The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0784-SALMON: Change to Sockeye Daily limit in most Southern BC Tidal Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye salmon returns provides for
increased daily limits of sockeye salmon for recreational fisheries in most
Southern B.C. marine waters as noted below:

Effective 00:01 hours Thursday, August 25 until further notice, in the
following areas, the daily limit for sockeye by recreational fishing is four
(4) per day:

- Areas 11 and 111;
- Area 12
- Area 13 (Johnstone Strait);
- Areas 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19 (Strait of Georgia);
- Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait);
- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island). Note: Area 23
(Barkley Sound and Alberni Inlet) is open to retention of Somass sockeye (refer
to FN0447);
- Area 28 (Howe Sound, Burrard Inlet and Indian Arm);
- Area 29, except Subarea 29-8 (Strait of Georgia and the tidal waters of the
Fraser River).

Sockeye retention is not permitted in the following areas:

- Area 16 - remains closed to sockeye retention in order to protect Sakinaw
Lake sockeye. Sakinaw Lake sockeye continue to migrate in to the lake and at
this time there is no proposed opening of Subareas 16-19 to 21 (Sabine
Channel);
- Area 22 (Nitinat Lake);
- Areas 24 to Areas 27 inclusive;
- Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay);

The next update regarding the status of Fraser River sockeye will be Friday,
August 26, 2011 following the next Fraser River Panel meeting.

Variation Order No. 2011-411.

Notes:

Anglers are requested to release any hatchery marked sockeye. These fish are
hatchery raised sockeye and part of a recovery program designed to increase the
numbers of Cultus and Sakinaw Lake sockeye.

Sport anglers and guides are reminded to label and submit heads from adipose
fin-clipped (hatchery-marked) Chinook and Coho salmon to the Salmon Head
Recovery Program. Recovery of coded-wire tags from recreational fishers
provides critical information for coast-wide stock assessment. For more
information and locations of Depots contact the Salmon Sport Head Recovery
Program at (866) 483-9994 or visit the following site: http://www.pac.dfo-
mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tag-etiquette/prize-prix-eng.htm

Did you witness suspicious fishing activity or a violation? If so, please call
the Fisheries and Ocean Canada 24-hour toll free Observe, Record, Report line
at (800) 465-4336.

For more information contact the local DFO office in your area for updated
information as it becomes available.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0784
Sent August 24, 2011 at 14:32
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

sandheads battling seals!

Fished sand heads from 8 am till 2pm. rolling a chovy on one side and sockeye gear on the other. Pink side gets slammed and we are into a good fish, got it to the boat after some good runs, had to be mid 20 lb spring at least. Had some good shoulders on it. Then a seal grabbed it...Sh*t!!!!! Played tug a war till the hooks popped, watched him play with it for around 15 minutes after we reset the gear and started up trolling again. Soon after we hit another spring on the sockeye gear, but much smaller around 12 lb red, kinda made up for the last one a bit. We had non stop action on the pinks, but no sockeye to the boat, probably played around 30 plus fish, then called it a day once the northwesterly wind started to pick up a bit. To many seals out there!!!!

Three guys on the boat today and we got into pinks and limited out with pinks.

The two other guys were new to the game and lost as many as we caught.

It was great action and the day was fantastic.

Fished the T10 in 100-120 ft of water with pinks squirts 20-60 feet deep !

The schools were everywhere !

But not a single pink or spring ...... where did they go !

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0784-SALMON: Change to Sockeye Daily limit in most Southern BC Tidal Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye salmon returns provides for
increased daily limits of sockeye salmon for recreational fisheries in most
Southern B.C. marine waters as noted below:

Effective 00:01 hours Thursday, August 25 until further notice, in the
following areas, the daily limit for sockeye by recreational fishing is four
(4) per day:

- Area 29, except Subarea 29-8 (Strait of Georgia and the tidal waters of the
Fraser River).

Oh isn't that nice of the DFO to increase the limit after the commercial kill !

I went out today and in 10 hours not one Sox hit , Just like the DFO !

Oh and by the way the Aggragate still remains at 4 so they really didnt give us anything more even if we could catch soxs !

Last edited by a moderator:
Sir vivor,
When trying to target those sox, are you using dummies or attractors?
Thats what we do and catch a mix of all salmon, but if we don't use dummies, the sox catch is generally lower.
Just wondering if that may help you.

HT

Sir vivor,
When trying to target those sox, are you using dummies or attractors?
Thats what we do and catch a mix of all salmon, but if we don't use dummies, the sox catch is generally lower.
Just wondering if that may help you.

HT

Excellent point HT ,
And maybe I could put down some more dummies , I use one of those flasher strings at Nikka and run 4 rods with flashers. But still no soxs.
I am going to take your advise and put down a couple more dummy flashers between the flaher/hook set ups.
I guess its just the Pinks are more active and abundent.
Isnt it great to be complaning of what your catching rather than no catch !!!

....maybe I could put down some more dummies , I use one of those flasher strings at Nikka and run 4 rods with flashers. But still no soxs......
Going slow is often the key and slowing down that fast looking boat of yours (I've seen it out there) means throwing out a bucket on a rope-if not two buckets.

Was also going to say to slow it down, we talked earlier of getting fish trolling fast but for the sockeye I run the gear so its just working 1.6 to 2 sog . I have limited out last 2 days out for the wife and I in 30 mins, or so. 4 rods with flashers spaced 15 feet apart and set back 8-10 feet. WE put a small cone zone on one ball, and a string of 3 mini flashers on the other side. Try to always keep one rod down when your into the school. See you out there this FRIDAY.

