The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Jesus christ boys, you guys are almost being dummies with all this talk of dummy's! Was out at noon today with a buddy. 3 Sox in the boat by 230, ended up just running one rod per side and finished up with our limit of 8, some of them really good size too! Couple pinks plunked back as well. Setup that was hitting them most consistently - blue gibbs original flasher with silver tape and a peanut butter needlefish hootchie!

Demco .....really I don't intend to be negative about your success of 3 socs in 2.5 hours but if you are guiding 4-5 people on 4 hours fishing seriously read my earlier post about dummies and their use. Do you want advice or not ? ........3 socs in 2.5 hours is fun but if you want 20 socs in the same time .....get them to follow you with dummies. Do you get it yet?

Was out a T-10 last night for a couple hours and it was seemed like it was pretty quiet. Threw back one pink, had some recurring grilse challenges at approx 50 feet and managed to lose a beautiful spring on the surface (was hooked at 40 feet) when he took an explosive run and snapped my leader ... Had me swearing for a while.

I know your right peahead I was just getting a little tired of constantly resetting 4 rods and dummies and dealing with shakers - they definitley are a difference maker though. Never tried the konezone product out at Nikka because theyre so expensive - anyone like those?

In a two downrigger setup, I have had more success attracting sockeye schools and less tangle time when I have ran a kone zone right above the ball with flashers and squirts running on each side five feet and fifteen feet above the ball/kone zone versus when I have ran additional dummies on the downriggers ... I expect it is just me but I end up losing more fishing time to tangles when I run additional dummies beyond that.

My winter challenge will be to figure out how to most efficiently mount and run a third "dummy" downrigger between the twin engines on a boat where the engines are mounted at the back of the integrated swim grid/engine well that is common ona lot of the walkaround type hulls ... I am guessing it would ideally run between, and extend beyond, the engines to minimize tangle risks with the lines on the other two downriggers and with the two engines.

I have started using the kone zones this year, they look great in the water, and have had lots of success. Not many tangle ups either if any. We have had just as much success stringing 3 flashers together as well. More flash is better for sure.

Just got back from 5 days in Winter Harbour with my 2 brothers and a few good friends, great fishing trip, limited out on springs and coho. I'll post later today on the Winter Harbour site.
I haven't done a lot of local fishing and don't know too many areas but I would like to bring my kids out tomorrow so they have a chance to hopefully reel in a few fish.
I'm leaving Bridgeview marina and heading out Sandheads, would this be a good place to start for the kids?

Fishing should be good for a couple weeks still, I have been fishing south of the light house, non stop action on pinks and a few sockeye and springs in the mix. Check the forecast, NW winds can make it a little choppy out there, I am going Sunday because the winds are supposed to blow southerly which I find makes for a nicer day. Launching from Steveston will make for a closer run in the boat. Bridgeview shouldn't be to far off maybe add another 15 minutes. Watch for logs and junk in the river. Fish small pink hootchies 30-60' deep behind a flasher. We have been fishing closer in as well, 100' out to 250' seems to see more action. Good luck, should be a fun day for the kids.

moorage or anchouring in Steveston area

Planning to fish Sox around Steveston tonite and tomorrow.

It is a long run from Port Moody.

Does any anybody have some advice on moorage or anchouring in Steveston area.:confused:

I have already tried Steveston Harbour Authourity. Full.

Eastpoint

Hey Eastpoint,
I run out of mosquito creek and it takes me 15-20 minutes to get down there, your only another 10-15 from me so it shouldnt be to bad
30-35 minutes I'm guessing each way

it'll take him an hour to get from reed pt to steveston or the lightship area. takes 15-20 (for me anyhow) just to get to pt grey from mosquito creek. i trailer now and launch either at cates park or macdonald beach. takes me close to an hour to get to the lightship from cates, cruising in the low 20's range. if i were him i'd launch at macdonald and check out the north arm area 1st, then t10 before heading all the way down, may be no need to.
cheers and tight lines

Fished the hooter today for 4 1/2 hours caught 22 pinks (only kept 3) and one sox.
As I was running back up the S Arm I couldn't but help seeing all the soxs jumping , it was like last year .... WOW
I asked a local commercial fisherman if it was the pinks jumping in the river and he said "No , Soxs !" .........
Lots of fish so go out and enjoy and like every one knows just fish 40-70 ft with lots of dummy lines , using pink soxeye gear and you're in the pinks (and maybe a sox or Chinook) , they are here , from the hooter to t10 for sure .... There here ... There here !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Coho I'll be out there as well but I'm stealing one of your tricks this time..........
I'm bringing a kid!

Hit the bell buoy for a couple of hours after work and bagged a 16 white and a 12 red.
The white put on quite a show jumping around.
Will be out chasing sox in the am.
Im in the Pursuit with green canvas.

Sat AM

Be out in the morning, probably on the water around 10.
Launching at Mac Beach.
With a boatload of kids.
listening in on 88A
Say hi if you see us.
And point us in the right direction!

Back