The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Ooops ! Thanks

There are places to catch said bottomfish around Vancouver. However, the daily limit politely tells you that you should leave them alone and not fish for them. I advocate a TOTAL closure in areas 28 and 29.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with FM here. Would like to see full closure for bottomfish as they are on the brink and take a LONG time to recover. We've witnessed the east coast cod fishery and hope we can learn from them. There is a bottomfish charter boat that I see over at Galiano regularly that has 6-8 guys jigging off the side right next to the RCA zones in around galiano/mayne/etc. They all ferry over in the morning, jig up a cooler or two of cod, lingcod, and anything else they pull up, and ferry back from Vancouver in the afternoon. I've played 'buddy buddy' with them before just to see what they were catching and on a couple occassions I've seen the carnage in their coolers - including undersized lingcod, multiple lingcod, and rockcod no more than 8" long. Makes me sick at how some people/guides allow this to happen.

Interesting. I can think of a certain "somebody" who I see on occasion who refuses to let the Creel Survey guy see what's in his cooler. They have no salmon fishing gear on board and they are always in survival suits. There is bottom fishing gear on board though. The captain is always the same, however his "guests" are always different people. Bottomfish are a delicacy and are often found LIVE in tanks in around Vancouver and places like Victoria Drive. They are always in a late 80's/early 90's 19 foot Whaler Outrage with a 150 Mercury on the back. I see them quite often hauling out at MacDonald Beach and Vanier Park Launches and each time I ask to see in his cooler as well, the answer is a resounding "NO". Makes me wonder what may be in that VERY large cooler. Given what the limits are. I saw them over in the Gulf Islands on occasion as well...and I've been mid strait and seen them run by. I don't believe there is a K number on that boat. Next time I see them I going to take down the license number of the truck, describe the parties, and take down the trailer plate number and call the Observe Record and Report hotline with a few tips. If you're in Richmond, I can guarantee the RCMP will be probably there before you get down MacDonald Road.

What they are doing may in fact be entirely legal and they're not obligated to do the survey or produce their catch, however, failing to let a DFO Creel Survey guy see what's in the cooler when they said they did catch and retain fish is definitely highly suspicious.

If you're on this forum "guy", you know I'm referring to you..and I wouldn't be surprised if you are. In surveying thousands of people, the DFO surveyor has NEVER been denied access to someones catch---he told me so himself. I haven't had that before either, and I've helped many folks out down at local launches and Marinas on all kinds of things when in fact I went down to have a coffee and chill out when I couldn't be out on the water. As a good samaritan I've tied and selected tackle for the folks down at local launches and given out tons of advice to them. I've NEVER run across anyone as secretive, antisocial and irreverent as you.

Not to get this thread too off topic from the Vancouver reports but what who are the right people to call in order to report any poaching, etc? Is is the Observe, Record and Report hotline you mentioned? Is that DFO? Do you have the number handy? thx

Thx Pippen. Back on track now.... I'll be heading over to the Gulf Islands for the weekend and will be fishing the east side of Gabriola and Porlier Pass. Hoping a few nice fish have started to move in. Last May was a great month though I didn't get out in April at all really so I'm hoping there will already be some chrome around. Hope to have a report after the long weekend for those Vancouverites who don't mind making the run across the Straight.

I'm up for getting some blood on the new boat so I hope the fish show up soon. And a trip to Thrasher sounds like fun too! Look forward to reports.

Hey Red, did you get the Kicker all mounted and up and running?

Just spent the last three days off south bowen , and one day at the bell , not a single bite . Nice to be back on the water, looking forward to getting the new rig broken in with a nice spring.

F. M. I have to agree with you.

I have seen the same Dude or Guy you speak of and have had words with him in the Past too.

I even saw the rockies being pulled up more then the limit allowed per person on the vessel, ya gotta wonder. I hope this guy or dude gets his backside nailed and made an example of ..... time will tell ....... Keep phoning it in, call the RCMP too as they are frequenting the ramps allot more now. One of these days the Naniamo guys are going to Nail Him.

Your time is up buddy !

HT

My downriggers are almost good to go with just some wiring left to do. Then I'll do the kicker and it's ready to go.

Just spent the last three days off south bowen , and one day at the bell , not a single bite . Nice to be back on the water, looking forward to getting the new rig broken in with a nice spring.

Saw you out there on Sunday....new boat looks Purrrdy! Congrats. Yep, SFA out there right now....VERY quiet for 2 guys I know who were out there today.

I'll be out frequently over the next 2 weeks and will post reports. Massive tides, big algae blooms and frickin' NW winds messing with us right now.

F. M. I have to agree with you.

I have seen the same Dude or Guy you speak of and have had words with him in the Past too.

I even saw the rockies being pulled up more then the limit allowed per person on the vessel, ya gotta wonder. I hope this guy or dude gets his backside nailed and made an example of ..... time will tell ....... Keep phoning it in, call the RCMP too as they are frequenting the ramps allot more now. One of these days the Naniamo guys are going to Nail Him.

Your time is up buddy !

HT

I'm surprised this guy....who is quite likely a serial poacher has been getting away with it for as long as he has!

Prawn trap theives have been out hot and heavy over the last week in the Howe Sound Area. Bring out the long guns for this one...

Going back to the start of this thread...funny how this particular thread WON'T and HASN'T ACHIEVED STICKY STATUS and been pinned to the top by the moderators.......tons of good discussion, traffic, reports and contribution on this thread relative to the Nanaimo Thread right now...

That's ok Vancouver guys, if you get out fishing, POST YOUR REPORTS ON HERE! Maybe typing in CAPS will GET THE MODERATORS ATTENTION!!! LOL...

(Sorry for the shouting guys!)

gonna go WAY OUT on the limb here , could it have sumting to do with the individual that started thread !!!

ohoh

i could be wrong ,,,,

: )

fd

You bad Felix...you very bad! :) This entire forum is biased towards Vancouver Island. I don't think it's anything to do with me at all. I contribute as anyone else and as the saying goes "it takes two to tango". I don't stir it up any more than anyone else. At last I checked, this was sportfishingbc and not sportfishingvancouverisland. I don't understand the bias...

Anyways Fog Ducker, you've got Lil' Ducker and Big Ducker...I never see you on the water around Vancouver....do your part and get out and fish where you live! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
haha...

cant afford too , besides ,
when ya got a back yard named wcvi , kinda hard to get motivated to fish anywhere else...
especially in the winter,,,,

we'll be wasting some gas in the Fog Ducker Sat mornin , in the bay area ,
see if we can fry sum skin , 17 degrees they say , : )
sea trial on some new equipment is in order ,

maybe we'll see a few of yus out there..

fd

+1 on the sticky for the Vancouver 2011 Reports thread ... 14 pages into the thread I think it has earned the status for the current thread and for future Vancouver Reports threads.

Back