Just got to jump in here for a second- dmurph is correct about keeping at least one side down at all times. There was a comment on here a while ago on this forum from a couple fellows that didn't beleive adding 'flash' was needed to catch socs ....and in fact detered their fishing due to tangles.- tangles can be lmited with experience and more flashers does get more socs to follow and keep hitting. ...plain and simple . When you guide your job is to get as many people limited out as possible. If you run only 2 or 4 rods you will catch socs but not near as many and as quickly as those that run 4 rods ( or more) and 10-12 dummies. I often run a third rigger with just dummies when the limit is 4 aeach and you have 5 people on board ! . The way this works is to keep flash down there even if one whole side is pulled up to boat fish. The fish will continue to follow.
The problem out there right now is that so many of the schools are massive sized pinks chools ... but if you find a school of socs and are set up with a few rods and several dummies you can likely keep the soc school following you for a while and boat several soc, therefoore more likely aviod the pinks as long as you have the soc school continue to follow.

now I have to ask, cause I've only been using a daisy chain and 1 flasher per rod with limited results.
where do you guys find room for all those dummies, are you running each one on there own lead or a couple per lead?
I Think I would end up with a tangled mess, you must be running them on the lower section and your lines up above the dummies-correct?
lets say for 1 downrigger line first dummy off the ball, then next one up say 5' and back a bit more and so on using a longer lead the higher up the line
sound right? interested to see how you do it cause I'd sure like to up my odds
Thanks Tim

I like doubling up flashers on the same lead about 10'-12' long others like short leads with single flashers and about 6'.

026.jpg

1 thing i found that has helped over the years, when you have a large mix of pinks and soxs, if you are getting mostly pinks or all pinks, especially after fishing a while, keep a bucket of clean soapy water on board and wash your gear (flashers,leaders and hoochies) it can really make a difference in your sockeye catch, they don't seem to like the pink stink so much.

I run a set of flashers as above PoochBreath does, then 8 feet or so above another set of 2 in tandem or spinning flashers, then above 8 feet a flasher and hoocthie, then again 8 feet above another flasher and hootchie Ma COOTCHIEE ! and BING BANG BOOM ! SOX ON !!!!!

Let em down slow and as said already, troll only enough to make the flashers revolve, bring them in one at a time, leave the other gear down and NEVER bring it all up. You can do up to quads when fishing 4 or like last week guide buddy got a QUINT, now thats where I draw the line fishing 4 is good enough for me hhaha.

In these waters right now it's not a bad idea to set one side like this and the other strictly for spring gear with chovies, herring, spoons or ....... here it comes again HOOOOOTCHIIEEEE MMMMAAAA COOOOTCHIES !

go get em boyz they are there !

HT

I'll be Fishin HAARRD !

But not a single pink or spring ...... where did they go ![/QUOTE]
Up the River? :)

Slow, small, and straight is the key.

we were spanking sox's last weekend at 1.2 to 1.4
Also had a fresh pink for dinner, salt/pepper dash of oil, sealed in foil...on the barbie till she puffed up (about 8 mins) it was gold!
Ended up doing another side it was so good

Going slow is often the key and slowing down that fast looking boat of yours (I've seen it out there) means throwing out a bucket on a rope-if not two buckets.

With all the dummies I about to rig up, I am going to have to put another 200HP on board just to get it to troll for the socks.
See you out friday I hope !

now I have to ask, cause I've only been using a daisy chain and 1 flasher per rod with limited results.
where do you guys find room for all those dummies, are you running each one on there own lead or a couple per lead?
I Think I would end up with a tangled mess, you must be running them on the lower section and your lines up above the dummies-correct?
lets say for 1 downrigger line first dummy off the ball, then next one up say 5' and back a bit more and so on using a longer lead the higher up the line
sound right? interested to see how you do it cause I'd sure like to up my odds
Thanks Tim

Hey Tim ,
Close and tight and numerous sums it up .
whatever you have, run it :). .... but don't worry about all the different ways to get attraction . JUST GET ATTRACTION DOWN THERE . When I say tight and close , I mean close and tight! ( Especially if you run cable and you know your voltage is roughly
.500 to .700) Dummies 3'-5'-apart out 3-4' from cable and 2 or 3 dummies below your rod lines then first rod line 3-5' above those dummies and about 6' off of cable. Next rod line 8' above that ( top rod bit farther out, about 8' off cable to clear 'loop' from bottom rod ) If you have 3rd or 4th middle downriggers run all dummies or run same rig up as outside riggers (if you have a big boat with wide beam) Run canonballs that are next to each other tight, but about 5' depth difference
......ONCE YOU HAVE YOUR LIMIT,..... EXPERIMENT ........gotta love it!

Interesting comment about washing your gear after a pink touches it .....that gave me a chuckle but hey .....maybe I'll try it!

Thanks P.
I'm going to put it to the test this weekend, I'll name the first one after you.
Tim

Fished sandheads tonight, tons and tons of pinks out there. Sounder was black with pinks 30-60 feet down south of the red marker in about 120' of water. Hooked into 6, landed two. Moved on to T-10 for the last 45 minutes of sunlight hoping for some sox and hooked a couple grilse.. not much happening a t-10 tonight.

Back