The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

I'll be going to Sandheads in the morning around 6:30 launching at McDonald Beach. I was dirt bike riding all week end and sore as hell but want a few sox for the freezer.

Got a late start today hit North Arm at 1030
Fished North Arm and picked up one 12 lb white spring and nice sockeye.
Moved to T10 no action.
Ran down to Sandheads and it was non stop pinks....couldnt keep them off the hooks.
No sox at Sandheads for me today....must be doing something wrong.
Another nice day on the water

Fishing was fun today for sure- took a couple a dads and their boys out today. They don't get to fish too much so a blast when I get to show them our great fishery. Kids had an absolute hoot...many more released and lost. A mix of socs and pinks and a red chinook to add to the mix, all T10

IMG_5330aug28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Another great day for this boat too. Lots of Sox, pinks and again another Spring. Kind of a zoo out there today amongst the pack so stayed away and did great away from the crowd.

65 feet best mark, picking and choosing is fun! TONS OF FISH to play and beautiful sox to take home. As said some biggys in the mix.

Get out there!

HT

3 days in a row of non-stop action and more to come !

fished sand heads, lots of pinks no socks, got a spring I could have sworn it was a tyee, got it home after it was on ice in the cooler for about 6 hrs to get a weight, 28.5! Not a tyee, doh! What do you think lost a pound and half by the time it got home????

I didn't get out today , had to work but GREAT TO SEE YOU GUYS NAILED THEM OUT THERE !

I was wondering what happened to you Blackmax, was calling you all week and no response ..... Go Ged'em buddy !

Wow , Peahead ... The pic says it all ............. Those smiles are worth a million bucks thats for sure.

Hey Trendsetter nice socks you got ... a few big buggers for sure.

I got to wait another 8 days til I can get out (work) sure hope there is a few left out there , if not its been another great August and maybe the big Chinooks will be hitting the south arm soon in some big numbers !!

Have a safe and great day out there guys !

Planned a weekend in the Gulf Islands with my son before school was back in. Headed out from Steveston on Friday morning. Once we headed out the South Arm we saw a small group of boats into fish and a bunch of jumpers. My son prefers the bottom fishing in the Islands, but I thought I'd ask if he wanted to try for some Socs. He surprised me by saying he wanted to, so we stopped to drop some lines. The fishing was great, non-stop action. He was super happy we stopped as he got to play a bunch of fish. Many multiple hook ups and even a quad. We kept a couple of Socs and a Pink that was not able to be released. Not bad for an unplanned stop, for a couple hours.

Then it was off to the Gulf Islands, for some bottom fishing. We kept one ling for dinner, to go with the Salmon. Had a great BBQ with the family on Saltspring. Went out on Sat for more fishing around the Islands. Pinks were thick around the Pender bluffs. We kept one more Pink for the barbie. Awesome weather all weekend, nice calm water for the crossing the Strait both ways.

We stopped at the South Arm and T10 on the way back in the afternoon. Pretty good fishing again, but not quite as hot as Friday morning. Mostly Pinks, but I had one Spring on that spit the hook. All in all, an awesome weekend of sun and fishing. Doesn't get much better than that.

Glad you got out Sir-vivor, we had no cell or internet in the mountains this week-end. Can't believe I wasted a week vacation and ferry money to go to Port Albernie and catch nothing. Looks like PA better give up their title to Vancouver now.

Glad you got out Sir-vivor, we had no cell or internet in the mountains this week-end. Can't believe I wasted a week vacation and ferry money to go to Port Albernie and catch nothing. Looks like PA better give up their title to Vancouver now.

Nice to hear "No Cell or Internet" but to bad about Port Albernie, I used to fish there every year at this time for the past 25, except for the last two years.
The fishing has been devistated by the DFO and poor Port has suffered financially ..... but that the DFO !
Your rite the fishing at home is Great and we can save the hugh ferry costs and use it for more fuel and more fishing toys here at home................

Awesome job guys! I can't get hOme from this wedding in Seattle soon enough!! You guys hitting the springs on sock gear(pink squirts)?

Demco,
although I personally have targeted sox for my guests and used only Sox gear, rigging and attractors, we have managed to bring home at least one Spring on every trip recently, and yesterday it included loosing a large fish on long release hahaha. It sure is a nice surprise to see the rod POUND in the holder and feel the elusive head shake then stronger runs rather then the spinning and twisting of the sox or pinks. Been thinking of targeting springs though, it's all guest dependent. I have been getting them high and low being 45 to 75 feet. I bet the majority of the springs are deeper though. Just a thought.

