The Little Things

The best part is taking first timers out and watching them get a good fish.

My all time favourite was I took a 10 year old fishing crazy boy from New Zealand and his uncle out one day. The pinks were thick, THICK, that day. I’ll bet that kid played 35 fish, we couldn’t keep the lines in the water.

When I realized it was going to be an epic outing, I taught the kid to run the gear and I let him have at it as I drove the boat while his uncle sat there with a smile you couldn’t scrub off his face with a wire brush. That was a fun day!!

1 running at dawn out to the highway in a flat sea
2 being thier first
3 haveing the lines in and anticipating the first yank off the rigger!!
4 seeing the guests all pumped up after they land a beauty!! Nothing better !
5 returning to the dock with full limits by 1 pm ahhhh. Life’s good !!!!

I am--therefore I fish.......
Cheers! Been on here for a few years, to a good rum and coke, @Cuba Libre all the best! What is this thread? I remember as a child, fishing the White, Elk, Bull rivers in the East Kootenays. Fishing Deer Lake with a fly rod before it became Whitetail and all the restrictions, fishing Whiteswan in Bonds bay (?!?!) It is just kind of what we do? @walleyes you are around the east kooteny area arn't you?

So much to love about it but one of my favourite things is when I’m putting out my line at the crack of dawn. I don’t know about anyone else but that feeling I get is like it’s the first time all over again.

I’d guess coming in at dusk after a full day on the water, tired and hungry would come in at the top of my list too.

If you ever step foot on my boat you will notice a lot of my stuff is old.Deep lines some rods and reels,flashers,lures even the gaff and bonker.
A lot of my gear belonged to my Dad and his Dad and it brings back memories of me fishing with them and when I'm able to get a fish to the boat with a little piece of them it's priceless :)

If you ever step foot on my boat you will notice a lot of my stuff is old.Deep lines some rods and reels,flashers,lures even the gaff and bonker.
A lot of my gear belonged to my Dad and his Dad and it brings back memories of me fishing with them and when I'm able to get a fish to the boat with a little piece of them it's priceless :)
Very cool! I throw out my rod and reel after each outing and buy a new one. Maybe I should stop doing that.

This.

I still get the feeling of giddy anticipation as I lie in bed the night before I fish. Same feeling I’ve been getting since I was a kid about to head out on a fishing trip with my dad and grandpa.

I have a couple of my grandpa’s old lures hanging in my workshop. Some of them I never saw him use, but they were always like familiar old friends peeking out from the trays of his tackle box. His last ever fishing licence is stapled to the wall in my shop.

Back