Tales From The Tyee Pool...........2016....

Early morning at first light is popular although not necessarily the most productive time.

An hour or so after the midday flood starts can produce too and there are a few guys who always work that time hanging spoons off the corner of the bar.

The evening time is most popular and when the "bite" comes on it can be pretty exciting with several hook-ups happening in a short period.

You can always go to the Tyee Club website and check the catch records page to see what times the fish were caught too, if that's any help.

http://www.tyeeclub.org/catch-records/catch-records-history/

Good luck when you get out.

Take care.
Thanks Dave

You are welcome.

This morning I walked Buddy down to the Clubhouse to check on things and to allow him to de-water himself as required.

The first thing Bob said upon looking up from his breakfast was: "Mike (Mackie) went through the catch records again and the number of only 11 Tyee in July was wrong. It's actually 75."

So, turns out I was misled and then passed it on. I did think the number seemed small considering I knew two guys who registered Tyee in July and didn't think it was all that rare, but after that bit circulated a few of the old crew started questioning it again, particularly when two of them have three in July each and knew of others.

So, July is not quite as hopeless as I may have made it out to be it appears.

But August is here now so hope and anticipation are waxing every day.

Take care.

BIG NEWS!!!

Bruce (the Goose) Aikman rowed the first Tyee of this year last night................and I missed it!!

I left the Clubhouse last night just after 7:00 PM after noting RD apparently playing a fish way out in the river-mouth wondering if he might have first Tyee.

I had company coming so off I went, blithely unaware that Bruce would hook his client up less than an hour later.

Weighmaster Bob had been looking northward also and was quite surprised when Bruce showed up with a fish, caught from the other direction it seems.

Anyway, I have no pic of the fish but I do have a pic of the board with something on it never seen before apparently, as nobody can recall any first Tyee of the year landed by Bruce under Tyee Club Rules, although he has registered others.

I am stoked as can be he got it and am looking for rod-holders now.

I'll be calling my regulars shortly as fresh fish in the pool is always a good sign.

Here's a neat little update/addition created by one of the members whose name I can't recall right now. I think it was Jules and if it wasn't I'll make the correction. LOL

I'm tempted to place a Sardine there and demand Bob weigh it after pushing the trough aside in order to follow the instructions. LOL

And here's the sight we all like to see, numbers on the big board.

I'll post a pic of the fish when I get one and here's hoping we get many more.

Stoked for Bruce and I'll bet he DID give three hard strokes from the heart when that fish struck.

Edit: It was Jules who made the trough but now they need to change the little sign.
My mind works just fine. My Mom had me tested.

Take care.

Last edited:
Happy for Bruce. That's awesome

Me too but he scolded me tonight as we passed in the pool regarding what looked like a reference by me as to his lack of success previously, written in another post above.

He has registered five Tyee previously but none the current Weighmaster had weighed in, which is what I had in my head when I was typing I guess, so that, coupled with my mangled attempt at communicating in that previous post made it seem like I was questioning his success in the pool.

My bad and I apologized to Bruce profusely. I hate goofing up like that.

Here's the pic of Bruce in blue and the newest member of the Tyee Club, Mr. Racho Jordanov. Apparently Racho told Bruce he has to be in Singapore on the 18th. so had until then to get in the club. Bruce certainly obliged quickly.

Racho-Jordanov-new-member-34-5-lbs-Aug-2-2016-on-a-plug-rowed-by-Bruce-Aikman.jpg

Anyway, the venerable Mike Benjestorf managed to subdue a 20 pounder tonight I'm told and any fish caught at this time of the month is encouraging for sure.

I feel really good too so raring to go.

Take care.

So happy for Bruce, can't wait to get back for another row across the bar, not in the cards this year, hopefully next as I do indeed want to see the three hardest strokes straight from the heart!

Thanks for the updates Dave and good luck!!!