Good luck

HT

Yesterday was crazy ... we ran out of the harbour early and passed by a few boats at North Arm at 645am who had their nets out and carried on down to Sandheads (should have stopped at either the North Arm or T-10). An hour and a half into Sandheads, we only had two fish in the box and had been listening to a lot of chatter about the action at T-10 so we picked up and went back to T-10. In reasonably short order at T-10, we put another 14 in the box, lost at least that many and knocked a few pinks off as we tried to box the last number of fish as sockeye. Ended up keeping 7 big sockeye for eating and 9 pinks for the smoker. Don't want to see another pink but would love to catch a few more sockeye before the run is thru.

There have been some springs hitting the pink squirts during the pink and sockeye feeding frenzy between Sandheads and the North Arm but I am not sure whether many more would hit if you dropped bait or whether the pink and sockeye would just eat their way thru the bait (we only fished squirts yesterday and did have one good spring on) ... looking forward to the September harbour and Cap fishery for that reason.

p.s. I have a newfound respect for the guides and how hard they work ... I ran the lines yesterday and watched and reset lines as others played the fish. Not sure how they can do that day in/day out when the fishing is on, particulary when you take into account the cleaning of the fish and boat.

got a call from a buddy yesterday morning who had been out in the morning with his son around the bell and had been skunked for his 5th straight trip. hes had a few bites and caught a few crab traps but had failed to get any blood recently in his newly rebuilt double eagle so he asked me to come out. we marked a lotof fish around the bell and dropped lines for half hour with nothin. I suggested the t-10 so we packed up and headed south. I got the lines in. 3 pink squirts and 1 chovie line and 10 mins later a spring hit after a bit of play time all of a sudden gone. and i mean everything flasher , quick snap swivel teaser head and fish. the knot had given out. so a quick lesson on the double cinch and we were back in. had a gong show of rods going off and he missed with the net on the first and we lost that 1 but managed to get 2 smaller pinks in the boat. reset and took another pass through our previous tack and bang another spring on the chovie. this 1 was not getting away but put up a good fight and didnt want to come in. eventually we had in the boat a 20lb red and buddy was thrilled. down again and another hit another spring. this 1 a 15lb. red that buddy played well. decide to just run 2 rods with chovies and troll from t-10 to north arm. didnt get anything else but when pulled up lines there was a grisle on the money chovie line. dont no how long we dragged him. all in all buddy was stoked and coming in we had to drive by his son driving the aquabus so he could show off his catch.
all spring hit green glow chovie head with the 2 netted on gold betsy flasher at 37ft.. the flasher lost was green glo which will be replaced
today. 80 percent of the springs i've caught locally over the years have been on green glow flasher green glow chovie combo and i wont fish vancouver without it.

Teja...you are right on about about guides eaning their money especially when they have a boat load of inexperienced anglers when there is non-stop action like we are seeing in the Vancouver chuck these days. Steady running gear up and down, driving, netting, bleeding out, keeping the boat clean and ship shape
and processing fish. I know that I am whipped after a full day on the water even when I take reasonably experienced friends with me let alone newbees.
Its really nice to have someone aboard who can run gear properly and lend a hand.

What were you doing wrong. Most people are saying PA has the best fishery that they have seen in 10 years. Every person I know has been doing great.

I guess you didn't read the thread but you did post on it. After the commies opened up it wwent to crap and thats when we got there.I'm very surprised you didn't follow Island Girls action on the matter.http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?15839-2011-Sockeye-Run-Port-Alberni/page13

