The Little Things

Great idea for a nice positive thread Stizzla - thanks

So many things...………..

Seeing the smile on my sons face and him getting up willingly at 04:45
Seeing a sunrise on the West Cost of the Island
Feeling a nice spring or crazy coho on the end of your line
Bottom fishing - all aspects
Knowing you had all the right gear and planned properly
Doing it yourself and being successful knowing that fishing in the ocean can be difficult at times
Having cool experiences and seeing amazing things that make great memories with my son

Great idea for a nice positive thread Stizzla - thanks

So many things...………..

Seeing the smile on my sons face and him getting up willingly at 04:45
Seeing a sunrise on the West Cost of the Island
Feeling a nice spring or crazy coho on the end of your line
Bottom fishing - all aspects
Knowing you had all the right gear and planned properly
Doing it yourself and being successful knowing that fishing in the ocean can be difficult at times
Having cool experiences and seeing amazing things that make great memories with my son
You bet friend! I was one of those kids too. 6 years old. 3:45 wake up to fish at sooke and I’m some so excited, that I’m sprinting laps (in the dark) up and down the driveway as my dad loads the boat. I still sprint to the dock after unloading my boat and parking my trailer. Some things never change!

Last edited:
You bet friend! I was one of those kids too. 6 years old. 3:45 wake up to fish at sooke and I’m some so excited, that I’m sprinting laps (in the dark) up and down the driveway as my dad loads the boat. I still sprint to the dock after unloading my boat and parking my trailer. Some things never change!
I jog from the parking lot to the boat too! It actually kinda frustrates me to see others sauntering during the gong-show days at the ramp. Like c'mon! I'm going to miss the tides!

When your 14" tinny on your canopy rack .cuz your trialer broke.motor light enough to lift with boat loader.oh ya we lifed the deer and # aswell. fishing was for the other months .what little thing keeps me fishing .is having the right tools and the right resorses at the right time.are you the leader with a good plan?

Heading down the Bay hill on a 10 speed to "snag" a herring under the Cowichan Bay dock in winter then casting out waiting on a hit. Had to hay all summer to get my first boat that Pier 66 would accept on a slip, 14 years old. Good times

As others have mentioned, a great thread Stizzla.

Having a boat and the luxury of being able to fish provides so many memories. One of my favourites was the first time my grandson, 7yrs old at the time, slept over so we could go fishing early next morning. I told him I would wake him at 5am. I got up at 4:30 and was going to go downstairs to make lunch for the day. Opened the bedroom door and he was kneeling on the floor waiting for me, all dressed and ready to go. Asked why he was up so early and he said he was making sure I didn't go fishing without him. We spent an absolute awesome day together on the water and I often think about the million and 1 questions he asked me that day. Can't remember if we caught a fish that day or not but it really didn't matter.

Having a boat and the luxury of being able to fish provides so many memories. One of my favourites was the first time my grandson, 7yrs old at the time, slept over so we could go fishing early next morning. I told him I would wake him at 5am. I got up at 4:30 and was going to go downstairs to make lunch for the day. Opened the bedroom door and he was kneeling on the floor waiting for me, all dressed and ready to go. Asked why he was up so early and he said he was making sure I didn't go fishing without him. We spent an absolute awesome day together on the water and I often think about the million and 1 questions he asked me that day. Can't remember if we caught a fish that day or not but it really didn't matter.
Awesome story

I got a little misted up from that! Thanks Newf

Awesome story!

Good job with such an uplifting thread Stizzla!
The little things for me would be the macro life. After many years when you think you have seen it all one can just get down on their hands and knees to take a closer look and there will be a whole new world of macro and micro life to enjoy for years to come.
I have been fortunate enough to tour the coast many times exploring remote inlets, beaches and streams. Throwing the anchor over and turning the engines off is always a special moment. The anticipation of whatever treasure is going to be on the beach, what fish are waiting for us in the stream or what is left in the ghost town always gets my senses tingling!! Another special time would be the end of a day at camp when everyone is relaxed, full and sipping on a bevy sharing hunting and fishing stories! Ummm oh, something about sleeping on the boat. It's like I have gone back into the womb. Somehow six hours of sleep on a lightly rocking boat recharges me more than nine hours at home in bed!

I'm reluctant to blow anymore smoke up Stizzla's butt for fear of him floating away:D
So I'll just say this.
This thread really shows how many memories are made on the water and how important fishing is to a bunch of tax paying recreational fishermen.
Sure be nice to see this thread get sent to some of the folks that made decisions in this country.
Just saying

Stizzla, line through the head first time!! Especially on the chrome heads, when there is that little bit of paint? still covering it, and you've lined it up so perfectly it blasts right through... that one, that's the one that will get the tyee. It's ready to work!

First light, shallow water, mooching rods, rubbing next to the kelp... nothing beats that, especially on the north coast of Haida Gwaii. Anyone lucky enough to have spent time there knows the feeling. High slack, water starts to trickle, adrenaline starts to pulse, 7 pulls, rod doesn't buckle, but slowly corks over and then the head shakes start. Full body head shakes, rod tip pulsing a couple feet either way on each toss of the 40? 50? pounder's head! The behemoth blows up on the surface, shows off it's adipose fin the size of beer can, tail as broad as flasher, and shoulders that make the Rock a little jealous. Here comes that adrenaline, now exploding through your body like the line off your reel. And then, pop. He spits it..... he spat it?! He SPAT it?! But I set it perfectly, those hooks were in, I crushed it, he was already taking line, the drag was perfect, are those hooks sharp, razor sharp. He spat it!?

Ahhhh, but there's honestly nothing that makes me want to keep fishing more than those moments, that one, THE one, that keeps you searching for that adrenaline pulse. The landed fish are always great, but it's the ones we don't get that are the not so little things that really keep me excited on the water.

Also, anytime the sun is on the horizon, the beers are flowing, and friends and family are onboard with smiles on their faces.

Can't wait for summer to return!

3 words.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

For me the little things seem to have changed over the years. first was the catching , Then it was the learning all the secretes to catching , Then it was the competition, Trying to catch the most and biggest. Now days it's spending time with my Dad who got me addicted to fishing as a small boy. Now the catching and big fish are just a bonus.

Back