Bruce is one of those guys you realize " you don't know what you got till he's gone." He is a bit quirky and his stories seem a bit tall at times, but they don't come much more salt of the earth than him. He has spent more time on the water than off I'm convinced. His health is declining, but he's out there for the sheer love of guiding and being on the water.

Have known Bruce since the late 80's, and indeed he is an awesome fisher and a highliner.
Not surprised that he got the first this year. Great job Bruce. .......BB

It's a rainy Monday morning as I sit here but the rain is most welcome in my books and should help with many little creeks around here, hopefully.

I've been out rowing a few times but no joy so far although there have been five undersized fish weighed in so there are fish here now.

Had a brother-sister combo out last night and that made for some interesting weight distribution problems to deal with. He's 260 lbs. and she's about 115, so getting the boat trimmed required some judicious bum wiggling on the seat. I think I rowed half the time leaning over to assist with it all as it's difficult rowing a lop-sided boat. Good exercise though.

I think the early success by Bruce got everyone enthused but looking at the records it's usually just about now the first good arrival of fish is noted and every day brings us closer to having a better shot at success now and going forward.

I'm still scrounging a bit for rod-holders so if any of you peeps would like a guided tour of the Tyee Pool for free and can handle sitting in a small boat for a couple of hours let me know and I'll fit you in.

In the meantime, it's back to watching American politics, the best circus ever. :D:D

Take care.

If I lived closer I would definitely take you up on that, Dave. What an offer! When I was a kid fishing in Bamfield with my dad, he would tell me all about guys catching tyees off the docks, and the Tyee Club, and it all seemed too good to be true!

Who would you rather take for a row in the pool: Hillary or Donald? :D

Too bad we missed you yesterday Dave. My wife, daughter and I were at the clubhouse getting the full tour yesterday early afternoon. Love all the old history in the house, will definitely be coming back to sit by the fire and watch all the boats soon :)

If I lived closer I would definitely take you up on that, Dave. What an offer! When I was a kid fishing in Bamfield with my dad, he would tell me all about guys catching tyees off the docks, and the Tyee Club, and it all seemed too good to be true!

Who would you rather take for a row in the pool: Hillary or Donald? :D

Would I have to return the one chosen to the beach afterwards?? ;);)

Hmmm..

Take care.

I'm still scrounging a bit for rod-holders so if any of you peeps would like a guided tour of the Tyee Pool for free and can handle sitting in a small boat for a couple of hours let me know and I'll fit you in.

In the meantime, it's back to watching American politics, the best circus ever. :D:D

Take care.
Wow what a great offer Dave!! Hope some folks take you up on it. One day mate.

See you on Saturday Dave! Looks like a nice tide. Good luck during the week, hope the action continues...

Hi Dave,

I'm currently visiting the area and would love to take you up on your generous offer, if it's still good!

Dave C

Hi Dave,

I'm currently visiting the area and would love to take you up on your generous offer, if it's still good!

Dave C

Hi Dave,

The next evening I have not spoken for is the 21st of Aug I'm afraid.

Had a good response.

If you will still be around then I'd be happy to take you out but need to know soon.

Hope you can make it.

Take care.

Dave

Hi Dave,

The next evening I have not spoken for is the 21st of Aug I'm afraid.

Had a good response.

If you will still be around then I'd be happy to take you out but need to know soon.

Hope you can make it.

Take care.

Dave

Wish I'd have seen this sooner then! Headed back to Alberta on Saturday, until next year. Will have to be content with fishing the river or beach for pinks. Thanks anyway!

Dave

No new Tyee to report but a 26 1/2 was weighed this morning.

Any day now. :D

Take care.

Hi Dave, if you still need rod men I would love to go out....last year you took myself and my nephew out and he has a wonderful time.

Hi Dave, if you still need rod men I would love to go out....last year you took myself and my nephew out and he has a wonderful time.

I have the 30th and 31st open.

Either work for you?

Take care.

Back