Well I have to agree with Blackmax and say after being a Nanaimo resident for 20 years , I find the Vancouver Area being a more consistant fishing area than Port (Alberni inlet) in July, Aug and Sept . Maybe because it is better managed by the DFO staff, but it seems DFO in PA has only one objective and that is to **** off the sport fishing and do what ever they can to run the PA Salmon Festival into the ground (only look at the catch numbers at the festival and you will see the declines).
If you follow a long time buisnes man and long time voice of the PA sport fishing , Bob Cole, his comments will also bring the light the need for cooperation from the DFO, meaning PORT ALBERNI fishing is under pressure. Remember PA is not Bamfield and some time people say they had a great trip to Port Alberni , yet when asked where they fished they say Bamfield or Broken Isl group.
I wish Port Alberni was as great as it was in its glory days but I won't be going there every again (TO FISH PORT Alberni or the Inlet) because I have had my fair share of being shut out due to poor , very poor fishing and had to pack up and go to Bamfield.
The south arm has been producing record fishing the last couple of years, call it what you might but its going in the right direction and even the least experienced can take his family out and catch a fish in August !
I want to retire in Port Alberni because I love the area but I know I will have to go to Bamfield,Ukee or Tofino or even Port Renfrew to fish because by then I feel the DFO will have shut down the Port Alberni area to sport fishing ........ just because they can do it !
Just my 2 cents

Demco,
. I have been getting them high and low being 45 to 75 feet. I bet the majority of the springs are deeper though. Just a thought.

Good luck

HT

Hey Demco ..... Springs will hit sockeye gear for sure but if you specifically want to target chinook down there you likely would do better on them. I would be running bait for sure in an even year down there for sure, especially if sockeye were closed ( no pinks in even years to contantly steal all the expensive bait). Full size octopus hootchies are also awesome there for chinook ( I have a geen fav one ) at this time of year for springs. I feel that with our short soc leaders , short cable to flasher , high cable voltage, and multiple dummies ( the way we target socs) we may be cutting down on the numbers of chinook action. Personally , I'd freek out if I was a chinook and came up to a 'christmas tree' of flashers and pink hootchies zig zagging all over the place 20-25" from the flasher- lol.
As far as depth, HT commented that deeper may be better. I generally disagree as the chinooks come in close to the Fraser River mouth in August they come up - 'sensing' the fresh river water and the necessity to prepare for a shallow river entry they tend to normally be quite shallow off the fraser mouth no matter what time of day . And I am talking shallow, normally 25-45 ft but 50-70 ft. is also worth a try . I would rarely bother going deeper. Just from my experience and also others ( gotta give credit to others who have offered their input on this too )

Sirvivor or Sirvivor II,
Best watch your hands bringing up your floats off the T10.
That place was a gong show yesterday and I saw 2 different boats tangled there down riggers with your float lines to your traps. Hopefully they did not leave hooks in there. When the wind came in early yesterday afternoon for the N/W it did become challenging with the weekend boaters and mini cruise ships trying to fish the area so I moved out and away to less traffic areas and Still hammered them. There was no sense hanging with the pack there. Nothing meant by this BUT ....... I have had many many traps stolen or cut over the years and it seems if you set right where every one wants to fish it's bound to happen. If I were you I would move them a little further then right at a prime fishing destination, just set them a little further away to avoid loosing them. I hope you do still have them and did not get any hooks while lifting them.

Just a thought.

Peahead, I too have hit many Springs shallow too but for some reason have had my best luck with a green and white big hootch, or whole herring in a teaser, 32 to 42 inch leader at 85 feet. There are soon to be some HUGE biggys coming and man I can't wait, they are strong powerfull fish and as you say I want to avoid the chance of loosing the biggies on my sockeye Christmas trees.

HT

Sirvivor or Sirvivor II,
Best watch your hands bringing up your floats off the T10.
That place was a gong show yesterday and I saw 2 different boats tangled there down riggers with your float lines. Hopefully they did not leave hooks in there. When the wind came in early yesterday afternoon for the N/W it did become challenging with the weekend boaters and mini cruise ships trying to fish the area so I moved out and away to less traffic areas and Still hammered them. There was no sense hanging with the pack there. Nothing meant by this BUT ....... I have had many many traps stolen or cut over the years and it seems if you set right where every one wants to fish it's bound to happen. If I were you I would move them a little further then right at a prime fishing destination, just set them a little further away to avoid loosing them. I hope you do still have them and did not get any hooks while lifting them.

Just a thought.

HT

Thanks for the Heads up HT, but not my traps !
I haven't set a trap out on the Straight since the commis were giving the go ahead and one of them emptied it (I think May) !
When I was last at t10 I had two newbees with me and while I was at the back of the boat, and a newbe at the helm he didnt watch the depth and we ran the canon balls on the shallow (balls down at 65 and dept was 40 .......wow we had a mess). and it might have looked like I was putting out traps LOL
Nop not mine but thanks again for the heads up.

Back