are not the same), Clendons, wonders, anything from #4 to #8 with a 7/0 hook. Sunny days in boulder bay they can be on fire.

Yes ....but they twinkle in the sunlight because up there you only going down...what?.......20 to 30 feet?

I have to go 180ft plus most of the time.......down into the abyssal sinister deep dark terrifying depths.....

Yeah exactly. 20-60 feet in that particular spot, I try them sometimes down deep up there during the offshore fishery but in those situations plugs usually are better. I know a couple guys that have fished superiors down here on the west side without a lot of success.

West side Charlottes #7 superior great spoon great down to 250'........

Bammmm!!! There you go seafever.

Better go buy a single or box from PNT lol. They have both. Just have to ask.

Metal rules :cool:. (When not running bait).

Besides, Pippen hates plastic........:p.

Last edited by a moderator:
Superior spoon, the reel deal, hands down the go to on my boat. Whacks them on the west coast all summer long. If you smile right at pnt, they might give you the real ones!

Yeah i use the superior all the way down to 200 ft although i usually use it on my shallower side..........

We have been using Krippled K and TKO spoons with good success, in fact haven't had a hootchie down since last summer.
Krippled K #2 seems to be the most consistent.

Back