The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Have heard from one member out there this morning.........sounds a bit slow; BUT....that can ALWAYS change. ;)

.Edit.....that has changed....12lber out south of Roger Curtis....120' on anchovie with green chrome head.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the lack of reports I take it was slow this weekend? I fished on the Trail Islands and Epsom Point on Saturday morning and it was dead slow. Beautiful morning on the water though and got some nice crab.

Put in 3 hours at the Bell Buoy Saturday afternoon without a single bite. Washing spoons between 80-120'.. Was mostly a trial run for a friend's boat, getting her out of her winter slumber.

no dice out there eh Demco? it'll be picking up soon. I'll give you a shout later this week.

I was out on Galiano this weekend and put in a 3 hour shift on Saturday and released a barely legal chinook caught on a teaserhead anchovie set up. That was my only bit in the 3 hours. Fished off the east side of Galiano by the cable marker. That fishery (the gulf islands) should be getting hot over the next few weeks. May and June are generally pretty hot over there.

yeah it was tough for us, is Silver over on the other side now for the summer? Was your Galliano trip a combined fishing weekend/dropoff at the summer spot for her?

*did see a couple charter boats(Lanikai) buzz past us on their way in from the QA, maybe they had some more action..

Has anyone been out this week,heading out tommorrow first real fish this year derby day for north van fish and game club should be fun.. post later with results.

tight lines
billydoos

It's ON this morning boys!!! Wish I had tix to the derby!!!!! There will be a be weighed in at the derby for sure! A bit lumpy though...

It's ON this morning boys!!! Wish I had tix to the derby!!!!! There will be a be weighed in at the derby for sure! A bit lumpy though...

?? Tyee!? Where were the fish today??

Great morning out past the QA... two 12s and a 10
All on a Coyote army truck glow at 160 ft between 9 and 11 am.
DSCN5001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely some good action out there today with most boats reporting some good action!!! Largest I know of today was 19 lb

Don't forget the closures starting tomorrow May 2nd, area 29 (6,7,9, 10) sub areas, no retention of any springs till July 15. Make sure your outside of these area's.
Nice to see some consistent catches finally start. A little later then normal.

Good luck

HT

Made the run over to the Gulf Islands this past weekend. Lot's of just undersized fish to report and a couple barely legals were boated. We lost one good fish (15+) during a double header where we only got the undersized fish in. Good to hear the local South Bowen fishery picked up this weekend as well! May is gonna be a good month

Funny how things change

After having a great day on the water saturday with the fishing hitting like mad on a #6
Coyote army truck glow that I tried for the helluvit. I ran down and bought a couple more because they were working so well and I only had one.
Sunday morning no dice.....not a nibble on those spoons.
A 5 inch anchovy at 60 ft did yield a nice 16 pounder though.:D
That fish had what looked like an 8 inch Greenling in the stomach.
I guess thats the importance of varying your offerings.
A beautiful sunny day on the water with flat water.
I counted about 30 odd boats in and around the slash in the am.

Out Sunday from around 11 AM - 4 PM.

Lots of boats, great weather. Only one hit, around 12:40, which turned out to be a 74 cm, 9 lbs white spring. (measurements by DFO creel guy at the ramp).

125 ft on the rigger, green and white Coyote, green flasher. We fished 1/2-1 mile away from the fleet, towards the QA.

DFO guy said that our fish was one out of four he had seen for the day.

Out Sunday from around 11 AM - 4 PM.

Lots of boats, great weather. Only one hit, around 12:40, which turned out to be a 74 cm, 9 lbs white spring. (measurements by DFO creel guy at the ramp).

125 ft on the rigger, green and white Coyote, green flasher. We fished 1/2-1 mile away from the fleet, towards the QA.

DFO guy said that our fish was one out of four he had seen for the day.

North Shore fish and Game Club Derby weighed in 50 Chinooks yesterday. The winner was 21 pounds 3 oz. Most were in the teens. Several in the upper teens. Wish I were out yesterday....

You'll find that "6.0" Coyote is a "hot and cold" spoon. Some days, the fish love it, other days, they'll hit all the gear around it. I have a few of that spoon and I've had a 25 pound feeder bend it 90 degrees over.... likewise Tomic Spoons....again..hot and cold....and frusterating! Gibbs Gators in the largest size have produced a few fish for me as well...although they like being trolled faster than normal.

Well spent a few days off south bowen and the QA and started to get the hang of the new set up. The first two days Friday and Saturday were pretty dead for us , but somebody flipped the switch for the derby on Sunday. 50 fish were weighed in for the derby up to 21 pounds, somebody had a thirty but was not in the derby. Not going to lie, my boat did not get the action I was hoping for, but I did get first blood for the Solowey. A 9 lber orange which had a few bigger 7 to 8 " herring in the belly, greedy little guy. That was off the south end at 120 feet on a 4" army truck spoon. The wife had 2 snap off the freshly tied leaders off the QA. They were down at 136, one was a purple haze strip and the other was a glo army truck head. Today I had a good fish go for a couple long runs until it just eventually ran away on me , sneaky sneaky. That fish went for the army truck chrome head but up at 100 ' . We only stayed for that one hit ,just a quick drive by Cowans on the way home . Of course just as I was leaving a guy rolls up and limits out in the first drop of the gear. Good time to be hitting the fishery, see you on the water.

I was out sunday and yes the action was hot first five min had a big fish rip alot of line off the real then came a the boat ,freind couldnt catch up with it so we all know the end to this story.Caught a 13lb marble and a 9 lb red also a couple ofother bites looks like its finally started thank god tired of looking at the rods with no action.

Tight lines
Billydoos

Back